• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won an item at like $5 that's likely worth $40-$80 - small potato stuff, sure. Still, the seller instantly cancelled my purchase as a "something wrong with buyer's address" (the same address from PayPal I've bought from for years) and then relisted the item as BIN at $40.

While I know I'm not going to get it at my purchase price and, the seller being a dick, I'm not inclined to throw him $40 no matter what - still, what can I do to let other's know that, if he's not an actual scammer, he's certainly not on the up-and-up.

Never been in this situation before... looking back, I can't believe I've bought/sold as much as I have without even a hiccup.
You're free to leave negative feedback.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just won an item at like $5 that's likely worth $40-$80 - small potato stuff, sure. Still, the seller instantly cancelled my purchase as a "something wrong with buyer's address" (the same address from PayPal I've bought from for years) and then relisted the item as BIN at $40.

While I know I'm not going to get it at my purchase price and, the seller being a dick, I'm not inclined to throw him $40 no matter what - still, what can I do to let other's know that, if he's not an actual scammer, he's certainly not on the up-and-up.

Never been in this situation before... looking back, I can't believe I've bought/sold as much as I have without even a hiccup.
Negative feedback

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed on the negative feedback but, what's weird is that since it was cancelled, it doesn't look like I can leave negative feedback. With "normally" completed transactions, the drop down includes the feedback option; but in this case it doesn't.

Maybe it's because it was -just- cancelled, possibly in a day or two it'll be available? Hmm....

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can’t you force him to sell?
I don't see a way to do that within ebay; again, I'm a noob in this territory. Plus, I'm also willing to consider that even if I ~could~ "force" him to sell, it'd probably show up laced with ricin or worse ...

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see a way to do that within ebay; again, I'm a noob in this territory. Plus, I'm also willing to consider that even if I ~could~ "force" him to sell, it'd probably show up laced with ricin or worse ...
Fuck that... I would call eBay and explain the situation. I would demand to be able to leave a negative for that asswipe.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Agreed on the negative feedback but, what's weird is that since it was cancelled, it doesn't look like I can leave negative feedback. With "normally" completed transactions, the drop down includes the feedback option; but in this case it doesn't.

Maybe it's because it was -just- cancelled, possibly in a day or two it'll be available? Hmm....
I just had this happen recently where I bought a pair of shoes for a steal, then the seller messaged me saying they "listed them as the wrong size, so I am going to cancel the transaction, okay?". Messaged back right away saying I still wanted them, but they cancelled anyways. Tried to leave negative feedback but got a message saying I had to wait at least seven days from the day of the sale. You best believe I put a reminder in my phone for that eighth day.

bensm1th

Reaction score

if he cancels an item, it does into his Transaction Defect Rate. After he gets a few of those, his seller rating will go down, and he will have to pay more money to eBay, and eventually lose his account.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah... Read the descriptions for measurements. I wouldn’t have a clue how big a 4XL normally is.

E7C010C1-9023-45EF-B64F-6C2194871646.jpeg

D5A2B89F-844B-4CD8-A7DC-8561CF665799.png

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.