Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/hiphop/Outlet brand" vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL is not"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Nov 1, 2011.

1. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

Listen to the implication you just made:
    unless i misunderstood your point, you're stating that the fact that a "lower class person" is wearing RL automatically means the brand has been "diluted"?

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

4. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

That is true - it is easily accessible by anyone with around $10, maybe less. My brother once bought a Polo from Macy's for about $6.99. As a person he seems like someone who wants everyone to experience Ralph Lauren, which means he doesn't mind it becoming diluted - but they do a good job of keeping it a well recognized brand that people praise above most other Outlet brands. It may be diluted and thought of as an expensive brand that can be bought for cheap, but for the most part its still a great brand.

5. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Just because he was wearing comfortable shoes doesn't make him lower class.

What you need to tell us was he bald? That's the telling thing .

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I was in the RL store in DC the other day. There's surely better or as good quality to be had for a lower price if you spend enough time researching and looking hard enough, but there is a LOT of permanent style and great items from the Polo line. If the attempt here is to say that RL has "sold out" and is now equivalent to Boss or D&G, I heartily disagree. Someone buying most of their clothing at RL and coordinating it well would be paying more than they have to, but would be quite well dressed IMHO.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Problem I think is with the word 'polo', it's a common noun and so it gets used on many things like clothes, cars, sweets, the game with horses, etc. 'Polo' is a frequently used name for clothing in China, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Ralph Lauren. Similar with other common nouns like 'golf', 'rugby', 'soccer', 'fashion' and 'vogue'

AFAIK 'polo' is a common noun and dictionary word and so is different from an artificially made up word like 'Prorsum', which is a registered trademark of Burberry.

BTW there is a clothing and fancy goods store near where I live that has the charming title of 'Beverly Hills Polo Club', of course it's nowhere near Beverly Hills or the USA. Although most people round here wouldn't really care because they don't read English, however it looks nice in red neon.

EDIT:

I wonder if Giorgio Armani have a similar problem with 'emporio', 'collezioni' and 'exchange', all of which are common nouns(English or Italian) and dictionary words.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's the beauty though. Yes, it means this, but at the same time, it means the Rhinelander mansion, and the Ralph and Ricky Ranch (yeah, I wear a lot of RRL), and Ralph Lauren's famous stable of cars and horses. The man is a marketing genius. I can also tell you, first hand, that when it comes to advertising, they hold every fucking card. I mean, the entire deck. You get to say yes sir, no sir, either way, sir, I'd like it hard in the butt.

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

'Prorsum' is Latin for 'forwards'...

10. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I've been here for a while, and I don't recall anybody saying that PRL was junk. I own lots of it, just like a bunch of folks here. I love their dress shirts.

Also, I'm gonna play the race card.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I use to be a lower class person, and i did find that it was difficult to wipe off the "lower class" sign stamped on my forehead with a PRL handkerchief. Luckily, it came right off with a Hermes handkerchief though... :laugh:

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Romanes eunt domus!! :nodding:

13. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I'm assuming that is a "FTFY" for Reev's title and OP. They both reek of racism.

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

That's where I stopped reading.