• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
It took me for a while to catch up. This thread is super active!

Since they're having a discount now, I'm gonna pull a trigger on my oxfords.

Just one question. You sized down from Ace Marks by one full size. How's the fit on Rain last? Is it really snug or you still have some wiggle room? I wonder if I should risk sizing down by half a size instead.

Let me make it a bit clearer by photos of how they fit me.

First is the Ace Mark US 10.5 D, follows by 4 photos of Carmina Rain UK 9.5.

DSCF5079.jpg
L1008945.jpg
DSCF1276.jpg
DSCF1285.jpg
DSCF1114.jpg

You can clearly see that, I wear Ace Mark with much bigger V-gap than I wear Carmina Rain, which I could almost completely close the gap if I wish to. Rain last also has pretty generous instep and width for "regular/standard fitting" (it's not a wide fit, it's a typical US 'D' fit).

Hope this convinces you :)

huskiee

Reaction score
@Carmina. Can you please show a comparison between suede tobacco vogue, tobacco, and cuero if possible?

Also if you can compare Genoa to Oscar last that would be great.

@(G)MTO group - what are you all configuring? I’m looking at doing a unlined desert boot in light suede, tomir sole, on the Oscar last. Any thoughts very welcome!

Shinshi

Reaction score

View attachment 1181656
View attachment 1181657
View attachment 1181658
View attachment 1181659
View attachment 1181660

You can clearly see that, I wear Ace Mark with much bigger V-gap than I wear Carmina Rain, which I could almost completely close the gap if I wish to. Rain last also has pretty generous instep and width for "regular/standard fitting" (it's not a wide fit, it's a typical US 'D' fit).

It certainly does and thanks for the pointers!

Thilgela

Reaction score
@Carmina. Can you please show a comparison between suede tobacco vogue, tobacco, and cuero if possible?

Also if you can compare Genoa to Oscar last that would be great.

@(G)MTO group - what are you all configuring? I’m looking at doing a unlined desert boot in light suede, tomir sole, on the Oscar last. Any thoughts very welcome!

I am thinking Armagnac shell, Simpson last, York sole, brown edge.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be down for something in color 4 or 6. Hopefully, Horween will be able to provide.

Lumaca

Reaction score

View attachment 1181656
View attachment 1181657
View attachment 1181658
View attachment 1181659
View attachment 1181660

I need plum museum in my life...

WNovizar

Reaction score
Same, I Will even join another GMTO if for some reason color 4 or 6 or Cognac is not available for 80728 GMTO

huskiee

Reaction score
For all of you going for cordovan - do you prefer it unlined? Or are you neutral and just taking advantage of the gMTO?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For all of you going for cordovan - do you prefer it unlined? Or are you neutral and just taking advantage of the gMTO?
I don't prefer either. They each have their functions and appropriate uses. The unlined is a bit cooler and gives a more casual aesthetic, being more flexible and such. Since it's not a full height boot my ankles will get cold in the winter even if it's lined, so i'd say I unlined for chukkas a great way for me to have greater variety.

Btw, my order went in yesterday. I went rubi (it's the reason I made the jump to Carmina honestly), with leather and black edges. It's going to be a beauty!

goalaso

Reaction score
Ditto on the Color 4, Color 6, or cognac. I think I remember @Epaulet saying that cognac wasn't available for this unlined chukka GMTO. But I don't know about color 4 or 6... :)

goalaso

Reaction score
My brief experience with lined vs unlined cordovan is that I prefer unlined (but I live in warmer climates). I haven't noticed a huge difference in the quality of the rolls that develop form one to the other. I think the thickness of the leather itself determines the roll effect mostly (though of course the lining adds to the thickness). FWIW, my thick shell unlined Wolverines have as fluid rolls as any lined shell shoes I've seen. And since my lined Carmina shell shoes tend towards the thinner, I can imagine that an unlined Carmina shell shoe would be delightfully thin and incredibly comfortable. If they have color 4 or 6 or cognac or saddle shell available (I haven't seen any evidence that any of these will be available), then I will likely jump at that. Maybe even natural. But otherwise, I am thinking unlined suede, snuff or tobacco, on either a Traumantina/Commando or a Tomir sole- which would be determined by the last I choose-- *which I still don't know* :(

Question for you all on my goal of coming close to my 9.5B AE Higgins Mill fit:
-I tried an 8 Forest (balmoral) boot in Suede and had a little bit of heel slip (but acceptable), felt OK in the forefoot over the vamp, but pinched my toes a bit with the taper. The volume overall was too much, as the balmoral lacing was touching and even then I could float around a bit in the boot.
-I tried 8 Oscar, which felt slightly less voluminous with a good heel fit. This was a jumper boot, and even though it felt less voluminous than the Forest, the lacing still closed entirely (this almost always happens with my small volume feet though). The forefoot felt a bit tight, and my pinky toe was a bit crunched though. The way in which the forefoot felt tight was I think specifically because of the point at which the taper begins (or where the boot is widest) did not line up well with where my foot is widest. Had it lined up well, I think the fit would’ve been OK.

I'm trying now to find a 8 in Detroit, or an 8 (7.5?) in Llubi, based on your recommendations. The Oscar might be fine in an unlined suede, but not in shell. Given this is GMTO, I'd love to try Detroit 8 or Llubi 8. If anyone is a good samaritan and would be interested in letting me pay all expenses (and then some) to try on one of their own shoes, I'd be forever indebted. I'd ship back next day and just try on inside on carpet. Trying to beat the GMTO deadline and keep my bank account in the red... PM me if anyone is willing. And thanks for any advice additionally

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads