• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognitive Dissonance: "Timeless wool overcoat" vs "Leather buttons are so outdated"

Would you wear an overcoat with leather buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poll: Would you wear a vintage overcoat with leather buttons? (Answer above)

2a77olu.jpg

A dapper older gentleman I know handed down to me one of his classic wool overcoats.
I must say, it's a damn good coat. It is twice as heavy and thick as my current "stylish" overcoat.
I thanked him b/c I know I will get some use out of it, as temperatures drop for winter.

This coat has leather buttons. I believe they are not SF approved, as they are outdated
(....along with other random fashion trends like long jackets, low gorges, and wide ties)

I then realized I had another installment of Cognitive Dissonance on my hands!

The idea of one gentleman passing along his heirloom jacket to the next generation is the ultimate in steam-punk wet-dream romanticism found on SF.

The groupthink adherence to stylish & current fashion trends is another.

So, please answer the poll above...

Other classic Cognitive Dissonance threads by Reev:

Cognitive Dissonance: "I Love My Classic Vintage Harris Tweed" Vs. "Jackets With A Low Gorge...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/268024/...a-low-gorge-are-embarrassingly-outdated/0_100

Cognitive Dissonance: "Logos Are Tacky" Vs. "My Timeless Designer Sunglasses Have A Prominent Logo"
http://www.styleforum.net/t/267506/...signer-sunglasses-have-a-prominent-logo/0_100

Cognitive Dissonance: "Polo = Prole/Hiphop/Outlet Brand" Vs. "Ralph Lauren/RLPL Is Not"
http://www.styleforum.net/t/272802/...utlet-brand-vs-ralph-lauren-rlpl-is-not/0_100

Last edited:

Gattopardo

Reaction score
These "Cognitive Dissonance" threads just get sillier and sillier. I hope you are paying that phrase extra.

In any event, two points:
a) Where have you picked up this idea that leather buttons are outdated? I think you've just pulled it out of thin air. While they may often appear on garments whose other features (e.g., very low gorges, heavily-padded shoulders,single or no vents) are currently out of style, or that they are typically associated with tweeds and other "rustic" garments, I don't think that it's the buttons themselves that give the outdated sense.

b) Buttons are not a permanent feature of a garment. If you think they lend the overcoat a dated air, you could change them out quite easily.

If you want feedback on the overcoat, you should post better pictures of it. From what I can see, it looks very nice, and I would wear it.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These "Cognitive Dissonance" threads just get sillier and sillier. I hope you are paying that phrase extra.
In any event, two points:
a) Where have you picked up this idea that leather buttons are outdated? I think you've just pulled it out of thin air. While they may often appear on garments whose other features (e.g., very low gorges, heavily-padded shoulders,single or no vents) are currently out of style, or that they are typically associated with tweeds and other "rustic" garments, I don't think that it's the buttons themselves that give the outdated sense.
b) Buttons are not a permanent feature of a garment. If you think they lend the overcoat a dated air, you could change them out quite easily.
If you want feedback on the overcoat, you should post better pictures of it. From what I can see, it looks very nice, and I would wear it.

Some recent thread was bashing a guy's blazer b/c of the outdated leather buttons.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for feedback, as I don't care what I look like in 15 degree weather, and neither does anyone else.
The wool is thick as hell, looks fine to me, and I am going to use this outdated jacket all winter!

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep those leather buttons. The same buttons in suede are very nice on a sport coat.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, the point of this thread is .. ?

It's a Reevolving thread. Pretty much all of his threads are just to stir up the crowd.

Tweedy

Reaction score
Would be nice to see the actual coat? Leather buttons are good :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads