• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a jacket made

Bbodnar

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the NYC area and need a recommendation. I have tweed that I picked up in Scotland that I would like made into a blazer/sports jacket. The tailor I was using moved abroad and I have no idea where to go. I don't mind shipping the fabric and a well fitting example to someone outside of my area, but I would like to keep the price around $500. My only real requirement is that it be full canvassed. I gather that has me shipping to somewhere like Asia, but does anybody have a recommendations?
Thank you.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the NYC area and need a recommendation. I have tweed that I picked up in Scotland that I would like made into a blazer/sports jacket. The tailor I was using moved abroad and I have no idea where to go. I don't mind shipping the fabric and a well fitting example to someone outside of my area, but I would like to keep the price around $500. My only real requirement is that it be full canvassed. I gather that has me shipping to somewhere like Asia, but does anybody have a recommendations?
Thank you.
Here's a couple of suggestions:

Angel Ramos
I'm not sure if Angel does CMT (which is what you are seeking to do), but you can always ask.

Eric Jensen
Eric has joined forces with Stefano Bemer, but is still working out of NYC.

Cad & The Dandy
Their NYC penthouse atelier is quite impressive and I'm sure they will do CMT.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of suggestions:

Angel Ramos
I'm not sure if Angel does CMT (which is what you are seeking to do), but you can always ask.

Eric Jensen
Eric has joined forces with Stefano Bemer, but is still working out of NYC.

Cad & The Dandy
Their NYC penthouse atelier is quite impressive and I'm sure they will do CMT.
Good choices but I’m not sure any of those are near his $500 budget.

I’m not sure of anyone who will do a fully canvassed CMT jacket for $500 though which is probably why @Bbodnar hasnt gotten any bites. I don’t even think Luxire gets close to that.

Bbodnar

Reaction score

I’m not sure of anyone who will do a fully canvassed CMT jacket for $500 though which is probably why @Bbodnar hasnt gotten any bites. I don’t even think Luxire gets close to that.
Yea, the price range is hard. I know there are plenty of tailors overseas that do whole suits fully canvassed for the 500-750 range. Even MAB in NYC does made-to-measure jackets for $650, but they only allow you to bring your own fabric for their full bespoke. My tailor in the city used to do jackets for that price, but it's one of those "you gotta know a guy" pieces of advice I'm looking for.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You get what you pay for.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.
Agreed.
Yea, the price range is hard. I know there are plenty of tailors overseas that do whole suits fully canvassed for the 500-750 range.
there’s a difference between someone who will do it and someone who can do it well. What you’re asking for doesn’t really exist. If you can get up to 750 I think that’s where Luxire is but I’m not sure I’d gamble a length of cloth I cared about on a first remote order.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I have a really hard time believing it's gonna be high quality at that price range. If it's fabric you care about, I'd save and go for something you can be more confident in (No Man Walks Alone CMT sport coats are $1,295 I think, for example).

That said, Junior's in Philadelphia does MTM sport coats around $1K. I imagine it would be a few $100s less if they offer CMT (although I don't know if they do).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads