Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Bait him with information. Ask him "do you notice the squeak on all flooring, or just carpet?" Wait for a response, and hope for a lengthy detailed one including outdoor surfaces....

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I can smell it!!

[​IMG]

3. concealed

concealed Senior member

No offense, but if you are doing this "seriously" I would really not consider the bolded notion of capital tie up in your equations. We sell stuff that moves pretty darn quickly and making a $20 of profit off a $50 investment in 6 months or less is one of the most amazing ROIs you can earn. In fact, its worth paying 6 months of credit card interest ($5) if you don't have the cash on hand. Like I said, the metric for determining whether you should buy it is how confident you are in the final sale price.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Now I am truly pissed and am going to leave negative feedback. First he didn't actually mail this until the next day. I sent him a semi-polite note about it and he said it was eBay's fault they didn't alert him to my payment until 4 days later. Second I bought a pair of 501 38x34 and received the shrink to fit type at 36x31... You would think that might be important information for your auction. But I was an idiot for not requesting it, I guess since the last time I wore shrink to fit 501's were in 1986...

6. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Yes, good suggestion.
    Its not only whether he's worthem other than on carpet now as he has taken it a cobbler who has apparently put nails in.
    I guess I need to have written info from cobbler as to what actual fault he verifiedand what work he has done.
    I actually bought the CJ shoes at their Burlington Arcade store when I was living in London, but never actually wore the shoes aside from trying on at home.
    If I noticed any fault I would have returned them,even now.
    Not so straight forward though to send them back because someone else says they squeak and now has had nails hammered in!

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The way I see it, if you spent $50 on something intending to resell it, that $50 is gone. You don't have that money - you now have a thing which you hope to sell and make a profit. If tying up that $ is of concern, i.e: you need that money for something else (rent, food, whatever), it should not have been spent on the thing...and that's when people get panicky, slash prices, thinking they need to get their money back.
    I personally look at it as a longer-term investment, the majority of which pays off, some more quickly than others. Some come out even, a few I've lost $ on. I can accept that. Why did I tie up $800 in [high end name] jackets on clearance last summer? Because I sold them for triple that in the fall...but I had to wait 4 or 5 months before bothering to list them. Like @concealed said, though, you gotta be pretty sure of your resale.

Paying $50 for a tie you are 100% sure will sell for $100 is a no-brainer - do it. Double your money minus eBay/PayPal.

8. Brianpore

There is no way your going to get writting info from the cobbler. At very most just ask "what did the cobbler do to try and fix the shoes?" Did he put in nails, if so how many, only one shoe or both?

Something like that and see what he says.

To reiterate this point, I just won a case on this item OLIVER PEOPLES Vanadis Brown w/ Gradient Lenes Sycamore Womens Sunglasses. I feel 100% that the item was sold as a pre-owned pair of sunglasss. I can not determine if they will fit you or not.

The buyer said "The glasses are completely defective; the glass arms do not unfold properly and once unfolded, they do not lie straight, rather they bend inwards towards the face. This makes them extremely tight on the face, to the point of them being unwearable. I believe these glasses may have been damaged previously, and are thus now defective."

I replied "Hi, I'm a little confused, sorry. Was the package damaged and the item broken or did you try to adjust the ear pieces to fit you better. Most high end sunglasses can be adjusted and being that these are pre-owned (not new) they might have been adjusted from the previous owner and sold per the photographs in the listing. Please let me know. Thanks Brian

The buyer said "The package was not damaged, and the item was not broken. The item is simply defective as it came. There is no way these glasses can be adjusted, I tried to see if I could make the arms sit straight (as they naturally should sit) but I was concerned this would damage them further. There is no way these glasses would fit on any normal women's face, they would be uncomfortably tight and as mentioned, unwearable."

I called ebay and noted that the buyer "tried to see if I could make the arms sit straight". Right there they lost the case. I feel I still would have won as pre-owned items that do not fit falls under buyers remorse but by asking a few questions you can find out if the buyer had adjusted or done anything to the item.

Last edited: May 8, 2014

9. Brianpore

So bummed....won this guy POLO RALPH LAUREN SIZE 36 SHORT NAVY 3 BUTTON SUIT W/DUAL VENT and the jacket is the "old label" Corneliani, pants are the new label (with $330 price tag attached, NWT??) and the color although really close is not the same. Sending them back but just kind of bummed as it was a pretty good deal on a nice staple suit.

PS - Shout out to Nell for the heads up on the suit being listed! [​IMG]

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Precisely...

Bait him for information you can use against him. Our benefit we have are knowing the rules and regulations better than a casual buyer. Its not to simply take advantage of them, but in our case, knowledge is power. They are here to protect us from he said she said. At the end of the day, you know the truth from being the actual owner of the shoes...

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Word...

I've got stuff I paid $75-100+ for that has been sitting around for a while that I know will sell eventually. It matters little difference in the grand scheme of things whether I make $10 or $100 off an item, as long as I'm consistently creating a positive cash flow that makes it all worth my time.

Right now, year to date, my sales total is 203% of my cost. Considering that I have 450+ items on Ebay right now, that means I'm doing pretty well for what I've actually sold. My weekly income has been creeping steadily upwards (I would be above the median income in just about any area except where I actually live), and I fully intend to make a shitload of money doing this.

In short, don't worry about cash on hand. You're not going to make a lot of money right from the start, but you have to start somewhere. Borrow, use credit, whatever it takes.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I am not the one to make the decision if he is a serious seller, who pays his bills from this, or a casual one. I just gave him the information to think about and if anything would be a concern to him. I spoke about my progress as a seller who went from casual to more serious, and the risks and decisions I had to think about before making a decision. Till this day, I still have some items I cannot invest my capital in because of the turnaround required. I would love to go to a Goodwill Boutique and purchase 90% of its contents because purchasing a suit at 50-70$ and sitting for months to sell for 150+ is a great income as well...But I cannot tie up 10k to go purchase everything.

13. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

Goodwill with 90% of goods worth a damn? Go on...

14. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Ok thanks guys this has been a curve ball for me! Let's say then that the buyer has had the cobbler put nails in the shoe, do i then contact ebay to resolve' as Brian did re the OP frames?

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Believe it or not, yea...it was amazing, but depressing at the prices. They new what they had