• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captoe derbys - OK with suits ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Thinking of getting a captoe derby in black to wear with mid to dark grey suits. I know black derby is not a popular choice to wear with suits on SF but is it totally wrong ? I have a Grenson back captoe oxford so I am looking for a derby only. Also realized that there are limited choice while selecting a plain captoe derby. In fact I came across only this at Pediwear. Any other suggestions... Also I read in some other thread that though derbys are considered OK with suits in Europe it is not so in the US. Or maybe the other way round. Is that correct ? Pic of the shoe I am considering
bradford-black.jpg
PS: Is captoe derby the correct term for this shoe ? Thanks for reading and best regards.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I'm wearing my Alden black captoe derbies with a suit today.

s0rce

Reaction score
If you already have a nice pair of black captoe oxfords how come you want to get another very similiar pair, why not get something different, brown wingtip?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Hi

Thinking of getting a captoe derby in black to wear with mid to dark grey suits. I know black derby is not a popular choice to wear with suits on SF but is it totally wrong ? I have a Grenson back captoe oxford so I am looking for a derby only.

Also realized that there are limited choice while selecting a plain captoe derby. In fact I came across only this at Pediwear. Any other suggestions...

Also I read in some other thread that though derbys are considered OK with suits in Europe it is not so in the US. Or maybe the other way round. Is that correct ?

Pic of the shoe I am considering

bradford-black.jpg

PS: Is captoe derby the correct term for this shoe ?

Thanks for reading and best regards.

Those are fine with a suit. Although it should be a darker "mid" grey rather than a lighter "mid" grey.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments.

Originally Posted by s0rce
If you already have a nice pair of black captoe oxfords how come you want to get another very similiar pair, why not get something different, brown wingtip?

Because I feel that black captoe shoes are very versatile and I dont mind having a captoe oxford and derby. Plus I have too many brown shoes.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Those are fine with a suit. Although it should be a darker "mid" grey rather than a lighter "mid" grey.

I intend to wear it with a navy suit as well. I was just reluctant to mention it for fear of ridicule.
tinfoil.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear EG Cardiff's with a suit from time to time and they look fine to me. I'd stick with oxfords for the most formal occasions, but general business meetings I'm happy with derbies.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Good question - in the old times it wouldn't have appeared at al..
smile.gif
But those times has passed. I think now you can wear whatever you feel comfortable.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the C&J Bradford, right? If you're willing to consider other derby/blucher styles, check out the Alfred Sargent Holborn, the C&J Ashdown, and the C&J Onslow. A PTB will look nearly identical to a captoe blucher at a glance because the creases across your vamp will mimic the captoe. And consider burgundy. In artificial lighting it can often pass for black, it goes beautifully with mid to dark greys, yet is a little more interesting than plain black and will age beautifully.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Works well; don't give it a second thought and pull the trigger if you like them.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ = +1

Who cares what standard operating procedure should be. Do what you like. We all think too much about this stuff as is.

emc894

Reaction score
I personally do not see the point of a black blucher/derby. Awkward halfway point between formalities in my eyes.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
I personally do not see the point of a black blucher/derby. Awkward halfway point between formalities in my eyes.

Oh c'mon, it's a black cap toe, it's relatively simple and plain, hence, it is a somewhat formal shoe. The fact that it's a Derby only reduces the formality marginally, imho. I will never understand why derbys get such a bad rep around here.

ferguscan

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that a black derby is wrong, regardless of the rest of the outfit.

If you want a black shoe for suits, other than an oxford, get a chelsea boot or a monk strap.

Stuart

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Oh c'mon, it's a black cap toe, it's relatively simple and plain, hence, it is a somewhat formal shoe. The fact that it's a Derby only reduces the formality marginally, imho. I will never understand why derbys get such a bad rep around here.

Derbies are awesome. Just not with suits. And not in black
smile.gif

Stuart

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the 341 last fits you, the C&J Bradford is a great shoe (I have it in dk brown). The double leather sole is nice.

Another C&J derby I can recommend is the Dartmouth. It's not a captoe, but it's on C&J's best last, IMO.

Also, derbies > oxfords
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads