• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He just wants a partial refund. Now that your ass is covered you can give him an ultimatum.
Im just going to reply with polite versions of “do whatever you want” henceforth. He’s still allowed to return, or he can suck it up and keep the suit. I encourage you all to block with extreme prejudice. Looking at his feedback left for others, he frequently mentions that sellers refunded promptly. I forgot to check that before getting into negotiating with him.
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...eftForOthers&ftabfocus=true&searchInterval=30

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C8DB137B-563C-433F-A2FA-A856A5CDF81E.jpeg

TWSS!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This dude really wants $30.
And also, I have 6" of snow outside my window, what the heck makes it impossible for him to get to the Post Office in Florida?

0CF14ED2-240F-4B47-8879-B94A344DCC70.png

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you report the buyer if you haven't already.
I talked to a rep about it, who left a note for future reference if he leaves negative feedback. I haven't reported him through the system yet. Can I do that more than once? like if he returns the suit damaged or just a random assortment of trash like we saw someone get a few weeks ago.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No don’t lol he’ll be super pissed after going to a closed post office
I am sure he knows the post office is closed on Monday. It's probably part of his strategy to send another 150 messages to @Patrologia, telling him that he has another day to issue a $30 refund.
I am hoping though that he makes a trip to the Post Office for nothing.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This dude really wants $30.
And also, I have 6" of snow outside my window, what the heck makes it impossible for him to get to the Post Office in Florida?

View attachment 1319651

You could ask him if he’d be willing to send you a receipt from the tailor specifying this supposed $30 thread repair job and see what happens.

Make sure you report the buyer if you haven't already.

View attachment 1319657

Is it against the rules to ask for a partial refund? I did that after receiving a jacket with an undisclosed inch-long repair near the hem pocket.

The seller either didn’t notice or he hid it in the photographs. I pretended he didn’t notice, said I was bummed I’d only be able to wear it super-casually, and said I’d be up for either a return or partial refund of whatever he thought was fair. He offered $30, and I accepted. (He did seem a little pissed, but I was super honest about my reasoning, and would have returned it without bad feedback).

Did I violate the rules?!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could ask him if he’d be willing to send you a receipt from the tailor specifying this supposed $30 thread repair job and see what happens.

Is it against the rules to ask for a partial refund? I did that after receiving a jacket with an undisclosed inch-long repair near the hem pocket.

The seller either didn’t notice or he hid it in the photographs. I pretended he didn’t notice, said I was bummed I’d only be able to wear it super-casually, and said I’d be up for either a return or partial refund of whatever he thought was fair. He offered $30, and I accepted. (He did seem a little pissed, but I was super honest about my reasoning, and would have returned it without bad feedback).

I think it's generally fine to ask for a refund, but demanding a refund as an ultimatum, not so fine.

Typically if a buyer reaches out to me before opening a return due to some missed/undisclosed damage, I will ask them if they would be open to a partial refund, and then ask them to suggest an amount. It's a pretty rare occurrence these days, since a return is readily available at the click of the button.

Last edited:

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I think it's generally fine to ask for a refund, but demanding a refund as an ultimatum, not so fine.

Typically if a buyer reaches out to me before opening a return due to some missed/undisclosed damage, I will ask them if they would be open to a partial refund, and then ask them to suggest an amount. It's a pretty rare occurrence these days, since a return is readily available at the click of the button.

+1 to this. I've done numerous partial refunds over the years (both as a buyer and a seller), and they've always ended up with both parties being satisfied.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. I might have done a partial if he’d asked for it first, even though I don’t really like partials, but his first message led with an angry “I will be returning this terrible thing for a full refund” attitude. When I said ok, he started demanding ransom and giving me deadlines and ultimatums. At that point I decided we’d entered into ‘do not negotiate with terrorists’ territory. :blush:

Unrelated question: did C&J do US sizing for Barney’s? 304FAB6D-5ADA-4600-ACC4-6C134E0F93A6.jpeg

madeinbogota

Reaction score
This. I might have done a partial if he’d asked for it first, even though I don’t really like partials, but his first message led with an angry “I will be returning this terrible thing for a full refund” attitude. When I said ok, he started demanding ransom and giving me deadlines and ultimatums. At that point I decided we’d entered into ‘do not negotiate with terrorists’ territory. :blush:

Unrelated question: did C&J do US sizing for Barney’s? View attachment 1319833
I believe they did do US sizing for pairs made for Barney's (AKA the US market). I think if memory serves correct, every pair of C&J's that I've had that were made for Barney's had US sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads