• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would it not be possible to fudge the welt with a rubber sole? The welt is leather? Not to be difficult just trying to understand what you are getting at.
With factory made shoes they have a machine that does the fudging. The machine does not work well with rubber soles, cause it gets caught in it. All my factory made shoes including my tomir soled Carminas don't have fudging on the welt.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seewing?
I am not english native.

This tool (fudge wheel?) is creating the fudging referenced.

968a.jpg

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Check out the new GMTO offering collaboration by Carmina Shoemaker x The Shoe Snob, on a pair that I actually customized for myself

Get it HERE

Attachments

• 20210713_141224.jpg
    20210713_141224.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210713_141354.jpg
    20210713_141354.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210713_141414.jpg
    20210713_141414.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210713_141437.jpg
    20210713_141437.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210713_141450.jpg
    20210713_141450.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210713_141532.jpg
    20210713_141532.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 76

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
With factory made shoes they have a machine that does the fudging. The machine does not work well with rubber soles, cause it gets caught in it. All my factory made shoes including my tomir soled Carminas don't have fudging on the welt.

I only have a couple of pairs of rubber soled Carminas and I am traveling with only one pair handy. These were made a few years ago and are rubber soled with fudging. I probably requested that specifically although I can’t recall for sure. I’ve never heard that there was a higher degree of difficulty doing this with a rubber sole but it does seem to be possible to do.

anyway, not trying to be needlessly pedantic but rather just to let others know that it seems to be doable (or was via mto).

17301800-3B64-4E48-A3B1-2CEF840637CA.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Still it doesn't seem to have fudging on the inner arc. Might this have to do something with the "overhang" of the shoe at this position?

True! Embarrassingly, I had never noticed that prior to the discussion about the welt join on the pair shown a day or two ago. I’m not one to really scrutinize the welt joins and this detail does appear to be intentional given the other pairs that were shown and also my pair above.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have a couple of pairs of rubber soled Carminas and I am traveling with only one pair handy. These were made a few years ago and are rubber soled with fudging. I probably requested that specifically although I can’t recall for sure. I’ve never heard that there was a higher degree of difficulty doing this with a rubber sole but it does seem to be possible to do.

anyway, not trying to be needlessly pedantic but rather just to let others know that it seems to be doable (or was via mto).

View attachment 1638747
I'm sure they can do it if you request it. I am away from home right now, and don't have any Carminas with me, but I know both my pairs with rubber soles don't have fudging, and the pair with leather soles do. My TLB shoes are the same way. I'd have to double check the other brands.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In today's episode of Carmina Quality Control: Keep or Return

I give you my latest non-sale, non-closeout, non-mto, (unbeknownst to me) direct from Spain offering. I know we all have different levels of what we will accept but the pictures do not fully capture the fact that someone must have been drunk when stitching the captoe and/or lasting the upper because the right shoe is really off.

It appears these were a floor model because somebody removed what I assume was a label from the bottom of both shoes. And, the box is generic with no model numbers which have always been on the other boxes I have received. So far, I am 1 for 4 with Carmina with the 1 purchased in-store being near perfect and 3 bought via the website (2 shipped from the NYC store and the most recent from Spain) having serious QC issues and returned as a result. So what say you all, are these keepers or returns?

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2812.jpg

Shetterd

Reaction score
In today's episode of Carmina Quality Control: Keep or Return

I give you my latest non-sale, non-closeout, non-mto, (unbeknownst to me) direct from Spain offering. I know we all have different levels of what we will accept but the pictures do not fully capture the fact that someone must have been drunk when stitching the captoe and/or lasting the upper because the right shoe is really off. It appears these were a floor model because somebody removed what I assume was a label from the bottom of both shoes. So far, I am 1 for 4 with Carmina with the 1 purchased in-store being near perfect and 3 bought via the website (2 from NYC store and most recent from Spain) having serious QC issues and returned as a result. So what say you all, are these keepers or returns?

View attachment 1639256
View attachment 1639257

View attachment 1639258 View attachment 1639259
The mark on the sole is definitely a label. It tends to be the one which shows that the outer is leather, lining is leather, sole leather, etc. I have never been able to remove the label from a new pair of shoes without this kind of mark.

I also have a pair of Carmina boots with a slightly wonky cap toe but it's not super noticeable day to day to be honest.

Personally, I would keep these.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The mark on the sole is definitely a label. It tends to be the one which shows that the outer is leather, lining is leather, sole leather, etc. I have never been able to remove the label from a new pair of shoes without this kind of mark.

I also have a pair of Carmina boots with a slightly wonky cap toe but it's not super noticeable day to day to be honest.

Personally, I would keep these.

You are probably correct about the leather label on one of the shoes. The other one clearly had a price label since that shoe is much lighter so I assume it is sun faded (forgot about that issue in my original post).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads