• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medallion Adelaides today:
BC2E5DE0-7C1E-4280-A797-B59AA321B380.jpeg

cakv

Reaction score
Is the Last/Shape Comparator on the new website accurate, folks? There seems to be almost a negligible difference between Simpson and Rain last but from what I read a couple years ago, the more narrow shape of Simpson was pretty noticeable. Can anyone that has tried on/owned both lasts chime in?

Asking because I haven't gotten a chance to try on Simpson but would love to own due to shape(I think Rain EEE is the best fit for me though, which is only a few mm wider than standard Rain). I currently own 5 pairs of Rain:

1582129540605.png

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Last/Shape Comparator on the new website accurate, folks? There seems to be almost a negligible difference between Simpson and Rain last but from what I read a couple years ago, the more narrow shape of Simpson was pretty noticeable. Can anyone that has tried on/owned both lasts chime in?

Asking because I haven't gotten a chance to try on Simpson but would love to own due to shape(I think Rain EEE is the best fit for me though, which is only a few mm wider than standard Rain). I currently own 5 pairs of Rain:

View attachment 1339899
the general consensus for most people is to size up a half size from Rain to Simpson. For example, I wear 6.5UK in Rain and 7UK in Simpson.

I hope this helps........

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming to the experts here to talk about a pair of single monks that I've had since 2012. Ever since I started using Saphir creme on them the leather almost looks like it's peeling. Any thoughts on what may be causing this or how to remedy? My initial thought was that the creme is darker than the original leather and that's what's causing it, but I've tried vsc and renovatour with no success. Thanks all!
20200219_125228.jpg
20200219_125218.jpg
20200219_125205.jpg
20200219_125147.jpg

Sfroide3

Reaction score

View attachment 1339899

That comparator is a liar ... I wear Rain in UK9 and just can't wear Simpson at all ... Unless I size up a full size, which makes the rest of the shoes fit really poor.

JDMills

Reaction score
Thats shocking.... have you been using any kind of cleaner like Reno'mat? It looks like the finish is being peeled off, which saphir cream shouldnt do

JDMills

Reaction score
That comparator is a liar ... I wear Rain in UK9 and just can't wear Simpson at all ... Unless I size up a full size, which makes the rest of the shoes fit really poor.
Agreed. I fit the 10UK rain pretty perfectly and the simpson is basically strangling my toes and forefoot

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the last comparisons aren't supposed to be totally accurate, but I am still stumped by the LLubi being as wide as the Detroit EEE in the toe box. is this real?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming to the experts here to talk about a pair of single monks that I've had since 2012. Ever since I started using Saphir creme on them the leather almost looks like it's peeling. Any thoughts on what may be causing this or how to remedy? My initial thought was that the creme is darker than the original leather and that's what's causing it, but I've tried vsc and renovatour with no success. Thanks all!
View attachment 1339949 View attachment 1339950 View attachment 1339951 View attachment 1339952
The finish is coming off. Acrylic maybe?

Either way, you'll need to strip that finish off. From there, you can either begin your polishing routine, or redye if too much came off during stripping process.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finish is coming off. Acrylic maybe?

Either way, you'll need to strip that finish off. From there, you can either begin your polishing routine, or redye if too much came off during stripping process.
Can I use Reno mat to do that or is there something else you recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads