• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style

richstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Why not? Why is a collar bar/pin acceptable with a DB but not a BD. I like the look, even with the FC's.

4-p21.jpg

One sartorial expert who knew CG well told me he had his own 'treatment' for everything--collars, cuffs, etc., etc. He expressed himself through clothes as well as other media.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richstyle
CG did that a lot--paired the button-down with a more formal looking suit and ensemble. Why? It's a mystery RT
I am about half way through the book and I am wondering if the buttondown had something to do with what you described for his technique of hiding his neck length , like what he did for buttoning the top bottom and pulling the collar up. I have to say , I love this book, it is my reward at the end of the day to read 30 mins worth. I bought it for the pictures and have loved the writing. To me the neat thing about him was that he was a person I would respect regardless of his profession. I always found the descriptions I have read of people like Beau Brummell and his habits to be strange and ugly. Nothing I would want in my own life. CG on the other hand had the perfect balance of interest in ones appearance and being a normal , caring person. The only thing I still can't figure out is what was with the 5 marriages.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too found the five marriges, to be excessive. Not crazy about the nylon underpants, either. Nylon acquires a fierce, odor, comfortable and revealing though it may be.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I too found the five marriges, to be excessive. Not crazy about the nylon underpants, either. Nylon acquires a fierce, odor, comfortable and revealing though it may be.

I was thinking the same thing but I thought that since I don't own or intend to own any that I must of been wrong.

I was surprised by the suit on page 119, I used a magnifying glass but did you notice that the stripes match perfectly on the shoulder seam. I thought that was impossible, or so I read either here or on AAAC.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I thought that was impossible, or so I read either here or on AAAC.
It's not impossible. It can happen if the cloth pattern and suit's paper pattern combine fortuitously to make a perfect match, or if the tailor stretches and shrinks the cloth to force the stripes to match. The former is a matter of luck. The latter, most tailors consider to be unwise.

richstyle

Reaction score
I am about half way through the book and I am wondering if the buttondown had something to do with what you described for his technique of hiding his neck length , like what he did for buttoning the top bottom and pulling the collar up.

I have to say , I love this book, it is my reward at the end of the day to read 30 mins worth. I bought it for the pictures and have loved the writing.

To me the neat thing about him was that he was a person I would respect regardless of his profession.

I always found the descriptions I have read of people like Beau Brummell and his habits to be strange and ugly. Nothing I would want in my own life. CG on the other hand had the perfect balance of interest in ones appearance and being a normal , caring person. The only thing I still can't figure out is what was with the 5 marriages.

Easy answer to the five marriages question. In the '30s and '40s you didn't date for long periods, you got married. In other words, you didn't get any unless you gave her the ring. There's a humorous example of this in Lee Server's new bio of Ava Gardner. The young Mickey Rooney is trying his hardest to, shall we say, woo Ava into bed but she won't budge until he coughs up the ring and a wedding. He does, of course, and less than a year later (more or less), they get divorced.

Many things can be explained by context.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Liz Taylor's excuse, was . . .

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I wonder what Liz Taylor's excuse, was . . .

I recall Liz saying that she didn't really sleep around; that she married just about every man she ever slept with.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Liz! BTW: the Eddie Fisher bio: Been There Done That, is a MUST read. I thought I was shockproof. Not, in the least . . . Fisher's story is jawdropping, from start to finish. His three year marriage to LT, was enough to make a clock, stop dead.

richstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I recall Liz saying that she didn't really sleep around; that she married just about every man she ever slept with.

That's another case in point.

In those days there was something called morality. If you slept around and it was noted, you could kiss your career goodbye. Look what happened to Ingrid Bergman when she left her husband. Villified. Now it would be a one-paragraph squib in the paper, maybe a few seconds on ET, and she'd probably get more rather than less work due to a high profile generated by the publicity.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking through some of the pictures from the website watermarked in Tomasso's pictures on CG , and again just about every suit , even Houndstooth ones have the shoulder seam perfectly aligned.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the immolation of Ingrid Bergman, by Hedda Hopper and Louella Parons, was probably the most damning publicity ever served up, by gossip squads.

richstyle

Reaction score
I was looking through some of the pictures from the website watermarked in Tomasso's pictures on CG , and again just about every suit , even Houndstooth ones have the shoulder seam perfectly aligned.

Do you have the link? I'd like to check it out. Thanks. --RT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads