Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1

I lost a SNAD for a pair of shoes with "almost" holes in the soles, because ebay thought I had already had them resoled. I was only discussing the cost of such a service, in hopes that the seller would help out a bit.

2. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I decide what would be the middle-of-the-road amount that would make me happy, and go 20-30% higher.

FWIW on your auctions, the ones where you have a shot of the sleeve buttons as the main picture are kinda odd looking and wouldn't stand out to me if I were browsing through listings. And your lack of decent lighting in the photos gives all your shots the same dim, blue-gray cast that isn't very appealing as a buyer.

3. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Yah, definitely having trouble with the lighting, I don't have all that much space to fit everything in view while capturing a true colour of the clothing, which makes me take one of those Shitty up close pictures to try to show the check colour for example. I currently only have two white lights that aren't even on the same level (one that's higher) one that's lower down that ends up casting a small shadow. I'm still experimenting with the whole thing. I appreciate the feedback Org

4. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I'd also recommend using up all 12 photos, especially on shoes and coats/suits. If I'm going to spend several hundred dollars on a pre-owned piece of clothing, I like to see as much of the item as humanly possible. And with shoes and coats, there's always some extra detail that can be photographed.

Here's one pair of shoes I have up right now. I try to take a shot of every angle of each shoe so that the buyer is able to see that I'm not hiding anything on purpose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221432865851?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Everyone wants a "deal" so IMO set you BIN higher by about 20% then what you want to get but it also has to be in reason with other items that have sold obviously.

Funny I'll have items on sale 20% off for 2-3 weeks and when they go off sale people will send offers 10-20% lower then the price. Doing BIN OBO is more about the right person finding your item and wanting it then it is about the price. If that same person saw it a few days earlier then it was on sale I'm very confident they would have made and offer lower then the already 20% sale price.

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

I call this phenomenon the Kohl's-ification of the world. Kinda hate the artificial sales. J.Crew is slipping back into this pattern as well.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Agreed. JosABanking method.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I run an artificial sale every week and it is quite effective. It's all a mind game. Stuff is actually a little cheaper, but not by much.

Last edited: May 7, 2014

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

If it works, why not...why only let big box stores take advantage of the way the human mind endorphins allow people to think "I struck a deal"

I'm all for it

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I feel like it's more traditional of JC Penney.

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

STP

12. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Could someone please explain how you edit your name when bidding on items ie: Exxxxxxxn ?

Thanks

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Your name is auto-hidden from everyone else(except the seller). You can only see your own name.

Think hunter2

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Huh?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You BINOBO'ers are talking to the Kohl-ers of the world.
    Us auctioneers at no reserve are talking to the degenerate gamblers of the world.

I love it.