Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's a good idea. I haven't checked out Spoo's new template, so I'll have to take a look. I personally prefer the first one. It's no contest for me, but I don't know exactly why!

2. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Update: Buyer ruefully acknowledges they didn't see the colour description because they bought from a phone but is happy with the resolution.

Bottom line: this is a great thread and great group of contributors! :slayer:

3. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 I always try to start my auctions at the lowest price that I would feel comfortable selling the item. I have purchased a lot of great items from sellers listing low and believing that the market will set the correct price.

As an example; http://www.ebay.com/itm/12092996437...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_13161wt_1413

As an aside, never bundle items when you can make more by selling separately.

4. chiron

chiron Senior member

Quote:Originally Posted by goneAWOL [​IMG]

Spoo's recent renovation on his listing template inspired me to work on mine. I would appreciate any feedback. The only difference between the three is the "logo" picture at the top. Which one is best?

First one!!!​

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

First one by a long shot.

Question: I sold something. Dude told me he would pay on X day (4 days after auction ends). I wait three days past when he tells me and file a non-payment case. Immediately after filing the case he sends me an upset message about how he is going to pay. On the fourth day right before I can close out the case, he pays. I shipped the item. That was two weeks ago. Tracking now shows "notice left" and I'm afraid he plans on not picking up the pants. What happens if the dude never picks them up and USPS sends them back to me (and of course I will no longer be at this address... so that's a bonus)? Do I get forced to return price+shipping?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's good advice and I've considered it in the past. I'm always worried about adding the maker, even if I'm 100% sure who it was, because someone might feel misled if it doesn't specifically say "Corneliani" or whatever

Do you add an explanation that it was made for whomever but doesn't specifically state that on the tag?

7. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

It depends on what the buyer does. If he does nothing, you may eventually get the item back without being forced to issue a refund. It can take the USPS up to a month to return the package to you. If he files a did not receive case through eBay or PayPal, you will probably loose and will have to refund total cost plus shipping. You should not refund the money until you receive the item. Have a forwarding notice with the USPS if you move. By the way, the tracking information via eBay/USPS will not show when you actually receive an item via return mail. It will simply say that the item is being returned.

I have my non-payment assistant set at four days. It will automatically open a nonpayment case after four days for items that have not been paid. The buyer has four days to pay before the case is closed. Inform your buyer when they indicate that they will pay with in that eight day period that they may see a an non-payment case opened due to the automatic case setting. If they keep their word and pay that should have no issue. You can turn off the automatic assistant if you wish or if you agree to wait past the 8 day period. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

8. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

A question for heavier volume ebayers. How do you keep records for tax purposes? Do you use any software? I currently have a pretty sophisticated excel spreadsheet that I built with tons of code and some low-level macros. I enter in a description and cost for every item I buy, so that I can track cost of goods sold. After a year of doing this though, my spreadsheet has over 1000 rows and 10 tabs, and it is getting very slow. I'm thinking about getting quickbooks or something like that.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This. But curious to just see what your excel program looks like, if you feel like sharing.

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Anyone have any advice on strategies for listing Holland & Holland? I don't want my listing to get buried under a pile of Holland sports merch.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yes, I would say it's made by Corneliani for PRL

For those of you who sell stuff you thrift, what do you do when buyers ask where you got them? I've told people a few times, but really I want to say "none of your damned business"

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I would never tell. It can lead to no good, but it surely can create ill will. You could just say you were consigning the item or simply ignore them. Haven't been faced with that yet.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 consigned to yourself. This is what I say if people really care where it came from.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Have any of the leftover film left? If so, swap them back into the cartridge the seller sent, place the cartridge into another camera you have that uses that film (whether sx-70 or 600). Then see if it works well from there.

Are the rollers clean? Maybe they are a little gummed up causing some resistance - this would be my guess. Any corrosion way in the back of the film compartment?

BTW, that Minolta for that price is insane, nice find. IMHO well worth paying to have CLA'd

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

quickbooks
    really all that matters is what you paid, what it sold for, and the fees