• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognitive Dissonance: "Timeless wool overcoat" vs "Leather buttons are so outdated"

Would you wear an overcoat with leather buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't understand what cognitive dissonance means.

Leather buttons are SF approved so this thread is abort-worthy

You don't understand what steampunk means.

You still dress like ****

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worry less about the buttons on the coat and more about the fact that you have forgotten to button your collar and that your pants are too large/long

Unbuttoned after work. Sprezz!

Actually, the pants are a perfect fit. They are ball hugging Mabitex, you fool.
This is proof you don't actually wear conservative business dress, otherwise, you'd know better.
Some of us actually wear these clothes to a real job.
Not just fantasize about the "fits" from pinned fashion spreads on the internet that do not exist/function in the real world.
LOLZ. Now back to your mother's basement, troll.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't understand what cognitive dissonance means.

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously..

One the one hand, I get a coat that is made from thick wool, making me love the jacket.
On the other hand, I know the coat has outdated buttons, making me realize the jacket is not so great.
There is now a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions simultaneously.
I wear the jacket anyway, dismissing the buttons as SF fetishism.

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously..
One the one hand, I get a coat that is made from thick wool, making me love the jacket.
On the other hand, I know the coat has outdated buttons, making me realize the jacket is not so great.
There is now a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions simultaneously.
I wear the jacket anyway, dismissing the buttons as SF fetishism.

There is no dilemma. You like the coat fabric, you don't like the buttons. Wearing the buttons on the coat just means you're too lazy to PM iroh to find out how to replace them.

I know with all the new younger talent on the forum you'd slipped a little, but jeez.

P.S. You still don't know what coginitive dissonance means - although you can google a definition of it.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no dilemma. You like the coat fabric, you don't like the buttons. Wearing the buttons on the coat just means you're too lazy to PM iroh to find out how to replace them.
P.S. You still don't know what coginitive dissonance means - although you can google a definition of it.

Sorry, it is you who does not understand the definition.
I feel the jacket is great and crap at the same time.
It fits the definition perfectly.

If not, go ahead and explain it to us. Right now, I know it better than you do.
Please prove otherwise, or please STFU and stop trying to look intelligent with nothing to back it up.

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your "definition" posed by this poll is that you have conflicting thoughts simultaneously - that causes anguish, discomfort, etc.

Saying that you think that the jacket is "crap" and "great" is not because of anything in internal conflict.

There are two distinct thoughts:

1. You dislike the buttons
2. You like the thick wool

This is not cognitive dissonance.

Here's my definition:

Cognitive dissonance: Subj. Reev desperately seeks peer approval, yet is ashamed to admit it.

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FOCKk, it's not cognitive dissonance when YOU have a different opinion from OTHERS. You think Jews all suffer cognitive dissonance due to Muslims, and vice versa??? Fock.

You said YOU like the coat. You said YOU don't care about the buttons, therefore you wear the coat. Where is the dissonance?

It doesn't even matter what SF thinks - you said (claimed) you don't care.

Here's a kindergarten example that maybe your kindergarten brain can understand: A little boy can't afford to launder his shirts even though he knows he wants to. He covers his shirt stains with CVS tape, convinces himself he is super clean, and calls it Spujaturra.

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FOCKk, it's not cognitive dissonance when YOU have a different opinion from OTHERS. You think Jews all suffer cognitive dissonance due to Muslims, and vice versa??? Fock.
You said YOU like the coat. You said YOU don't care about the buttons, therefore you wear the coat. Where is the dissonance?
It doesn't even matter what SF thinks - you said (claimed) you don't care.
Here's a kindergarten example that maybe your kindergarten brain can understand: A little boy can't afford to launder his shirts even though he knows he wants to. He covers his shirt stains with CVS tape, convinces himself he is super clean, and calls it Spujaturra.

lol. But let's not discourage the guy. You can't make this **** up.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poll: Would you wear a vintage overcoat with leather buttons? (Answer above)
2a77olu.jpg

They're not real leather buttons anyway are they? They look like those plastic ones, pretending to be leather buttons.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads