• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys take Simpson and Rain in the same size? I wear a 1/2 size smaller in Rain but when I look at Carmina's line drawing of the two, both lasts are almost identical in shape.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you guys take Simpson and Rain in the same size? I wear a 1/2 size smaller in Rain but when I look at Carmina's line drawing of the two, both lasts are almost identical in shape.

I take a half a size smaller in the Rain, and this is what we advise most of our customers to purchase. A last is a three-dimensional beast - so the line drawing doesn't tell the full story.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Highly debatable, opinions vary. History: yes in the past even the Carmina web site said that for the Simpson size up 1/2 for all.

BUT IMO this is not the case, and for the shoes I have done this for (lace up) I regret and will never do again. So for me I would say lace up Simpson same size as Rain, slip on Simpson half up.

BIGGER But, now on the Carmina website in reference to Simpson sizing it says this for all lace ups "Simpson is one of our narrowest last, we use to recommend to upload half size on this last" and this for all slip on "As it is is one of our narrowest lasts, we recommend to upload half size on this last". So seems the recommendation has changed to past tense for the lace up Simpsons.

So the Carmina website echos my opinion Do Not size up for lace (same size), size up for slip on.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Simpson I have that the sizing seems weird is the basketweave loafer - they feel a half size larger. Otherwise the penny loafers, austerity brogues and captoe oxfords all feel similar. Rain wears incredibly large - if I were to buy them, I would size down .5 size, but Simpson fits me so well I don't have real reason to try Rain

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy shell

E9CCE6C6-934C-4F14-A55E-A91BBB49BD99.jpeg

MGitlis

Reaction score
BIGGER But, now on the Carmina website in reference to Simpson sizing it says this for all lace ups "Simpson is one of our narrowest last, we use to recommend to upload half size on this last" and this for all slip on "As it is is one of our narrowest lasts, we recommend to upload half size on this last". So seems the recommendation has changed to past tense for the lace up Simpsons.

Hi 007Bond, I have the habit and problem of taking things literally, so I don't see Carmina's opinion in the past tense. They are not saying they "used to recommend...sizing up" They are stating that they "use to recommend". Not the best use of English on their part, but since I speak Portuguese and Spanish, I can tell that "we use to recommend" basically means "we normally recommend." Having said that, I think your point is valid! I only own their shoes on the Simpson last, but I'd probably take your suggestion if I were to buy one on the Rain last.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi 007Bond, I have the habit and problem of taking things literally, so I don't see Carmina's opinion in the past tense. They are not saying they "used to recommend...sizing up" They are stating that they "use to recommend". Not the best use of English on their part, but since I speak Portuguese and Spanish, I can tell that "we use to recommend" basically means "we normally recommend." Having said that, I think your point is valid! I only own their shoes on the Simpson last, but I'd probably take your suggestion if I were to buy one on the Rain last.

Yea I am sure you are right about the language. All I noticed is they changed how it was worded on the site. As with all sizing it's really very individual and hard to say what is right for the masses. All feet are not equal so fit will vary and if you can try before you buy always best.

For sure the laced shoes are more forgiving vs the slip on. As @benjamin831 pointed out the drawings sure do look almost the same. I think we are all on the same page. Also it depends a lot on how high your instep is whether you change the size of your Simpson.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the slacks!

Love these shoes! Navy shell, the last and the brogueing on these shoes, make them classy!

Slacks are impressive too. Flannels? Make? VBC?

yas, which flannels are those?

Thanks all.

Yeah, these longwings are Detroit extra wide. Don’t end up wearing them as often due to color, but when I do I remember how much I love them. It took a lot of work to get them made, too. This was back when Carmina weren’t doing shell single MTOs from retailers and there was no direct MTO program. I had to beg Jaime to let me organize a GMTO through r/gyw

The pants are Epaulet Rudy by hertling USA. The fabric is called “pale grape” but I can’t remember what mill the flannel is from. They’re heavier than my other VBC flannels. Perfect for cold days!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads