• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calzado Pepay, Bespoke Shoemaker in Santiago, Chile Thead

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IIRC, experienced members like Will Boehlke (?) and others have said that with suede, you don't really notice quality differences in the leather until you're into very expensive (EG and better) RTW territory

i never felt that his experience with shoes is valuable.

the family of a friend runs their leather business in the third generation and also he struggles sometimes...

sspp

Reaction score
I'm getting a pair TOMORROW!! Will update thread with pics and experience.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For $260, those shoes are a steal. Thanks for putting all the work into this, Music.
IIRC, experienced members like Will Boehlke (?) and others have said that with suede, you don't really notice quality differences in the leather until you're into very expensive (EG and better) RTW territory
Be interested to hear a bespoke bootmater like DWFII's take.
Music, have you done threads on Santiago or Buenos Aires tailors?
Any plans for a balmoral boot? :)

It's definitely been my pleasure!

;) I have many plans... This is a great idea! My list so far includes loafers, double monks (if the hardware is to my liking), some formal shoes... and blamoral boot sounds freaking awesome.

I'm going to be working on my bespoke tailors in Santiago next. I really need/want some new items. I have a maker that seems to be great. Look for a thread in the next 6 months.

I'm getting a pair TOMORROW!! Will update thread with pics and experience.

:slayer: Excellent! Unforuntately, they told me the shoe makers will be on vacation in February! They'll still be there tomorrow as far as I know. You can check out the RTW too, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Keep us posted!

very cool, I will end up paying him a visit.

Excellent. Let me know when you're in Santiago next.

I just wore them outside for the first time. Very nice...

Last edited:

sspp

Reaction score
Please do keep us posted on whatever bespoke tailors you find.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

sspp

Reaction score
I spoke with a friend of mine who told me there are several good shoemakers in San Diego near Victoria... I haven't been there yet, it's quite far from where I live, but maybe I'll check it out and report it for you.

sspp

Reaction score
Ok, so I went to Pepay and got my first pair of bespoke shoes today!
I got my foot measured, and traced in a notebook.
For the shoe, I chose something very similar to:
http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Eng/Modellek_08_Olasz/Modell_08_066_Nagy.html
Except in my case it would be a "fake-oxford", only decoration, and one piece of leather... More like a wholecut, but in a last more similar to Vass' U Last.
The leather is calf in a burgundy shade.
The price was, according to Google,
110 000 Chilean pesos = 228.69 U.S. dollars
As musicguy warned me, the shop is on vacation during February, so I should have my first fitting mid March, and have the shoes ready by the end of March.
Didn't have a camera on me, so I couldn't get any pics. Next time I'll try to remember!

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome choice! Looking forward to seeing/hearing about your shoes!

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
This is great. Thanks for keeping this going, guys. There's definitely a lot of upside to living in Finisterra: I could do with a cafe culture, a pisco sour, and a $250 welted fitted custom shoe right about now... Plus life in a Latin American city that actually works, with a great climate.

Speaking of Latin American cities, this makes me think that I should push on this summer by exploring tailors in a city that doesn't work as well, Mexico.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is great. Thanks for keeping this going, guys. There's definitely a lot of upside to living in Finisterra: I could do with a cafe culture, a pisco sour, and a $250 welted fitted custom shoe right about now... Plus life in a Latin American city that actually works, with a great climate.
Speaking of Latin American cities, this makes me think that I should push on this summer by exploring tailors in a city that doesn't work as well, Mexico.

Buena suerte amigo!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sspp

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not explaining it right.
I chose the shoe based on a catalog, I think it was Church's with some other shoes from other makers. All very classic.
Did you see the ones on the links I posted? That's what I mean with fake captoe, just like the decorated wingtip from the second link, not sewn on the shoe.

Tesla

Reaction score
****! I've passed by that store a couple of times (it's in Tenderini street) and never thought the shoes looked good (that "taxi" shoe kept distracting me), but after seeing your pictures, I'm gonna have to wait until march and go there to get me a pair in dark brown suede. I was just about to go for some C&J, but for the price, screw C&J and welcome Pepays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads