• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, I appreciate your response. I've seen that message from eBay, maybe the answer is right in front of my face, but are they somehow taking that extra 6/7% straight from my PayPal after the sale is made? Or is that just money that I get to keep? Every sale I've made lately has that extra percentage tacked on, I feel like I should understand this better than I do but it's just going right over my head. Unless what I'm missing is the fact that we'll just get taxed based on a slightly bigger revenue number at the end of the year since the sales tax is added on to every sale.
If you look closely at any of your recent paypal transactions which included state sales tax, you will see that the full amount including sales tax is deposited into your account. Paypal then applies their 2.9% fee to the entire amount (including sales tax) and ebay withdraws the sales tax and remits on your behalf before you ever see it. You are left with the remainder.

It's kinda crappy for paypal to take a fee on the tax portion, but the fractional increase in fees is definitely worth not having to deal with hundreds of tax rates across the country. For example $100K sales a year at an estimated 8% sales tax average, would result in about $230 in extra paypal fees. $20 a month to not have to deal with it....Yes please!

madeinbogota

Reaction score
If you look closely at any of your recent paypal transactions which included state sales tax, you will see that the full amount including sales tax is deposited into your account. Paypal then applies their 2.9% fee to the entire amount (including sales tax) and ebay withdraws the sales tax and remits on your behalf before you ever see it. You are left with the remainder.

It's kinda crappy for paypal to take a fee on the tax portion, but the fractional increase in fees is definitely worth not having to deal with hundreds of tax rates across the country. For example $100K sales a year at an estimated 8% sales tax average, would result in about $230 in extra paypal fees. $20 a month to not have to deal with it....Yes please!

@EZB @capnwes Thanks so much fellas. Definitely makes a lot more sense now. Really appreciate both of your guys' help!

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That policy is fucked imo, but it isn't as fucked up as the one where they won't be refunding fees on returns/refunds. That would makes free returns even more expensive.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That policy is fucked imo, but it isn't as fucked up as the one where they won't be refunding fees on returns/refunds. That would makes free returns even more expensive.
IMHO PayPal is grasping at straws to collect any fees they can before the eBay managed payments goes into full effect. I take comfort in the idea that they will be losing a ton of fee money in coming months.

That said, I've never really had any beef with paypal. Their services were a big improvement over the cash/check-through-the-mail method of yesterdecade, and their reasonably priced working capital loans have come in handy on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
IMHO PayPal is grasping at straws to collect any fees they can before the eBay managed payments goes into full effect. I take comfort in the idea that they will be losing a ton of fee money in coming months.

Do you know how it works with double jeopardy? I know on Poshmark if a buyer opens a PayPal case they are permanently suspended. Is that the case with ebay under managed payments? That would be fantastic!

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one for your block list: maggimois-0

She bought a tuxedo from me, then sent it back with no message or anything. I contacted her on eBay, asking what the issue is and for her to start a return through eBay, and I heard nothing. Then PayPal contacted me to say they were getting a chargeback for the item because it was "not as described". I submitted to the all the photos and information from the listing, and asked how exactly it was different from what was described, but today I got a notice saying that the buyer's financial institution was working on the case, and they had deducted the full item cost including shipping, plus a $20 chargeback fee.

I just got off the phone with PayPal, and the rep said she'd credit me for the chargeback fee and for the shipping cost (as a "one time courtesy", of course), so I'm not out any money, but it sucks that PayPal had to cover this person's buyer's remorse plus banking fees. Her ass is blocked.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you know how it works with double jeopardy? I know on Poshmark if a buyer opens a PayPal case they are permanently suspended. Is that the case with ebay under managed payments? That would be fantastic!

Don't know. I'll wait until I'm forced to opt into managed payments, after the bugs are worked out.

Supposedly there is a new 3 strikes policy now for returns abuse, but that remains to be seen. Just be sure you are reporting the abusive buyers.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know. I'll wait until I'm forced to opt into managed payments, after the bugs are worked out.

Supposedly there is a new 3 strikes policy now for returns abuse, but that remains to be seen. Just be sure you are reporting the abusive buyers.
Until scheming buyers find a workaround to combat that... Probably take them a whole week to defeat the 3 strikes issue.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a quick list of fees charged by ebay alternatives? Poshmark's 20% seems pretty insane. Grailed's 6% seems solid but I've been annoyed at the number of non-payers there. Wondering if anyone has a larger list saved anywhere.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Does anyone have a quick list of fees charged by ebay alternatives? Poshmark's 20% seems pretty insane. Grailed's 6% seems solid but I've been annoyed at the number of non-payers there. Wondering if anyone has a larger list saved anywhere.

Posh's 20% does seem like a lot at first, but I do think sales are often higher on there just due to people inflating the price to deal with the offers/20% fee. Also, no PayPal fee on there.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How close is the Ferrari Portofino at this time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads