• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question is a bit reductive but, generally speaking, where does Carmina fit in the hierarchy of high quality shoes?

Looking to upgrade my current set of dress oxfords from AE (black park ave and chili quarter brogues) and am considering the Carmina MTO program. The other option is Crocket and Jones Handgrade, but the price tag is a bit high for me here in the states.

Is Carmina a step up from AEs (10 years old at this point)? Is it roughly in par with Crockett and Jones Handgrade?

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Sorry if this question is a bit reductive but, generally speaking, where does Carmina fit in the hierarchy of high quality shoes?

Looking to upgrade my current set of dress oxfords from AE (black park ave and chili quarter brogues) and am considering the Carmina MTO program. The other option is Crocket and Jones Handgrade, but the price tag is a bit high for me here in the states.

Is Carmina a step up from AEs (10 years old at this point)? Is it roughly in par with Crockett and Jones Handgrade?
I'm sure other members with larger/broader collections can offer more insight into Carmina's place within the hierarchy, but, as Carmina and AE are the two brands I own the most pairs of, I will say Carmina is a material (no pun intended) step up, both in terms of quality (leather / other materials quality/ clicking) and finishing/attention to detail. It also offers a much wider range of customization and sleeker lasts & designs which AE (and other American makers) seem to lack.

My take is Carmina is more comparable in quality to C&J benchgrade rather than handgrade, but the value proposition is very high with the customization tool, especially if you buy during one of the two annual free custom weekends (usually April and October). Carmina is particularly good with shell.

A sample of my custom Carmina makeups (thank you for the opening to shamelessly repost)
IMG20231201084049.jpg
IMG20231027141914.jpg
IMG20231025102541.jpg
IMG20230902141045.jpg

hollandn

Reaction score
Pair of custom horsebit driving loafers arrived today. Model 80859 in Burgundy cordovan with hatchgrain strap. I own 7 pairs of Carmina driving loafers now as for me they are perfect smartish/casual shoe in hot climate with shorts or pair of linen trousers as spend a lot of time in Thailand.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 877

Camerashy

Reaction score
Looking for some advice please on sizing for my first Carmina boots in Russian Calf
I take a UK9.5 in C&J Coniston should I go the same or not please
Thanks

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Has anyone received their pair of Carmina's "bespoke" offering yet? Surely someone from this thread was one of the participants. Looking forwards to hearing the feedback on that one.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Recent reached out to Carmina for some info on sizing and this is there reply which I thought was extremely helpful

“ For the Oscar last, the UK 9.5 size has the following insole measurements:
- Length: 300,42 mm
- Width: 98 mm

To help you determine the best fit, I recommend comparing these measurements with the insole of your well-fitting dress shoe. This should give you a general idea of the fit for the Work Boots 80791 Oscar.

Additionally, if you're interested in other sizes, please note that each half-size difference has a 4.23mm variance in length and a 1mm variance in width. This information might be useful in case you want to explore different sizes for the best fit.”

Deelan

Reaction score
Quick question for any owners of boots in the Soller Last. Picked up a pair of Soller brown CXL boots in my usual UK 11, but I'm surprised as how large these are! Both in volume and particularly length. I'm an UK11 in the Rain (snug fit) and UK11.5 in the Forest (comfortable fit, but 11 would be too right at the toes).

I knew the Soller was generous, but most people seem to take their regular size.

Couldn't resist measuring the outsole. Even though the boot has no storm welt, it's a full 34 cm (13.4 inches). Compare that to the Rain (not a short shoe by any means, longer than Forest) at 32.6 cm (12.8 inches) and it feel like a full different size. Even other large shoes and boots - including with storm welts - like Trickers 4444 or Sargent 7WK come in around 33 cm.

Did I get a misstamped pair? Or is the Soller really this big? If so, I feel this is valuable info for anyone unable to try the last beforehand!

Photos - Soller and Rain.
I think we have the same boots! Brown CXL on Victoria sole and size 11 too! I picked them up in the Carmina outlet last July and haven't had a chance to wear them out until the winter season.

I know exactly what you are talking about. They fit very large, if I tried them on without looking at the size I would've guessed they were a UK 11.5 or even a 12. My outsole measures 34.8CM.

I have a Trickers 4444 Stow UK 11 and a Crockett & Jones Islay on 365 last UK 11.5 and Soller is longer than both of those. Surprising because 365 from C&J is their most generous last.

Anyways I contacted Carmina this past week about whether mine were a misprint and included several pictures comparing them to my other Carmina models plus the C&J boot and Carmina confirmed that this is how Soller fits! "The Soller last is designed to have a relatively larger fit compared to our other lasts" - their words exactly.

I had a feeling this was the case because when fully laced up I still have a 3/4 inch lace gap on the boots which would never happen if they were too large on my feet (low instep).

It looks like we wear similar a similar size, can you compare the Soller UK 11 to your Forest last in 11.5 that you own? I am considering a Balmoral boot on this last.

ABM

Reaction score
I think we have the same boots! Brown CXL on Victoria sole and size 11 too! I picked them up in the Carmina outlet last July and haven't had a chance to wear them out until the winter season.

I know exactly what you are talking about. They fit very large, if I tried them on without looking at the size I would've guessed they were a UK 11.5 or even a 12. My outsole measures 34.8CM.

I have a Trickers 4444 Stow UK 11 and a Crockett & Jones Islay on 365 last UK 11.5 and Soller is longer than both of those. Surprising because 365 from C&J is their most generous last.

Anyways I contacted Carmina this past week about whether mine were a misprint and included several pictures comparing them to my other Carmina models plus the C&J boot and Carmina confirmed that this is how Soller fits! "The Soller last is designed to have a relatively larger fit compared to our other lasts" - their words exactly.

I had a feeling this was the case because when fully laced up I still have a 3/4 inch lace gap on the boots which would never happen if they were too large on my feet (low instep).

It looks like we wear similar a similar size, can you compare the Soller UK 11 to your Forest last in 11.5 that you own? I am considering a Balmoral boot on this last.
I returned my boots to Carmina unused, so I suspect you have the exact boots that I returned!

I was puzzled about the fit. If this boot is really a size 11, I would have thought you'd see more forum discussion about just how incredibly long the Soller is (felt like a full size off in length). Yet most seem to find it normal to slightly generous compared to other Carmina lasts. I also thought it was large in volume but didn't try them enough to really judge, as the length was so far off.

Between the more common Carmina lasts, Forest isn't the largest and this seems to be a common assesment. 11.5 fits me well and I wouldn't size down to an 11. I have the Rain in 11, fits well in terms of length and volume if slightly tight on the pinky toe.

The Stow isn't a good fit for me, wide but too short and shallow in the toe in size 11, too large in 12. I'm not familiar with the CJ 365. The Cheaney 12508 and 125 are good, snug fits for me, I also have a few good fitting pairs in Sargent 87 size 11.5.

Last edited:

Deelan

Reaction score
I returned my boots to Carmina unused, so I suspect you have the exact boots that I returned!

I was puzzled about the fit. If this boot is really a size 11, I would have thought you'd see more forum discussion about just how incredibly long the Soller is (felt like a full size off in length). Yet most seem to find it normal to slightly generous compared to other Carmina lasts. I also thought it was large in volume but didn't try them enough to really judge, as the length was so far off.

Between the more common Carmina lasts, Forest isn't the largest and this seems to be a common assesment. 11.5 fits me well and I wouldn't size down to an 11. I have the Rain in 11, fits well in terms of length and volume if slightly tight on the pinky toe.

The Stow isn't a good fit for me, wide but too short and shallow in the toe in size 11, too large in 12. I'm not familiar with the CJ 365. The Cheaney 12508 and 125 are good, snug fits for me, I also have a few good fitting pairs in Sargent 87 size 11.5.
I do see a few posts saying Soller is a larger fitting last but yes nothing like what our experience has been like. It is an interesting fit since the shaft and heel fit me quite well but the length and width across the ball of my feet does not feel like a size 11 at all. The volume is on the generous side as well.

It's always better to have boots slightly too big than small, I think this will be the only boots I have where I can wear some seriously thick socks in.

Thanks for the advice on Forest, I ordered my Balmoral boots yesterday in an 11.5. I MTO'd a pair of Balitx chukka boots last year in 11 and regretted it from the first wear. Balitx is a loafer last by the feel of it on my foot, suggest a half size up if you're ever considering it on something with laces!

Stow works okay for me in an 11. 12 would be certainly be too big but I haven't had a chance to break them in yet for a full assessment. I have two pairs of Paul Sargent boots on 87 in an 11.5 and the fit is great on me as well. C&J 348 is one of my best fitting lasts, my feet love elongated lasts.

iva80

Reaction score
I ordered once Carmina boot from the outlet. the printed size was 7.5, but they were definitely 8 or 8.5. Carmina took them back on my shipping cost. Afterwards they refunded me in full since they probably they noticed there is a genuine problem with the boots.

I mention that I wrote them about the issues the day I received them.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My order was for boots and trees. I actually think they're hoping the wallet makes up for being told numerous DIFFERENT things (indicating nobody actually knows what's happening and rather than figure it out they'd prefer to just lie/mislead in the hopes it'll shut me up?) and even provided false tracking information.

This whole situation is incredibly depressing, because we've been to NYC stores in the past, we both have multiple pairs of Carmina footwear (her red/ivory heels are some of her favorite shoes ever btw) and have been quite happy with all of it until now. The lost boots are one thing....their behavior trying to stall is entirely another.

I decided on a pair of MTO Carmina boots in shell, but I'm reconsidering this decision after reading your horror story…

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777