• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying classic fit Harrington jacket in 2024

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to reboot my spring outerwear, and my mind keeps going back to Daniel Craig's James Bond. His contemporary Harrington jacket comes to mind: https://fromtailorswithlove.co.uk/quantum-of-solace-bonds-navy-tom-ford-harrington-review

However, classic makers like Barracuta and Sunspel seem to be cutting theirs much slimmer these days. If you're a stockier guy and looking for a looser fit even around the chest, what brands would you look at for a Harrington jacket with the classic details?

Finally, would you look for one with the classic tartan lining? I notice Sunspel's current Harrington foregoes this detail.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've been wanting to reboot my spring outerwear, and my mind keeps going back to Daniel Craig's James Bond. His contemporary Harrington jacket comes to mind: https://fromtailorswithlove.co.uk/quantum-of-solace-bonds-navy-tom-ford-harrington-review

However, classic makers like Barracuta and Sunspel seem to be cutting theirs much slimmer these days. If you're a stockier guy and looking for a looser fit even around the chest, what brands would you look at for a Harrington jacket with the classic details?

Finally, would you look for one with the classic tartan lining? I notice Sunspel's current Harrington foregoes this detail.
Baracuta did a few years ago an « authentic fit » archive model that is exactly what you are looking for.
Apparently they still have it, but in only one color I think.

Otherwise you can probably find one on eBay; or in an online shop, Stuarts London sold it and I think John Simons too, but don’t know if they still stock it.

I am a big fan of « Harringtons » since the 1980s and I have 4 at the moment. But as I am tall and slender I prefer a slimmer fitting.

Lining/Lapels with or without Tartan are OK, it’s personal preference. I have both.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Barbour a good starting point for this? Or have people here written off Harringtons for more interesting styles?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Barbour Harrington (Brobel model) and love it. Since my suede Baracuta doesn't leave the house if there's a chance of rain, it makes a great pairing.

Also, Harringtons are pretty eternal style wise. I think any stylish man should have at least one. I'm up to three.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Grenfell Harrington. Available in several colours and two different fits, one of which is a roomier "classic" fit.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes I wanted to say that Grenfell Harringtons are roomier. @Man-of-Mystery got a contemporary one, and also a vintage Baracuta with a classic fit, maybe he could compare.

At the moment, I have two Baracutas G9, both made in England, a cotton outer slimfit one and a polycotton contemporary one.
Also got an Aquascutum (G9 style), and an Uniqlo U (G4 style).

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay I pulled the trigger and just bought the current Steve McQueen Harrington from Barbour. Seems OK except it has a large embroidered (not high contrast) Barbour patch on the left sleeve and no tartan lining.

I’m surprised Sunspel’s current Harrington is slim fit (and has non working pockets), and Barbour International’s other summer jacket, the Duke field jacket, is also slim fit.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Barbour McQueen Harrington a limited edition, or likely something that will be available? If you like the fit and details and want one in stone, should you buy it now or just wait for the sale?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads