• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Spoo's recent renovation on his listing template inspired me to work on mine. I would appreciate any feedback. The only difference between the three is the "logo" picture at the top. Which one is best?
[TR]
[TR]
\[COLOR=000000]The Finest Quality & Style in Menswear
[/TR] [TR]
DSC_0043.jpg
[/TR] [TR]
[SIZE=150%] Sartoria Partenopea Navy Double Breasted Sport Coat [/SIZE] Size 40R, Condition: 8.5+/10, Excellent
[/TR] [TR]
DESCRIPTION
DETAILS
[/TR] [TR]

You're viewing an excellent condition sport coat made by Sartoria Partenopea for Cuzzens of Las Vegas. There is no label on the inside of the jacket other than the store label for Cuzzens, but based on the fabric tag I can guarantee this was made by Sartoria Partenopea.
Please send me a message with questions or additional measurements.

Condition Rating Guide
MintLittle to no signs of wear, and comparable to a new item
ExcellentSlight signs of wear, possibly including small, generally unnoticeable knicks and stains or slight fabric fading
GreatNoticeable signs of wear and/or damage, but still plenty or wear left and/or can be repaired. See descriptio
Please note : My qualifications for mint and excellent condition clothing are very stringent. If you purchase a garment and believe it to be of lesser condition than described, please contact me. I will do my best to ensure you are very satisfied with your purchase.

• 100% wool, super 120s worsted
  • See pictures for color/pattern
  • Double breasted closure
  • Side back vents
  • Four button sleeves (non-functional buttons)
  • Flap pockets
  • Fully canvassed
  • Made in Italy
[/TR] [TR]
SIZE AND MEASUREMENTS
[/TR] [TR] [TD]
[TR] [TD]Jacket Size: 40R[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Chest[/TD] [TD]22.00"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Waist[/TD] [TD]20.75"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Sleeve length from top shoulder seam[/TD] [TD]24.50" (0.75" can be let out)[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Length from bottom of back of collar[/TD] [TD]31.25"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Width from shoulder to shoulder[/TD] [TD]19.25"[/TD] [/TR]
[/TD] [/TR] [TR]
[TR]
SHIPPING POLICY
[/TR] [TR] Combined Shipping: If you purchase two or more of my items, I will often package them together and provide a shipping discount. Send me a message for a specific shipping quote. International buyers - Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying. [/TR] [TR] [/TR]
[/TR][/COLOR]
[/TR]​
[TR]
[TR]
[/TR] [TR]
DSC_0036-1.jpg
[/TR] [TR]
[SIZE=150%] Sartoria Partenopea Navy Double Breasted Sport Coat [/SIZE] Size 40R, Condition: 8.5+/10, Excellent
[/TR] [TR]
DESCRIPTION
DETAILS
[/TR] [TR]

You're viewing an excellent condition sport coat made by Sartoria Partenopea for Cuzzens of Las Vegas. There is no label on the inside of the jacket other than the store label for Cuzzens, but based on the fabric tag I can guarantee this was made by Sartoria Partenopea.

Condition Rating Guide
ExcellentSlight signs of wear, possibly including small, generally unnoticeable knicks and stains or slight fabric fading
GreatNoticeable signs of wear and/or damage, but still plenty or wear left and/or can be repaired. See descriptio
Please note : My qualifications for mint and excellent condition clothing are very stringent. If you purchase a garment and believe it to be of lesser condition than described, please contact me. I will do my best to ensure you are very satisfied with your purchase.

• Side back vents
  • Flap pockets
  • Fully canvassed
  • Made in Italy
[/TR] [TR]
SIZE AND MEASUREMENTS
[/TR] [TR] [TD]
[TR] [TD]Jacket Size: 40R[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Chest[/TD] [TD]22.00"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Waist[/TD] [TD]20.75"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Sleeve length from top shoulder seam[/TD] [TD]24.50" (0.75" can be let out)[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Length from bottom of back of collar[/TD] [TD]31.25"[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Width from shoulder to shoulder[/TD] [TD]19.25"[/TD] [/TR]
[/TD] [/TR] [TR]
[TR]
SHIPPING POLICY
[/TR] [TR] Combined Shipping: If you purchase two or more of my items, I will often package them together and provide a shipping discount. Send me a message for a specific shipping quote. International buyers - Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying. [/TR] [TR] [/TR]
[/TR][/COLOR]
[/TR]​
[TR]
[TR]
[/TR] [TR]
DSC_0036-2.jpg
[/TR] [TR]
[COLOR=000000][SIZE=150%] Sartoria Partenopea Navy Double Breasted Sport Coat [/SIZE] Size 40R, Condition: 8.5+/10, Excellent[/COLOR]​
[/TR] [TR]
DESCRIPTION
DETAILS
[/TR] [TR]

Condition Rating Guide

• Side back vents
  • Flap pockets
  • Fully canvassed
  • Made in Italy
[/TR] [TR]
SIZE AND MEASUREMENTS
[/TR] [TR] [TD]
[/TD] [/TR] [TR]
[TR]
SHIPPING POLICY
[/TR][/COLOR]
[/TR]​
That's a good idea. I haven't checked out Spoo's new template, so I'll have to take a look. I personally prefer the first one. It's no contest for me, but I don't know exactly why!

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Buyer ruefully acknowledges they didn't see the colour description because they bought from a phone but is happy with the resolution.

Bottom line: this is a great thread and great group of contributors! :slayer:

Offer to accept a return but since the shirt was listed as purple / lilac shipping costs there and back are on him and you charge a 10% or $10 restocking fee. 

mjt73106

Reaction score
I agree with this. I get 50 free listings each month, so my strategy is to put a starting price of what I am willing to take, since many of the less popular items are only going to get one bid, and anything else is gravy. For thrift store stuff this usually means 17-20$ starting bid, so I make a net profit of 5$. Also, I always throw a buy it now option on there (with the free listings) with a price that I would be very pleased to get.

I have had several situations in which bidders bid up from the starting price and the final price is higher than the original buy it now, that always makes me giggle.

For higher ticket items like shoes, in not the most common (9-12d) sizes, where you really need to find a specific buyer, I think BINOBO is far superior.
+1 I always try to start my auctions at the lowest price that I would feel comfortable selling the item. I have purchased a lot of great items from sellers listing low and believing that the market will set the correct price.

As an example; http://www.ebay.com/itm/12092996437...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_13161wt_1413

As an aside, never bundle items when you can make more by selling separately.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First one by a long shot.

Question: I sold something. Dude told me he would pay on X day (4 days after auction ends). I wait three days past when he tells me and file a non-payment case. Immediately after filing the case he sends me an upset message about how he is going to pay. On the fourth day right before I can close out the case, he pays. I shipped the item. That was two weeks ago. Tracking now shows "notice left" and I'm afraid he plans on not picking up the pants. What happens if the dude never picks them up and USPS sends them back to me (and of course I will no longer be at this address... so that's a bonus)? Do I get forced to return price+shipping?

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If it's made in Italy then add "Corneliani" to it to find the more knowledgeable high-end shoppers

That's good advice and I've considered it in the past. I'm always worried about adding the maker, even if I'm 100% sure who it was, because someone might feel misled if it doesn't specifically say "Corneliani" or whatever

Do you add an explanation that it was made for whomever but doesn't specifically state that on the tag?

mjt73106

Reaction score
First one by a long shot.
Question: I sold something. Dude told me he would pay on X day (4 days after auction ends). I wait three days past when he tells me and file a non-payment case. Immediately after filing the case he sends me an upset message about how he is going to pay. On the fourth day right before I can close out the case, he pays. I shipped the item. That was two weeks ago. Tracking now shows "notice left" and I'm afraid he plans on not picking up the pants. What happens if the dude never picks them up and USPS sends them back to me (and of course I will no longer be at this address... so that's a bonus)? Do I get forced to return price+shipping?
It depends on what the buyer does. If he does nothing, you may eventually get the item back without being forced to issue a refund. It can take the USPS up to a month to return the package to you. If he files a did not receive case through eBay or PayPal, you will probably loose and will have to refund total cost plus shipping. You should not refund the money until you receive the item. Have a forwarding notice with the USPS if you move. By the way, the tracking information via eBay/USPS will not show when you actually receive an item via return mail. It will simply say that the item is being returned.

I have my non-payment assistant set at four days. It will automatically open a nonpayment case after four days for items that have not been paid. The buyer has four days to pay before the case is closed. Inform your buyer when they indicate that they will pay with in that eight day period that they may see a an non-payment case opened due to the automatic case setting. If they keep their word and pay that should have no issue. You can turn off the automatic assistant if you wish or if you agree to wait past the 8 day period.
cool.gif

Last edited:

goneAWOL

Reaction score
A question for heavier volume ebayers. How do you keep records for tax purposes? Do you use any software? I currently have a pretty sophisticated excel spreadsheet that I built with tons of code and some low-level macros. I enter in a description and cost for every item I buy, so that I can track cost of goods sold. After a year of doing this though, my spreadsheet has over 1000 rows and 10 tabs, and it is getting very slow. I'm thinking about getting quickbooks or something like that.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on strategies for listing Holland & Holland? I don't want my listing to get buried under a pile of Holland sports merch.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good advice and I've considered it in the past. I'm always worried about adding the maker, even if I'm 100% sure who it was, because someone might feel misled if it doesn't specifically say "Corneliani" or whatever
Do you add an explanation that it was made for whomever but doesn't specifically state that on the tag?

Yes, I would say it's made by Corneliani for PRL

For those of you who sell stuff you thrift, what do you do when buyers ask where you got them? I've told people a few times, but really I want to say "none of your damned business"

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would never tell. It can lead to no good, but it surely can create ill will. You could just say you were consigning the item or simply ignore them. Haven't been faced with that yet.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I would never tell. It can lead to no good, but it surely can create ill will. You could just say you were consigning the item or simply ignore them. Haven't been faced with that yet.
+1 consigned to yourself. This is what I say if people really care where it came from.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's an interesting non-clothing ebay question...

Bought a polaroid camera I've been looking for for a long time. Seller stated that it works great, and even included the rest of the film in the camera, along with a little ****** tripod that I'll be donating. I even messaged him first to make sure it worked well. (also the bottom of the camera has a sticker stating that it had been reconditioned to new operating standards/carried full warranty back when it was repaired). Link to auction

So I got it yesterday, fired it up, and the shutter fired/flash popped, but the picture didn't spit out at all. I try this a couple times. Open the door to the film area, and it looks sort of jammed. So I put the film back in its place and kept trying. Eventually I figured it was a battery issue. For those that don't know, the battery pack is in the film cartridge. So I had an empty film cart, went in a dark room and by hand swapped each unexposed shot into the other cartridge. I installed it and shot some pics... It works better (the pictures spit out the front) but it's still really sluggish and not dependable very dependable at all. Takes probably 3x as long as usual for the picture to spit out.

Now, I have stockpiled polaroid film, so I could install a fresh pack that should have 0 issues and a great battery, but the film is scarce and expensive these days (the real stuff, not impossible project). Do I use another pack to verify that the previous issues were just anomalies, at the expense of using up some of my resources? Or do you think I should punt and ask for a return (seller states no returns, but it's backed by ebay etc).
Have any of the leftover film left? If so, swap them back into the cartridge the seller sent, place the cartridge into another camera you have that uses that film (whether sx-70 or 600). Then see if it works well from there.

Are the rollers clean? Maybe they are a little gummed up causing some resistance - this would be my guess. Any corrosion way in the back of the film compartment?

BTW, that Minolta for that price is insane, nice find. IMHO well worth paying to have CLA'd

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question for heavier volume ebayers.  How do you keep records for tax purposes?  Do you use any software?  I currently have a pretty sophisticated excel spreadsheet that I built with tons of code and some low-level macros.  I enter in a description and cost for every item I buy, so that I can track cost of goods sold.  After a year of doing this though, my spreadsheet has over 1000 rows and 10 tabs, and it is getting very slow.  I'm thinking about getting quickbooks or something like that.

quickbooks
really all that matters is what you paid, what it sold for, and the fees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads