• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see he used Renovateur in the video, but you do not recommend using it?
One more question, is the Carlos Santos regular line aniline dyed but the handgrade crust patina? So on the handgrade it's better to avoid renovateur but on the regular line it's fine?
There's no difference of the leather from the "regular" to the handgrade line. The difference is the finish. Anything with patina is on crust, while regular colors are aniline.

I generally don't recommend renovateur as I find it too harsh on the Patina (not regular aniline) but I heard good things about Bick 4. Preston is experienced though and I trust him, but if you decide to use Renovateur don't use too much.

Opethian

Reaction score
There's no difference of the leather from the "regular" to the handgrade line. The difference is the finish. Anything with patina is on crust, while regular colors are aniline.

I generally don't recommend renovateur as I find it too harsh on the Patina (not regular aniline) but I heard good things about Bick 4. Preston is experienced though and I trust him, but if you decide to use Renovateur don't use too much.
Thanks for the info.
That means that the wine shadow and Guimarres colors are aniline, am I right?

Mirror_Mau

Reaction score
Sorry if I post too much, but I want to keep this thread alive as this Brand means a lot to me. I get a lot of questions about how to take care of Patina Shoes.

It is not as hard as people think. Preston from The Elegant Oxford did a really nice video that I want to share. While I prefer using Bick4 rather than renovateur as I find it a little harsh on the Patinas, Neutral Polish and Wax works wonders on them. He also explains the differences between Oxfords, Derbys and Bluchers for those that are not so experienced.

Definitely NO SORRY needed! I believe it's quite a pleasure to see more and more postings for all CS owners as there are only 80+ pages so far, which is far less than those brands from Spain&England. This brand also means something to me as it is my first pair of quality Goodyear dress shoes(used to wear only Clarks before). I can't forget the moment I received, saw and touched this pair of Guimares Wingtip, and either can't forget the moment the beautiful patina faded away when I use Saphir Renomat to do the cleaning. If I could be more lucky to see you gents' shared experience, like Kostas' posting, back then before I did the cleaning then the mistake could be avioded. I bet other CS owners might feel the same way as I know some gents also had disappointing experience with Renomat. Fortunately I tried a remedy with Pommadier Creams in black, mahogany and havana, and got a good result. Pictures are attached below. Now they look fresh day&night, indoor&outdoor, but with one exception, that when you take a picture of them in darkness with flashlight on you will see the areas treated by Pommadier are obviously cloudy. This is my experience and I decided to post it up, hoping it could help as an example. This is my first posting since I joined SF and I will try to share more experiences just like what Kostas and others gents are doing. So let's make this thread thrive! By the way now I have 3 pairs of CS and some Bick 4s : )

before.jpg before the remedy, left shoe toe area before2.jpg after.jpg after the remedy

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely NO SORRY needed! I believe it's quite a pleasure to see more and more postings for all CS owners as there are only 80+ pages so far, which is far less than those brands from Spain&England. This brand also means something to me as it is my first pair of quality Goodyear dress shoes(used to wear only Clarks before). I can't forget the moment I received, saw and touched this pair of Guimares Wingtip, and either can't forget the moment the beautiful patina faded away when I use Saphir Renomat to do the cleaning. If I could be more lucky to see you gents' shared experience, like Kostas' posting, back then before I did the cleaning then the mistake could be avioded. I bet other CS owners might feel the same way as I know some gents also had disappointing experience with Renomat. Fortunately I tried a remedy with Pommadier Creams in black, mahogany and havana, and got a good result. Pictures are attached below. Now they look fresh day&night, indoor&outdoor, but with one exception, that when you take a picture of them in darkness with flashlight on you will see the areas treated by Pommadier are obviously cloudy. This is my experience and I decided to post it up, hoping it could help as an example. This is my first posting since I joined SF and I will try to share more experiences just like what Kostas and others gents are doing. So let's make this thread thrive! By the way now I have 3 pairs of CS and some Bick 4s : )

View attachment 1345664 before the remedy, left shoe toe area View attachment 1345665 View attachment 1345666 after the remedy
Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your pictures. Guimaraes is my favorite “conservative” patina.

Here’s the last single monk that arrived today. It’s discontinued now. Wine shadow.
8B1FF332-510F-4ABF-A126-5EEE12DAD364.jpeg 4020246A-5149-4240-8AEE-C3C5EE45C881.jpeg

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your efforts in sharing these beauties.. We don't want you banned.
This thread needs you lol
I wish everyone felt the same. 600$ per month is too much. You have no idea how many pictures I have to share of models you have never seen. Anyways, thank you for the support. If you all have any questions I can probably answer them

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some interesting photos of the new last and models/versions from Carlos Santos, posted by Shoegazing from their report on Micam 2020, the winter edition of the world’s largest shoe fair.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

Sfroide3

Reaction score

Basically you just stripped off the wax finish. As long as you don't attack the patina itself, you are fine.

Renomat is an extremely aggressive cleaner. It removes everything. You should only use it for very deep cleaning. The process is renomat, renovateur, pommadier, wax. If you only use renomat, it is obvious that your shoes won't shine even if you brush them after.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Some interesting photos of the new last and models/versions from Carlos Santos, posted by Shoegazing from their report on Micam 2020, the winter edition of the world’s largest shoe fair.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01541.jpg
Those cap toe oxfords look great

shoewarma

Reaction score
Not sure why, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the oxford was Alfred Sargent. These are absolutely beautiful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads