Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Sold some pants placing the measured size in the heading and in the body of the listing. Also placed the tagged size in the body of the listing with an advisory to check the measured size vs. the tagged size before purchase. Buyer files a claim with PayPal but not Ebay. Pay pal procedure seems different as they either refund the buyer or find in favor of the seller from what I can see.
    The Buyer is simply making up a claim stating that he went by the measured size when purchasing the pants when the tagged size was different. All of this information was in the listing. He says he cannot use the pants but obviously relied on the measured size in the listing when making his purchase.
    Will Pay pal coordinate with Ebay on the claim or can he open a separate claim with Ebay? I would prefer the Ebay procedure because I have no problem resolving the matter by refund if the buyer will pay shipping to return the pants. With Paypal there seems no option to offer a refund for return to end the claim.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

No haven't won, don't know if he will like it yet because the picture is not for a Hugo Boss linen jacket but for a J Crew cord jacket. I don't care I only bid $1 to get it in my buying area which I follow more than my watch area.

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

How much is too much to spend on a tie you know you can flip for $100? I know that's a personal question, I'm just curious what peoples' thresholds are.

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Why don't you use the retail markup equation? Isn't it 2.2?

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You have two choices:
    1. Allow returns.
    2. Don't allow returns. Have returns forced on you with a side order of negative feedback.

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

If I was 100% confident that I could sell it for $100 I would pay $50 all day long.

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

because you don't have employees or overhead like a retail store... but its not a bad starting point

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'm 100% covered on this one, right?
    Buyer opened a case, item not received. I had sent it tracked, signature confirmation, and insured. usps.com shows as delivered and the name of the person who signed for it.
    The buyer's note in the case says, to the effect, they looked at the order details and realized they had it shipped to their old address (which is their eBay/PayPal address on file).
    I replied to the case with all of the relevant info, including who signed for it, but not much else I can do, far as I can see...or should I call eBay just to get some sort of note on file?

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

3. Accept returns. Still get dinged by people who can't read.

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yeah. You should be fine. Be sure to upload tracking info.

11. TheNeedMachine

Tracking info gets uploaded automatically when I buy postage thru eBay/PayPal - covered that one for sure.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd also add a note to the case that you shipped to the PayPal verified address just to make sue Ebay sees it.

13. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

OK, in the meantime, he took the "squeaking" shoes to a cobbler, who had told him he could remove the inner sole and nail the shank to stop it squeaking.
    He sent me this message "Shoes went in today, picked them up and still squeak, turns out the shank cannot be secured with nails, so he didn't charge. He doesn't want to take the shoes apart to try and fix as will need new soles and shank, which means doing both shoes soles so that they are the same.

I'm pretty angry with these shoes. What a waste of time and money now. It's going to be expensive.

What do you propose? As a local fix will end up with shitty soles. An far off from what I expected to purchase and end up with.?"

I didnt suggest he took them to the cobbler, and I don't know if he's worn them outside. I had only tried them on inside and sold them as new with the info that I tried them in the house. Definitely no squeaks so it must be an issue with the wearer I suppose. How would eBay handle a claim of a squeaking shoe?! Or shoukd I just offer to take them back if they are still i nsame condition? Or should I ask for a declaration from the cobbler that there is a real fault there? I'm not really happy to have the shoes returned with nails put in it for a fault that I never verified in the first place. But wouldn't want to risk losing Power seller 100% status either.

14. TheNeedMachine

This was the response I gave in the case, which hopefully covered all the bases, since I already sent it:
    USPS shows delivered to the PayPal/eBay address on file, and delivered on April 28th 2014.
    Tracking # (
    tracking #), and it was sent with signature confirmation.
    The usps.com website says it was signed for by a person named "(
    person's name)".
    Buyer says they requested shipping to the wrong address, and thus it was delivered there.
    Buyer's local post office should be able to help with locating the package and who it was delivered to (I as the seller cannot see what the buyer's local post office has on file for this package).

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That is too low for some...of course that depends on you starting price. Its easy to talk about ratio's of sales...but it makes all the world difference in the actual income it equates to.

x2 of a 10$ is too low for me...

x2 of 100 is great for me...but that also ties up 100$ until you double it...so take your capital tie-up into equation.

Retail markup is strictly stick to that markup because they usually rely on quantity of sales to help separate margins.

--
    In regards to the tie, if you can sell for 100$, how long will that take?

If its more than a few weeks, then tying up say 50 or more may not be worth it. If you do that 10 times over, thats a great deal of capital. If you go with this equation, is it worth tying up 500$ for 1000$ in sales? Don't forget your 10-13% in eBay / PP fees (overhead)