Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/hiphop/Outlet brand" vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL is not"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yeah you are correct about that. A person I knew ran up to me once and was showing off his suit to me, he thought it was Polo, but it was Lauren (Green Tag). I tried to explain to him the difference but he thought I didn't know what I was talking about and said "I got it from Macys so y'know, I think I know what i bought." Sad part was that the suit costed him $180...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i've got my own weirdness with polo. it's the one brand that reliably fits me pretty close to perfect. i own a lot of it (by my plebeian standards). but i refuse to buy logo-ed stuff even though it might be perfectly well made. is this reverse snobbism? probably.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

There's a certain logic to it. Most people wearing Polo branded stuff are wearing it because of the stupid horse. You know that, don't want that image for yourself, and thus refuse to wear them. I don't like paying to advertise a brand, so I try to avoid that sort of thing. I have some BB polos with the little sheep on them, but nobody knows wtf it is and so it doesn't bother me.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I thrifted a Green label (made in Canada) suit that is quite nice. Half-canvassed, decent fabric. It's a different universe from the ones you find at Macys these days, not sure what how old it is but apparently they used to make decent stuff.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Pics or it didn't happen

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i've had this happen too. thumbing through the racks doing the "touch test" and think "this could be something nice". then you pull it out and it's lauren, or university club and pass. guess i'm not just pretentious about food.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have given up on thrift shops all together. My g/f finds nice women's things from time to time, but when I am in them I just like educating her on proper names of patterns on sport coats. Which means, of course, I am just talking to myself.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Well, Nacho Figueras is an Argentine pro, not an american polo player. And if PRL were paying me the kind of bank they are paying him, I'd probably wear their stuff, too. The fact remains that polo players in the U.S. really don't like Ralph Lauren because his company had been kind of a dick.

RL decided to appropriate the image of polo for his own business. And then he expanded his business to every conceivable product known to man. The people who actually created the image of polo, by actually playing it, were, not too surprisingly, kind of annoyed by this. At one time, PRL was effectively claiming sole ownership of the right to use any image of a guy on a horse with a polo mallet. I believe they were also claiming the all rights to the word "polo," though I could be wrong about this.

And what difference does it make whether they contract out their clothing manufacture to Jordache? It's not like Ralph is sewing all those Big Pony logos on himself. AFAIK, even PRL, contracts out to other companies and factories.

9. patrickBOOTH

There is nothing more alpha and 1% than being paid to wear something. Definitely SF approved.

10. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

True true.. but he had good grounds from a business perspective to sue the likes of Polo magazine - which actually began to reshape its magazine to include the polo playing lifestyle rather than just the sport itself.

In any case, Ralph Lauren started the clothing line - created the iconic logo - marketed the shit out of his lines - gained recognition and honor.. then US POLO ASSN decided to ride the wind and create its own line that is awfully similar to the PRL line. In the business world that is grounds to sue, to protect the company and to stop letting the other company enter its marketshare. US POLO ASSN. I mean, seriously.. if you are gonna ride the tailwind at least put some creativity into it. They decided to just mass produce a similar 'big logod' with the number '3' on the sleeve polo that Ralph Lauren had been producing for years before they were. They claimed rights to the brand name 'Polo' when associated with the lifestyle brand and clothing brand that Ralph Lauren has created over the years - its not like he went out and sued Volkswagen.

Jordache plays a key role in all of this because the US POLO ASSN brand is simply licensed out to them. From the court case:

11. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I think there absolutely has been brand dilution. When someone asks, it's just not the same to tell someone your Darlton's are from Ralph Lauren, which is pedestrian, b/c 99% of the population does not know there are different RL lines/calibers, and 99% of the population owns some sort of mall/outlet "Ralph Lauren" article...vs. telling them they are some out of reach obscure English shoe brand they have never heard of (C&J) . Let's face it....

12. patrickBOOTH

I was with a friend at an RL store in soho a year or two ago and he picked up some darltons and asked me who made them, because they were shell. I told him Crockett & Jones. A SA was like, no I am pretty sure we have our own factory. I was like no, you don't, trust me. He went to ask his boss. He was surprised.

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I will admit to this. When someone asks who makes my RL or even BB shoes I always respond with the actual maker (C&J, AS, Alden, etc).

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why would anyone be impressed by a maker he hadn't heard of? Do you offer a helpful explanatory description such as "These are made by the venerable English firm of Crockett & Jones, established 1879"?

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I don't do it to impress people. I've found "impressing people" to be a losing battle. For me, it's one of two things. Both are outlandish but, then again, I spend all day on here, so... yea...

1. I am introducing them to a new brand. There are so many ignorant guys out there that there is a part of me that hopes when one of them sees my shoes and asks where they're from, they will be interested enough to follow up and see what the deal is with the brand. I know this is absurd but, surprisingly, I have had some friends come back and be like "I looked into those shoes..." Though generally that statement is followed by "Why in the Hell do you pay that much for shoes?"

2. I have completely drank the SF Kool Aid on finding out who makes which shoes. I find myself actually being disappointed in the amount of effort I put into this research. But, nonetheless, it is the sad truth. If I do enough research to justify paying $XXX for a pair of shoes, then the maker I am actually buying is generally front-of-mind. I find myself saying the original maker because that is all I think of when I think of my shoes.

Again, both of these border on absurd but I can tell no lie. :embar: