• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gianm

Reaction score
These arrived yesterday: single MTO Adelaide cap toes in brown box calf. A little disappointed that some changes I had requested to my order weren’t implemented (just as a couple fellow members warned me about). I had asked Carmina if they could change the last choice in my order to Alcudia and they confirmed changes but alas these are Rain lasted, per the original order. Don’t think I’ll make too much of a fuss though as these are pretty damn nice and rain last fits me pretty well.
View attachment 1122928

Could I ask about the details for this MTO shoe (as in which options you selected)? I've been thinking about getting a dark brown/chocolate suede cap toe Adelaide for some time. This one looks precisely like what I'd been thinking about. The brown calf looks to be a nice darker shade too.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Could I ask about the details for this MTO shoe (as in which options you selected)? I've been thinking about getting a dark brown/chocolate suede cap toe Adelaide for some time. This one looks precisely like what I'd been thinking about. The brown calf looks to be a nice darker shade too.

Of course, here the specs from my order:

0B778384-ED32-44E0-9F61-46DEF4245D1D.jpeg

dangaa

Reaction score
I currently don't own any CS shoes (all sold) but I still have a field boot (on the 316). I checked my Excel for CS last and fit history as I owned several in the past, I am UK9 for all the noted CS shoes and boots on the lasts above.

My Carmina collection is extensive and I have all the above listed last on various shoes and boots. All of my Carmina's are UK9 with the exception of 2 and all fit very well and the fit is directly comparable with the same size CS UK9.

The exceptions:

1. I seen a good deal on a shell shoes on the Rain but it was wide (UK9EEE normal is UK9EE per Carmina size guide) and I decided to take a chance. I found that it really was not that much wider and I can wear it no problems. So lesions is Carmina wide is not as wide as say an Allen Edmonds Wide E.

2. Specific to the Simpson last only. I had never owned or tried a Simpson last but there was a sale on a Simpson last boot. You will find much advice on upsizing half a size when you go from other Carmina last to the Simpson last. So I decided I would go for the UK9.5 and IMO it fits me a bit loose. So at least for boots in the future I would not upsize half a size I would go for my normal size . However for shoes I think the up half a size is probably the way to go.

So your overall takeaway is you can order the same size Carmina as you would on the CS, 8UK.

For your reference the only Carmina last that I cannot wear is the Inca last as it does not have enough toe room on the big toe side for me.

Hope that helps you out.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Time to spend some money! :)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
807EDD21-377F-4963-A8E3-FE6774A35BFF.jpeg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we should review the information on the simpson last, to be fair, the outlines for both pairs look pretty similar.

Would you say simpson should be upgraded half a size in relation to rain?

IMO the Simpson and the Rain fit virtually the same for a lace up shoes or boots. Now when it comes to slip on shoes, I think that is where there is some difference. Depending on the hight of the wearers instep they may or may not need to go up half a size.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we should review the information on the simpson last, to be fair, the outlines for both pairs look pretty similar.

In terms of toe box room, I find Rain and Simpson to be about the same in the same size - in fact, Simpson is a little roomier for me based on the location of the taper.

The heel in Rain is huge in my opinion, Simpson’s is much smaller.

The instep is where the biggest difference lies for me. Simpson in 10UK fits me perfectly; rain simply has too much volume. I could go down to 9.5 Rain but my toes don’t allow it. I do think the sizing advice is accurate for volume, bu I think it’s more about going down for Rain rather than going up to Simpson.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the biggest difference between Simpson and Rain is the heel. The Simpson fits me perfectly, whereas the Rain flopped around like clown shoes.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I find the biggest difference between Simpson and Rain is the heel. The Simpson fits me perfectly, whereas the Rain flopped around like clown shoes.

Do you find rain flops due to the heel or the overall volume is was is affecting the fit?

From what you mention, going down half a size in the rain would not solve the issue..

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you find rain flops due to the heel or the overall volume is was is affecting the fit?

From what you mention, going down half a size in the rain would not solve the issue..
Quite a common complaint about rain is that the heel is large. Usually with a high instep, the heel is narrow.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My solution is to just avoid shoes on the Rain. Simpson and Alcudia are brilliant, but that's why RTW have different lasts as no one's feet are the same.

Personally, I find the heel large relative to the proportions. I have somewhat narrow feet with a lower instep, so the high volume, somewhat high instep is just a hot mess.

To note, this is not just a Carmina issue for me.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness to Carmina, they have a massive range of lasts that should cover everyone. The problem is finding one that’s right. There aren’t many outlets outside of Spain that sell Carmina, so finding the right last can be a challenge. But it does justify a trip to Spain ;)

I used to wear Crockett & Jones on the 348 last but have now switched to the Carmina Rain last as it accommodates my high instep very well. I also find the quality on par but the style significantly better.

zr3rs

Reaction score

I have duck feet (short, narrow heel, wide forefoot, regular instep).
Rain in 8.5 is cramping my toes width-wise, while heel is loose.
Simpson in 9.0 is perfect (narrower heel than Rain 8.5, but more front width), but the tip is wasted length for me.
Inca 8.5 might be better in the heel, but still very snug front (just tried once)
Btw. I am a UK8 in the other shoes that fit me well (C&J 363, Vass P2)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads