• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Qayyum

Reaction score
Anyone else with shell always that are quite loosely lasted? Makes them fit a looser too
I have the impression that it depends on the color. My two new boots, one in color 8, is very stiff, while Armagnac is very flexible, even too much for me. My other shell shoes, loafers, all are rigid except the unlined.
Very nice combination on this boot. color 4 or rubi?

yengli

Reaction score
I have the impression that it depends on the color. My two new boots, one in color 8, is very stiff, while Armagnac is very flexible, even too much for me. My other shell shoes, loafers, all are rigid except the unlined.
Very nice combination on this boot. color 4 or rubi?

your Armagnac boot also have this much excess? This is with trees on btw. Yea all my other shell also don’t have this much excess. The excuse of shell not stretching enough would not be reasonable in this case imo.
Really only complaint I have with this pair.

color 4 with hatch grain 8

Qayyum

Reaction score
your Armagnac boot also have this much excess? This is with trees on btw. Yea all my other shell also don’t have this much excess. The excuse of shell not stretching enough would not be reasonable in this case imo.
Really only complaint I have with this pair.

color 4 with hatch grain 8
I confirm that all my shell cordovan shoes are more spacious than my other shoes in another leather. That suits me perfectly.
However, not to the point of having so many excesses with a shoe tree.
With my armagnac boots, the leather just feels finer.

Goofy

Reaction score
Anyone else with shell always that are quite loosely lasted? Makes them fit a looser too
Manufacturers do this on purpose because unlike regular leather, shell Cordovan doesn’t stretch and therefore doesn’t conform to ones feet.

yengli

Reaction score
Manufacturers do this on purpose because unlike regular leather, shell Cordovan doesn’t stretch and therefore doesn’t conform to ones feet.

i know this fact, but I have half a dozen of shell and this pair is particularly loose!

Rekla

Reaction score
Shell cordovan does stretch and what he is showing isnt normal at all.

Last edited:

DL120

Reaction score
Barely, until it tears.
Shell cordovan does stretch, almost as much as calf, the issue is that once it gets a tear the tensile strength is much lower meaning it’s more prone to continue to tear whereas calfskin will retain its strength everywhere around the tear. This is just a poorly lasted waist. I wouldn’t say makers account for it, more like makers last it as snug as they can, and the characteristics of shell result in about a .25 size difference give or take. Shouldn’t cause a sizing issue unless the wearer already wears shoes that are borderline too large. It also would not cause this type of rippling issue.

as far as the general topic of does shell stretch or not, and some of the myths about shell, here is a great video that speaks to most of it. And for the impatient folks, you can scrub to the 4:50 mark to see him stretch shell.

thefoobar

Reaction score
here is a great video that speaks to most of it.
Mr Koronya himself! Kudos for real data instead of opinion.
I don't understand how this reconciles with Carmina's reluctance to do shell jodhpurs and chelseas (and I confirm, the Carmina shell chelseas I have aren't blocked as much around the instep as my jodhpurs). Perhaps the industrial blocking machine (which can block a piece of calf in 2 steps in around 10 seconds) isn't suited to shell? Maybe it helps to take more time and adjustment using a crimping board when stretching shell...

Rekla

Reaction score
I mean, every person who own (and wear it ! ) a cordovan pair of shoes can tell you the leather stretch and mold to the foot.
And this is not an opinion.

Thank you for the video.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Mto landed… ?
9FB28776-6B1F-4575-8CF2-5B18BD28C8A2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads