• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Talking about women US->UK sizing. Let me share my personal experience buying shoes for my wife.

For reference: my wife got narrow and flat feet, US 8.5B (on smaller size, a 8.25 would be more suitable for her, I think).

For her first pair of Carmina, I went UK 6 (= US -2.5), as given in the size chart and from Carmina agent (via chat). I did not take into account her narrow (B) profile. A mistake obviously. But then she would need to use arch-support anyway, so I guessed we had to try it out first.

The last was Audrey, which was stated by the agent to be regular fitting, so it came to no surprise to me that the shoe was too big for her. We had to put inserts and pads here and there, as well as tighter lacing to make it work.

For her second pair, I went 5.5 (= US -3). Thinking it should be OK. (Taking into account that she would need arch-support anyway). The last was again Audrey. It still came out too big .... but more easily fixed than the previous pair.

I don't know if there would ever be a third pair for her (even if there is, and I think so, it wouldn't be any time soon). But I may opt to try UK 5 (= US -3.5) for regular fitting lasts for her.

So, in the end, it seems to me that, for women: narrow feet US -> regular fitting shoe UK = US -3

YMMV.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you please take an eye bird view pic?. Interesting, boots on Rain. TIA
12D54975-C168-408B-8010-A4D38AC5E230.jpeg

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've just received my beautiful jodhpurs on the Rain last. I was in doubt about the sizing because I wear CJ in 7.5, and I got em in 8 due to thick socks and happy to report it works out well.
Now I am looking for one more set of dressy boots for the colder season. They might be another pair of jodhpurs or some balmorals.
What kind of last (other than Rain) do guys recommend? I've been thinking of Robert but I'm open to other options.

Here are some photos of my Robert boots.

20160208_165923.jpg

20160208_165905.jpg

eremita

Reaction score
@eremita, Can you help the men, out?
Sure! For reference, I have quite a narrow heel but the ball of the foot area is a bit wider, and I find a lot of women’s shoes painful across that area. My feet aren’t flat but the arch isn’t that high, either. I am usually a European 38.5, US 8.5-9 depending on the shoe (usually 8 with sandals) and when I did the conversions using the Carmina sizing chart, the recommended size was UK5.5. After doing some searching online, I followed the suggestion of looking at what my Nikes said my UK size was - 6. I ordered a UK6 in the jumper boots on the Madison last and I believe if I had gone with the UK5.5 they would have been too small.

Luis G

Reaction score
Just got these Carmina Full brouges in Bourbon Shell cordovan, they were NIB from Ebay (I believe the user is @neelp3 here, thanks again for the boots).
I typically wear 7.5E with high instep for dress shoes but can go down depending on the last. I was a bit skeptical about the sizing on Carminas Rain last. They are size 6.5UK EE (Carminas standard "D" width).

These boots seem to be fit me very well afterall. They are very comfortable, I believe this is due to shell not being stretched over lasts as tight as calfskin. I have a feeling if this were calfskin, I would be singing a different tune in terms of sizing.

The color is fairly close to "ravello" from Alden. Depending on the lighting, it's a light color while indoors it's a bit darker. The attention to details, ultrasoft lining, and excellent antique edge dressing is quite fascinating.
Definitely a step up from my experiences with AE, Alden, CJ, Cobbler Union, Meermin, and a few others.

PS my left boot was loose in the picture.
carminas.jpg

Subidoc

Reaction score
Just got these Carmina Full brouges in Bourbon Shell cordovan, they were NIB from Ebay (I believe the user is @neelp3 here, thanks again for the boots).
I typically wear 7.5E with high instep for dress shoes but can go down depending on the last. I was a bit skeptical about the sizing on Carminas Rain last. They are size 6.5UK EE (Carminas standard "D" width).

These boots seem to be fit me very well afterall. They are very comfortable, I believe this is due to shell not being stretched over lasts as tight as calfskin. I have a feeling if this were calfskin, I would be singing a different tune in terms of sizing.

The color is fairly close to "ravello" from Alden. Depending on the lighting, it's a light color while indoors it's a bit darker. The attention to details, ultrasoft lining, and excellent antique edge dressing is quite fascinating.
Definitely a step up from my experiences with AE, Alden, CJ, Cobbler Union, Meermin, and a few others.

View attachment 1082529
What is your most comfortable Alden and Allen Edmonds sizing, and on which last? You certainly scored a nice pair. Congratulations!

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1082529

Those look great. They appear to be Cognac.

Luis G

Reaction score
Those look great. They appear to be Cognac.

Seems lighter than the cognac Ive seen for shell cordovan but seems it may just be a lighter cognac.

What is your most comfortable Alden and Allen Edmonds sizing, and on which last? You certainly scored a nice pair. Congratulations!

For Alden its 7E on the barrie last.
For AE it is the Higgins mills size 7.5D. Other than HM allen edmonds shoes are not in the top 5 most comfortable shoes for me. Thats going through multiple lasts.

Subidoc

Reaction score
Seems lighter than the cognac Ive seen for shell cordovan but seems it may just be a lighter cognac.

For Alden its 7E on the barrie last.
For AE it is the Higgins mills size 7.5D. Other than HM allen edmonds shoes are not in the top 5 most comfortable shoes for me. Thats going through multiple lasts.
Good to know. Thanks.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday. My 80450 on Oscar last in brown Karengrein and Vegano brown. I have worn it twice now and it seems to be getting more comfortable by the wear.

Cheers! View attachment 1082712

Very, very nice! I find that my jumpers are getting more and more comfortable, too. I likely have around 5km on them and they are feeling superb!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads