• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captoe derbys - OK with suits ?

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
I personally do not see the point of a black blucher/derby. Awkward halfway point between formalities in my eyes.

For those with high insteps, a blucher cut/derby may be the only option short of bespoke--it is for me.

They are perfectly acceptable--especially in the states, where most people won't notice.

Reaction score
Fine with suits. I use both Oxfords and Derbys - if you are plagued with wider foot width (G or H) as I am, then you may get the wide V with Oxfords when they are laced, however I find the Derbys always appear less under strain with my fat feet in them, even if the II is more open than for some people.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is probably in violation of the SF constitution but I just don't see the big deal about oxfords. They look really square and nerdy to me, and those with te big curving seam around the vamp are ugly to my eyes.

So to the OP, wear your bluchers with pride, with a suit if you please. I'm sure they will look fine and none but the most precious SF geek will think this a blasphemy.

ps in the recent Esquire with Bill Clinton check out the Ask Nick Sullivan page where someone asks which colour shoes with which colour suit. He illustrates with a picture of a very nice looking canali blucher and an ugly mis-shapen Lobb oxford.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine for suits, but why wear a black captoe derby anyway? That colour, leather and pattern cry 'Oxford!'. Those shoes are for people who can't wear oxfords because they have too high an instep. If you don't want captoes, get a quarter brogue oxford or a semi/full brogue derby.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one of these 2 1. RLPL Deller
41whjSPFVYL._AA300_.jpg
2. CJ Prestwood (with dainite sole)
CrockettAndJonesHandgradePrestwoodXL.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of each.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CJ Prestwood is my choice

dappledown

Reaction score
C&J Bradfords are sleeker than they look in the stock photo. even with the double sole. I would have no problems wearing them with a suit.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Would you be having a pic. One reason I am going with the Prestwood instead of BRadford is the relative sleekness though I am not a big fan of the 348 last

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Would you be having a pic. One reason I am going with the Prestwood instead of BRadford is the relative sleekness though I am not a big fan of the 348 last

Bradfords would look really good with your caruso flannel suit, primarily because the suit is casual. Get the bradfords in shell cordovan,problem solved. Wear the suit and shoes for years to come.

dappledown

Reaction score
I don't have one where I'm wearing a suit with them but you can see the toe box is tapers to a nice 'rounded' point in this pic:
Photo0921.jpg

These are an 8E in size.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Bradfords would look really good with your caruso flannel suit, primarily because the suit is casual. Get the bradfords in shell cordovan,problem solved. Wear the suit and shoes for years to come.
^^ Whats the actual color of the PEal/ CJ shoes in your sale thread ? Is it brown ? It looks like burgundy on my monitor

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Ok, thanks, pointy is out. My love affair with 348 is almost over and I find most Italian shoes even more pointy than 348.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads