• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subidoc

Reaction score
EZB, if I’m interpreting this correctly, the 10.5 in 201 is probably too big due to cone/instep volume - the 201 is higher volume than the 65. The orthotic doesn’t change the length you need, just the volume. 10 US sounds like your length, and I’d be curious to see how you would do with a 10E in the sizes you mention; I suspect you would find a better fit (though perhaps not in the heel). Boots are a bit easier since you have more shoe holding you in place.

Fortunately, this translates pretty easily to Carmina. Simpson fits very similar to the 65 - if 10.5D US works, go with 9.5UK Simpson. Alcudia is similar, though it might get to the point where it starts to have too much cone (instep is in between the 65 and 201). Same for Uetam, but I’d steer away - no idea how orthotic would interact with loafers.

Rain, Inca, Llubi, and Soller are quite high-volume (though note that Rain and Inca both have toe limitations to be aware of). I’d go with 9 UK there, and it might actually work well with the orthotic.

Robert, Forest, Oscar, and the other “normal” fitting Carmina lasts are similar in volume to the 201 - Carmina makes a higher cone in general. I’d also guess 9 UK, but it really depends on the orthotic and how close the fit of the 201 in 10D is.

Hope this helps - note that while Carmina does charge for returns, they do not charge for exchanges...
I wish I had this information in 2017. Very, very helpful in how you have drawn in all of the lasts. On our point I would like to query. While the 201 is a lot of volume over the 65, I don't find the Oscar in the same league. The Oscar feels better for the narrowed heel since the 201 is so full fitting. The 65 fits me perfectly, but the Oscar lacks at the support of the 65. Perhaps this is more evident to me in an Oscar balmoral boot than say a jumper.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, excuse the interruption... but I’m looking for new or gently-used Simpson last shoes in a UK 10. Send me a PM if you have anything to sell? Thanks.

AHS

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried the 10D and 10E in the 201. The 10E is way too wide for my skinny ankles/heels. The 10D fits well—except the orthotic raises my foot too much such that it comes out of the shoe with each step.

Ah, that makes sense. In my experience, the heel of the 201 starts large and doesn’t taper (except in boots) and doesn’t go up very high. I can see how that would be a problem. Most Carminas will have more taper and may hold the heel in a bit better.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had this information in 2017. Very, very helpful in how you have drawn in all of the lasts. On our point I would like to query. While the 201 is a lot of volume over the 65, I don't find the Oscar in the same league. The Oscar feels better for the narrowed heel since the 201 is so full fitting. The 65 fits me perfectly, but the Oscar lacks at the support of the 65. Perhaps this is more evident to me in an Oscar balmoral boot than say a jumper.

I’d put the Oscar right in between the 65 and 201 in terms of instep volume. When you say the Oscar lacks support compare to the 65, I tend to think about arch support - the excess volume keeps the leather at the instep from being pulled right, which would provide that support. If the 65 fits you well, perhaps check out Simpson or Alcudia - fairly close to the 65 in instep volume. Robert may be a little better in a boot than Oscar, as well.

Subidoc

Reaction score
I’d put the Oscar right in between the 65 and 201 in terms of instep volume. When you say the Oscar lacks support compare to the 65, I tend to think about arch support - the excess volume keeps the leather at the instep from being pulled right, which would provide that support. If the 65 fits you well, perhaps check out Simpson or Alcudia - fairly close to the 65 in instep volume. Robert may be a little better in a boot than Oscar, as well.
Yes, I was referring to arch support. Thank you for adding the specifics. I will plan on trying the Simpson next time I go to NY. Please understand that this is my first time wearing a boot, and that to a balmoral. Perhaps not the smartest move, but hey, I was going to take the plunge anyway.

I tried the Oscar last jumper boot in the Paris store, and was sized there, and I think therein lies the difference... I realize now that the balmoral and derby boots of the same last fit differently. In the same vein, the 65 last from AE comes mostly as shoes, not boots. So I am now careful about assuming the instep will be the same as a boot equivalent, either balmoral or derby style boot or shoe, that is. Too many variables... (Sigh).

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA A few nice shoes on the outlet in case anyone is interested. Several more I am just highlighting a few good ones sell fast.

CORDOVAN CHUKKA BOOTS 708 OSCAR UK9.5
Was $850.00
Now $595.00

chukka_boots_burgundy_cordovan_708_l.jpg

CORDOVAN DERBY SHOES 80421 ROBERT UK11.5
Was $750.00
Now $450.00

cordovan_blucher_burgundy_80421_l.jpg

OXFORD SHOES 10000 RAIN UK8.5
$750.00
$525.00

oxfords_navy_crocodile_boxcalf_10000_l.jpg

CORDOVAN WINGTIP DOUBLE MONK STRAP 80114 RAIN UK7.5
BOURBON CORDOVAN WINGTIP DOUBLE MONK STRAP SHOES
Was $750.00
Now $525.00

double_monk_strap_bourbon_cordovan_80114_T_l-2.jpg

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that same chukka but on Detroit. It’s. Fantastic patttern. One of the very best chukkas out there, IMO

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have that same chukka but on Detroit. It’s. Fantastic patttern. One of the very best chukkas out there, IMO

I just bought them ;)
We'll see how the sizing works out. Coincidentally, I was in the NY store last week and tried the PTBs in the Oscar last a half size down and wondered if they might be a bit too snug even though they were comfortable. With thicker socks, I suspect half down from brannock might do the trick (I'm a 10D/E US).

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All,

I recently bought a pair of Carmina's via ebay and have some suspicions that they might not be real. I may be wrong but I just wanted to get a second opinion. My suspicions come from the following.

1.) The box isn't the standard carmina box as seen in the photos
2.) The sole of the monk is missing the standard carmina logo. This leads me to believe that the should could have been potentially resoled
3.) The box says 80250 which points to the following monks on the carmina site
https://www.carminashoemaker.com/monk-strap-shoes/double-buckle-brown-80250
4.) Even if these were an MTO, wouldn't all the carmina markers be the same

Thoughts?

MJZFKuB
UgZpBd9.jpg

bvfelH6.jpg

0Zm7CxM.jpg

4ZgGbSJ.jpg

ZCOcDxT.jpg

LOL who fakes used Carminas?!

dangaa

Reaction score
Some sizing advice needed here -

Carlos Santos 8UK in 333/316 lasts

Suggestions/sizing for the following needed:

Rain
Forest
Robert
Simpson

Predominately looking for boots (shoes fit the same?)

TIA!

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some sizing advice needed here -

Carlos Santos 8UK in 333/316 lasts

Suggestions/sizing for the following needed:

Rain
Forest
Robert
Simpson

Predominately looking for boots (shoes fit the same?)

TIA!

I currently don't own any CS shoes (all sold) but I still have a field boot (on the 316). I checked my Excel for CS last and fit history as I owned several in the past, I am UK9 for all the noted CS shoes and boots on the lasts above.

My Carmina collection is extensive and I have all the above listed last on various shoes and boots. All of my Carmina's are UK9 with the exception of 2 and all fit very well and the fit is directly comparable with the same size CS UK9.

The exceptions:

1. I seen a good deal on a shell shoes on the Rain but it was wide (UK9EEE normal is UK9EE per Carmina size guide) and I decided to take a chance. I found that it really was not that much wider and I can wear it no problems. So lesions is Carmina wide is not as wide as say an Allen Edmonds Wide E.

2. Specific to the Simpson last only. I had never owned or tried a Simpson last but there was a sale on a Simpson last boot. You will find much advice on upsizing half a size when you go from other Carmina last to the Simpson last. So I decided I would go for the UK9.5 and IMO it fits me a bit loose. So at least for boots in the future I would not upsize half a size I would go for my normal size . However for shoes I think the up half a size is probably the way to go.

So your overall takeaway is you can order the same size Carmina as you would on the CS, 8UK.

For your reference the only Carmina last that I cannot wear is the Inca last as it does not have enough toe room on the big toe side for me.

Hope that helps you out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads