1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

The Wirecutter is a great review site for tech gear (also, the Sweethome for home products). They have a few printer suggestions depending on your needs:

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/printers-2/

I always consult the Wirecutter/Sweethome before making any purchases.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Hey guys, anyone have experience shipping to Israel from Canada, anyone know the best way and maybe an estimated price? I've never done international before thanks

3. suited

suited Senior member

I have the Brother 2140 (hooked to my iMac) and it has been going strong for 5 years or so. It's probably not as fast as the newer Brother models that were mentioned.

I bought it when I got rid of the colored printer I had. You know, one of those printers that has separate cartridges for each color which was supposed to be some sort of convenience, despite the fact that the colors regularly "ran out" even though I only printed in B&W. If you were "out" of yellow ink, for instance, it wouldn't let you print in B&W. Amazing.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I hate people sometimes... I got this neutral feedback... Dude didn't pay until I opened a case (after sending multiple invoices):

Quote:
    This was ALSO after I sent him a message apologizing for opening the case and making sure he understood that an unpaid item case is no big deal as long as he pays for the item. How do people live with themselves??

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Speaking of buyers I've gotten a ridiculous amount of best offers that then get retracted. Even had a few buyers then message offers saying they couldn't offer since they retracted the max limit of offers. Nothingi would have accepted but is this a new buyer strategy or something?

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Probably... I've been getting a ton of lowball offers by people who then reject reasonable counteroffers. I'm beginning to eliminate the best offer option from my BIN listings.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I sometimes put OBO on stale BIN's, but my results have been better with just reducing the price. Ebay lowballers are not worth my time.

9. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

any insight on shipping to brazil?

usps first class reliable? i'm thinking about shipping a shirt.

10. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Awesome

I think the consensus is to buy a laser printer vs a non b/c lasers are cheaper to refill, right?

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

super slow and many don't recommend it. i shipped a item to a family member and it took 60 days via usps priority and 55 of that was spent sitting in customs. when it did arrive at their city, finally, they were notified of an arbitrary ~R$37.15 tax with no backup as to how it was calculated. Only upside is normal priority tracking does work with their postal system "Correios."

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This is going to make my life a whole lot easier!

[​IMG]

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Technically if that shirt is not New it is illegal to ship it to Brazil. See the final prohibition on the USPS country page for Brazil.

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Watching the game as well I see...good man

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yeah, here's my hierarchy of watching things while working (things that are on during the day on a regular basis):

1. Soccer/Cycling/Hockey (depends on teams and which race is on)
    2. South Park or Family Guy
    3. Daily Show, Colbert Report
    4. American Pickers
    5. Storage Wars
    6. Pawn Stars
    7. Ancient Aliens
    8. Something DVD

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Meh...not bad I guess

1. Soccer
    2. Sport Center
    3. DirecTV music, if not my own playlists on laptop
    4. Recorded Duck Dynesty.
    5. Or Nothing.

I cannot wait for the world cup in a few months...still kicking rocks over having to cancel my plans to brazil this summer...
    Baby is due in June, that put a damper on those plans. Oh well, hopefully before my time ends, Brazil will host again and I can cheer for my team in their country.

Until then, I'll enjoy the Spain vs Italy coming up later.

Usually when Real Madrid tours during the summer I attend the games at the Rose Bowl. I highly recommend you go sometime.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

One of the highlights of my travels was going to a match at Tyncastle Stadium in Edinbugh to watch a Scottish Premier League game between Heart of Midlothian and Killmarnock FC. Such fun! Next time I find my way out that way, I'm going to try to at least see Hibernian play, or at least Rangers or Celtic.

Of course, I always love watching sports while traveling... I've also been to see the Red Sox, Dodgers, Rockies, Edmonton Oilers and Minnesota Vikings. Hopefully I'll be on the east coast when the European clubs are touring this summer... I'd love to see a proper side play! I've also seen the US Women's team, and the U23's from Mexico and Australia play. Oh, and I've been a San Jose Earthquakes' season ticket holder in the past. One of these days I'll get back to standing with the supporters!

18. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

1. Dota
    2. Starcraft
    3. Pokemon
    4. Lost

Football trumps all during Football season though. Background noise really helps me work a lot.

19. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

hey guys,
    I asked a question earlier in the thread and here's the follow up, but now there are more issues..
    so i had a buyer who purchased and received an item. i listed the description with measurements as well as the tagged size and stated a no return policy unless the item was grossly misrepresented. They wanted a refund because it didn't fit like a shirt similar to one they own. I kept communication clear between the buyer and myself and explained that i had a no return policy and specifically list the measurements because items may vary in size.

I believe wes recommended that i open a ticket with ebay to resolve because it ended up being buyers remorse. ebay gave them the refund and i was not liable as ebay stated.

before ebay made their decision and refunded the buyer, i let the buyer know that i asked ebay to assist in evaluating the issue because they had not responded over the weekend. i wanted to be as transparent to the buyer as i could so that he at least knew i was trying to help him through ebay. i check my feedback and now he has left negative feedback because he said this was a bad experience.

is it wrong for me to stick to my policy? i plan on asking ebay to review the communication and the feedback for removal. is this one guy basically going to kill my feedback because i wouldn't let him return something that i provided as much as i could for? i am just starting out and this is basically going to kill my feedback score.

20. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

As someone who accepts returns, I'd say to just opt in to eBay's hassle-free return program. It's annoying when something gets returned, but it will sell again and you don't have to worry about negative feedback, unless the buyer is truly an asshole. It sucks when you sell a high priced item and then wait 14 days after delivery before the money is truly yours, but the peace of mind is nice. You're doing things correctly by having eBay review communication and that's the best you can do now, but I'd recommend offering the return since you're new. Like others have said and will continue to say, even if you say no returns, you still are going to have moments where you'll have to accept returns because of eBay's policies.

1 person likes this.