• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calzado Pepay, Bespoke Shoemaker in Santiago, Chile Thead

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be too much- what do you think, there are 10 SF members in all of Santiago?

Gluing the suede to the lining would be like basting stiching, then, something temporary while the fitting gets straightened out. Makes sense.

The other obvious reason they are sleek is that they are oxfords. I think I'd be in the market for a derby, instead, but to each their own, clearly.

What's the sole going to be?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted those yellow shoes to wear with my green suit and yellow tie as I transform into "Brazil Man" in time for the World Cup.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 SF members? Maybe... as far as I know we have less than 5 active members.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the glue is just temporary (like basting).

Sole will be all leather with channeled stitching. Heel will be half leather, half rubber. I considered getting a full leather heel, since it will be easy enough to take them to the shop for a reheel. I, however, decided against it because I'm quite rough on my soles, as are the chilean streets. They have full rubber heels, rubber covered leather heels, half and half. and full leather heels. Basically everything.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying this experience. It's quite amazing that they are so much cheaper than bespoke shoes in US, England or Japan.

I wanted those yellow shoes to wear with my green suit and yellow tie as I transform into "Brazil Man" in time for the World Cup.

:nodding:

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~5 members in Santiago. Interesting.

And I think Patek solved it!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, all done!

Took 21 days from ordering to fitting to finished shoes.

The shoes fit well, but are a bit snug in the instep. The maker mentioned that they will stretch a bit there, which I can imagine. They fit better than any other shoe I've owned. I wish the leather was of higher quality, but considering the price I paid for these (260 USD), I really can't complain. I also wish they made lasted shoe trees since my feet are quite different from normal. The trees I have from Brooks Brothers fit fine, but the woodlore epic don't work because the instep is much too large.

Here's the shoo Appreciation. Click pics for larger images.

Proof that they're made by hand:

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents!

Yeah... The price is quite incredible. I mentioned how much bespoke shoes cost in the US or Japan (at least 1000 up to 3000 USD or more)... he said that he could buy a car for that price hahahaha.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

congrats. wear them in good health.
how do you rate the quality of the leather? it's pretty difficult, if you haven't dealt with this material for many years.

I'm no expert in leather but I've seen a nicer nap on suede before. Plus, there seem to be some minor imperfections in the suede if I look closely. The other brown suede they had in the shop had a much nicer nap, almost velvety. Alas, I wanted this color.

Still, it's not bad. No more AEs for me hahaha.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright, all done!
Took 21 days from ordering to fitting to finished shoes.
The shoes fit well, but are a bit snug in the instep. The maker mentioned that they will stretch a bit there, which I can imagine. They fit better than any other shoe I've owned. I wish the leather was of higher quality, but considering the price I paid for these (260 USD), I really can't complain. I also wish they made lasted shoe trees since my feet are quite different from normal. The trees I have from Brooks Brothers fit fine, but the woodlore epic don't work because the instep is much too large.
Here's the shoo Appreciation. Click pics for larger images.

Proof that they're made by hand:

Those do look really nice. I have to agree with you on the leather quality though as suede is one of the few leathers that a newb like me can tell the difference (not in pictures, just in person). The shoes look great though and we will have to take your work on the lack of suede quality.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know... maybe I'm wrong about the quality. I remember seeing some high quality suede shoes that look like these. I guess there are different levels of nap that suede can have. This one doesn't have very long nap.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
For $260, those shoes are a steal. Thanks for putting all the work into this, Music.

IIRC, experienced members like Will Boehlke (?) and others have said that with suede, you don't really notice quality differences in the leather until you're into very expensive (EG and better) RTW territory

Be interested to hear a bespoke bootmater like DWFII's take.

Music, have you done threads on Santiago or Buenos Aires tailors?

Any plans for a balmoral boot? :)

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very cool, I will end up paying him a visit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads