• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blastwice

Reaction score
What last is that Jodhpur. That is one beautiful looking boot.

Specs I found:

Model: 3930 Jodhpur Boot mod strap at ankle
Last: 804 Leather: Horween Navy Shell Cordovan
Construction: Hand Welted 270 deg
Sole: Single Leather with Vibram Topy,
Donky Back and Bombe waist
Edge Finish: Mid brown Lining:
Natural Calf Buckle: Nickel 5 Brass Nails at Toe

Goofy

Reaction score
Shell cordovan does stretch, almost as much as calf, the issue is that once it gets a tear the tensile strength is much lower meaning it’s more prone to continue to tear whereas calfskin will retain its strength everywhere around the tear. This is just a poorly lasted waist. I wouldn’t say makers account for it, more like makers last it as snug as they can, and the characteristics of shell result in about a .25 size difference give or take. Shouldn’t cause a sizing issue unless the wearer already wears shoes that are borderline too large. It also would not cause this type of rippling issue.

as far as the general topic of does shell stretch or not, and some of the myths about shell, here is a great video that speaks to most of it. And for the impatient folks, you can scrub to the 4:50 mark to see him stretch shell.

Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. Let me rephrase. Generally speaking Cordovan isn’t as flexible and malleable as calf leather is. Besides that it’s not a very breathable material. Therefore it doesn’t dissipate heat very well. To compensate manufacturers tend to last cordovan shoes roomier than they would regular calfskin.
Here is a great article on the drawbacks of cordovan leather.
And in this movie they explain why cordovan shoes are manufactured roomier than calfskin leather shoes.
Scroll to 19:05.

Last edited:

Rekla

Reaction score
There is a clear difference between shoes being roomier and having 1cm excess material like someone showed us.

Goofy

Reaction score
There is a clear difference between shoes being roomier and having 1cm excess material like someone showed us.
My reply had no bearing on the depicted shoes. It was in response to Yengli’s experience with loosely lasted Cordovan shoes.

Rekla

Reaction score
Alright.
Yes my carmina cordovan shoes in rain are a bit roomier (than my calf rain) but my carmina balmoral boots in forest are quiet tight, same for the loafers.
And nothing different for TLB for my calf and cordovan.

liahos1

Reaction score
My rubi’s arrived and I’m happy to say they are exactly what I was hoping for. Size 8uk fits perfectly well for me on the Robert last.

Attachments

• 15F9612E-F893-4ECD-8EAF-165D20860E51.jpeg
    15F9612E-F893-4ECD-8EAF-165D20860E51.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 82

DL120

Reaction score
Mr Koronya himself! Kudos for real data instead of opinion.
I don't understand how this reconciles with Carmina's reluctance to do shell jodhpurs and chelseas (and I confirm, the Carmina shell chelseas I have aren't blocked as much around the instep as my jodhpurs). Perhaps the industrial blocking machine (which can block a piece of calf in 2 steps in around 10 seconds) isn't suited to shell? Maybe it helps to take more time and adjustment using a crimping board when stretching shell...
I think it’s not so much the ability to do it, but the risk/reward proposition for them, as well as the complications of the size of shell and the size of hides needed for certain patterns like Chelsea’s or Jodhpurs. You see how many pairs get posted here where there’s the smallest is discrepancy in color or something that’s not really much of an issue (not calling anyone out in particular) and they have to issue a partial refund or remake. So it can become quite expensive and a loss for them with more complicated patterns. Hence the reason they no longer offer the natural shell in the custom tool.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I’ve had quite a few Cordovan MTO’s abandoned due to shell failure during the lasting process, on boots like Jodhpur’s and Chelsea’s. It’s particularly prone to tearing on my favorite type of shells, embossed. It’s not that shell doesn’t stretch, it’s simply that it will easily tear. As expensive as the leather is, it becomes quite an expensive proposition for the maker, as the particular shell is then a total loss.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I think it’s not so much the ability to do it, but the risk/reward proposition for them, as well as the complications of the size of shell and the size of hides needed for certain patterns like Chelsea’s or Jodhpurs. You see how many pairs get posted here where there’s the smallest is discrepancy in color or something that’s not really much of an issue (not calling anyone out in particular) and they have to issue a partial refund or remake. So it can become quite expensive and a loss for them with more complicated patterns. Hence the reason they no longer offer the natural shell in the custom tool.

I’ve heard several other makers talk about the issues with natural shell. So many people want it- but they want it to be absolutely perfect and uniform. I’ve been told (but haven’t confirmed) that horween only has a very small amount of natural shell available each year and there’s quite the demand for it. The “when I pay X for shoes I expect perfection” *really* becomes an issue with natural shell.

DL120

Reaction score
I’ve heard several other makers talk about the issues with natural shell. So many people want it- but they want it to be absolutely perfect and uniform. I’ve been told (but haven’t confirmed) that horween only has a very small amount of natural shell available each year and there’s quite the demand for it. The “when I pay X for shoes I expect perfection” *really* becomes an issue with natural shell.
Yeah, but it’s also part of an issue with having an educated consumer or not. It’s like saying hatch grain must be equally and uniform in texture and size of the texture throughout the entire shoe or else it’s not perfection. The reality of shell is the variation and such in shell is not a defect or a quality issue. It’s simply a characteristic of the material. So the issue is more so the consumer is not fully educated on what they’re buying and more so hoping to replicate that one perfect pair they saw on social media when that is more the exception than the rule. I mean I have pairs of shell from bespoke makers, $2500 shoes that have what some would lose their mind over if they got on a pair of carmina for $750. It’s not that I don’t have high standards, quite th opposite. But I’m very well read and informed about what it is I am buying so I have the right expectation of what is acceptable, what is normal and what is not.
I realize you do as well, but just furthering the conversation.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it’s also part of an issue with having an educated consumer or not. It’s like saying hatch grain must be equally and uniform in texture and size of the texture throughout the entire shoe or else it’s not perfection. The reality of shell is the variation and such in shell is not a defect or a quality issue. It’s simply a characteristic of the material. So the issue is more so the consumer is not fully educated on what they’re buying and more so hoping to replicate that one perfect pair they saw on social media when that is more the exception than the rule. I mean I have pairs of shell from bespoke makers, $2500 shoes that have what some would lose their mind over if they got on a pair of carmina for $750. It’s not that I don’t have high standards, quite th opposite. But I’m very well read and informed about what it is I am buying so I have the right expectation of what is acceptable, what is normal and what is not.
^^^
This
69091FFE-1C13-4C1C-93A8-4945EA3D3EF9.gif

TheLawBeard

Reaction score

Right there with you on having, what I consider, reasonable expectations. As long as it isn’t something GLARINGLY awful or a structural issue (I’ve had a pair of boots from another company show up and one boot was literally twisted) then I’m far less likely to say anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads