• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people need to stop wearing this jackets when it's clearly too hot for them!

or take some of their lighter offerings without the fur hood and such.

bigboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

I've kind of wanted to keep out of this whole thing seeing as how too many people seem set on one or the other.

For one, many CG jackets don't even use goose down, they use duck down. Duck down in comparison to goose down is inferior. Granted, when they do use Canadian goose down, and if it is in fact white Hutterite goose down, then it'll make for a solid jacket with great warmth..but don't kid yourself, that's the quality they use in extreme conditions (read: expeditions to the arctic and other harsh climates), are you really going to sit there in urban-where-ever-the-**** and say that you need that jacket? Clearly not. And if you do..you need to realize that living in an cold environment suggests that you layer; base layer, mid layer, shell. With that being said, and common sense guiding you to some degree, most jackets will do the job where ever you live.

Now, as to the issue of north face vs. Canada goose. Many north face jackets actually use goose down. I believe they use Hungarian goose down; goose down which is a close 2nd to Canadian goose. Now taking into account what I said earlier about the type of down that's used in many Canada goose jackets, the condition they're meant to be worn in, and the amount of down the majority of the jackets come in (550 - 650 for the majority of CG I believe, while NF uses 550 - 800*) AND if you make use of common day technology (base layer + mid layer + outer layer/shell/jacket) there is no reason why most jackets cannot do the job in urban-where-ever-the-****.

Also note that the price discrepancy between the two brands is also affected by the fact that one is manufactured in Canada, while the other in China. I personally don't own any CG jackets or NF jackets, so I can't attest to the quality of either one. But I'm sure the NF jackets hold up well and quality may not be an issue.

*I believe the higher down filled jackets use a higher blend of down than the lower ones, possibly 90/10 - 95/5, possibly for the 700 and up.*

robowarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by palma
Dammit did I miss out on the bloomingdale sale or is it still going and some sort of coupon is needed?

You missed it :/. Please write here if there are any other places to get CD gear on discount in US/Canada.

Interesting post, BigBoy. I will take TNF in consideration when buying my winter parka.

nonissue

Reaction score
just ordered a medium cheateau. tried on small/large in store today, fit was surprisingly slim. won't dread the -40 days as much anymore.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
oh okay.
Originally Posted by bigboy
I've kind of wanted to keep out of this whole thing seeing as how too many people seem set on one or the other. For one, many CG jackets don't even use goose down, they use duck down. Duck down in comparison to goose down is inferior. Granted, when they do use Canadian goose down, and if it is in fact white Hutterite goose down, then it'll make for a solid jacket with great warmth..but don't kid yourself, that's the quality they use in extreme conditions (read: expeditions to the arctic and other harsh climates), are you really going to sit there in urban-where-ever-the-**** and say that you need that jacket? Clearly not. And if you do..you need to realize that living in an cold environment suggests that you layer; base layer, mid layer, shell. With that being said, and common sense guiding you to some degree, most jackets will do the job where ever you live. Now, as to the issue of north face vs. Canada goose. Many north face jackets actually use goose down. I believe they use Hungarian goose down; goose down which is a close 2nd to Canadian goose. Now taking into account what I said earlier about the type of down that's used in many Canada goose jackets, the condition they're meant to be worn in, and the amount of down the majority of the jackets come in (550 - 650 for the majority of CG I believe, while NF uses 550 - 800*) AND if you make use of common day technology (base layer + mid layer + outer layer/shell/jacket) there is no reason why most jackets cannot do the job in urban-where-ever-the-****. Also note that the price discrepancy between the two brands is also affected by the fact that one is manufactured in Canada, while the other in China. I personally don't own any CG jackets or NF jackets, so I can't attest to the quality of either one. But I'm sure the NF jackets hold up well and quality may not be an issue. *I believe the higher down filled jackets use a higher blend of down than the lower ones, possibly 90/10 - 95/5, possibly for the 700 and up.*

bob99

Reaction score
Irbe - they are all the same Jacket. The Manitoba is only available as a Japanese edition, there is no standard edition of it.

I've tried this one on at Uncle Otis (also available at Holt Renfrew and Over The Rainbow) though I ended up buying the non-pocketed Calgary version instead.

It's a great coat! The new graphite ones this year are a particularly nice colourway.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob. Tried on one on Queen street expecting to be a MEDIUM since I heard it was slimmer. Had to size down to a small. Going to be looking to see cheapest place to buy.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Please Respond
Don't know much about fill count. Wonder if it would be a good jacket for our mild LA winters or too heavy/bulky?
I would think anything with down would be too much for an LA "winter".

Mattt33

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum - read some great info here so far!

I have a question about the Canada Goose Chateau parka - would it be safe to say that it's equal in warmth compared to the Chilliwack?

Also, I've tried on a Chilliwack and a 'large' fits great. I haven't been able to try on a Chateau, but from what I've heard the Chateau fits a bit slimmer so thus it would be recommended to go one size up from a (i.e. get an X-large rather than a large)?

Thanks for the help!!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

Agree. Mine is too warm for this weather so I don't wear it. My better half, on the other hand, just bought a thinner one to compliment her heavy thick one for the cold winters. Her new one is A LOT lighter and not as bulky, and matches our fall weather quite well. Personally, I really like my thick CG jacket in the dead of winter but in the fall and spring it is too hot to wear.

robowarrior

Reaction score
Sale at bloomingdales again, but they don't have that many models left. 25$ off every 200$ plus free shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads