• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calzado Pepay, Bespoke Shoemaker in Santiago, Chile Thead

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazy busy week for me... I'll post soon. It may not be possible to update until next week. Sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an update.

I went again the other day to the store to ask about the process, etc. I mentioned the term Horma and she knew what I was talking about. She mentioned they make the shoes to your own feet. I'm still not 100% sure they actually make the lasts for your own feet. She also allowed me to come into the leather room and there was quite a selection. They know their stuff. They even have shell cordovan, although I'm not sure where it was 'made'. Pretty sure it's not Horween since I didn't see any stamps on the back. I have 2 weeks off now and will probably order this coming week. Planning on getting a suede balmoral made. I will ask to take pictures for your pleasure.

Here is a picture of the store front:

Last edited:

Uncle Ernie

Reaction score
A little glossary on shoe parts that might come in handy... just keep in mind that terms might change between Spain & Chile.

I believe Argentina produces some great leather (at least it did in the past), perhaps that's something they can help you explore.

Suerte

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little glossary on shoe parts that might come in handy... just keep in mind that terms might change between Spain & Chile.

I believe Argentina produces some great leather (at least it did in the past), perhaps that's something they can help you explore.

Suerte

Muchas gracias. This helps a lot. I will definitely bring this with me. I'm sure there are some differences between terminology, but I can't imagine there are many, since these are specialized terms.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Planning on getting a suede balmoral made. I will ask to take pictures for your pleasure.

just out of curiosity. you mentioned, you can't properly close a dm and now you're in the thought a bal is easier in getting a good fit. no?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just out of curiosity. you mentioned, you can't properly close a dm and now you're in the thought a bal is easier in getting a good fit. no?

With a balmoral you can always tighten the laces, right? With a monk, there is only so much that can be done with tightening a buckle, it's almost like a loafer right? Then again, I haven't tried on many monks, so I could have just been my experience with the few pairs I've tried in the past.

I own a few pairs of balmorals and they fit well, although my bluchers tend to fit slightly better since I can pull them tighter over my low instep.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

With a balmoral you can always tighten the laces, right? With a monk, there is only so much that can be done with tightening a buckle, it's almost like a loafer right? Then again, I haven't tried on many monks, so I could have just been my experience with the few pairs I've tried in the past.

I own a few pairs of balmorals and they fit well, although my bluchers tend to fit slightly better since I can pull them tighter over my low instep.

i get your points. rule of thumb says: bals are better for a low instep.

from your description, your problem with the monks has something to do with the height/width ratio of your feet. so it's the number of all parameters.

looking forward to your updates.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any news?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no news yet. I am in contact with someone who may know of a better bespoke shoemaker in Santiago so I am waiting to hear back from her. I still am keeping this thread in mind and will definitely keep it updated. So sorry for the delay.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Unfortunately, no news yet. I am in contact with someone who may know of a better bespoke shoemaker in Santiago so I am waiting to hear back from her. I still am keeping this thread in mind and will definitely keep it updated. So sorry for the delay.

no worries. i didn't realize that you don't want to try this one...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a quest... I want to get the best I can get here. If all things work out, I'll go to them next week, at latest the week after (I'm off the entire week). The shop is closed on the weekends, or I would definitely go tomorrow.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's a quest... I want to get the best I can get here. If all things work out, I'll go to them next week, at latest the week after (I'm off the entire week). The shop is closed on the weekends, or I would definitely go tomorrow.

i understand. imo "the best" is a relative term. at this price point you can try both and compare?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good point! Hopefully the worst case scenario is that I'll have a few pairs of beater shoes if I'm not thrilled with the outcome.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads