Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You automatically get $100 insurance for Express but that's about it. Everything else cost a few bucks.

There is an insurance for International Priority, based on weight. Not sure how that works.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. grendel

grendel Senior member

Do you have a smart phone?

My eBay app for my iPhone pops up alert notifications for all of this stuff

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have an iPhone, but that is about the only notification I don't get. If I get out bid or win a normal auction, I get them. Maybe it is a setting somewhere,

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Cap'n is right. Like Grendel, I thought there was default insurance on priority mail items at one point in time, but USPS says not so; express mail only. I thought might try to sweet-talk them (or play hardball). Didn't work, though they did advise me of my rights to take a long walk off a short pier.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I think UPS covers up to $100 for all packages unless you purchase additional insurance.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

OMG I want to kill this a-hole.

Last week a guy won one of the Samuelsohn 50L suits I had listed. Another didn't sell and he made me an offer on that one too, I countered, and he accepted. At the same time he asked me about the return policy and I told him there would be a 10% restocking fee and return shipping was his responsibility.

Asking about the return policy should have been a red flag, but what could I do?

Anyway, he gets the suits and decides to return them because the armholes are too high. WTF? Complaints are usually the other way about arm holes, but whatever. I tell him to ship them back. He says okay and I can keep $25 out (10% would have been around $23.50). So I got them back yesterday and refunded them... The cheaper one I refunded 100% and the other I refunded 100% minus the $25. Then I opened the cancellation issue with eBay to get my final value fees refunded. He accepted the one I refunded 100% but denied the other. The reason? Here's the quote:

Quote:

Upon re checking the listing I did not see any mention of a restocking fee, as though there wasn't
    any. I have paid for the return shipping and would like the $25 refunded also.

WTF? We TALKED about this via eBay messages! You TOLD me to keep out $25!

Is there anything I can do? Will eBay customer service fix this? Shipping this out to him in a large flat rate box with insurance (since it was over $250) was almost $25. I really want to send this guy a big box of dog turds.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That sucks.

In my book you should be ok since he asked about it before hand, but ebay will most likely decide in his favor...have you updated the return policy on all your listings now? I put my return policy on a custom store page so it can be changed anytime for all the listings easily. Each listing has a link to that page. I guess technically I could even change it after the sale, but I'm sure ebay can see a record of that.

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Did the customer service thing for improper use of returns. Gah! eBay buyers!

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

More on my Vintage Tux saga....

Paypal granted the return and full refund upon delivery confirmation of the item.
    I received the suit yesterday.
    Problem is, I sent the suit out in my standard suit/jacket box which is13x10x4 with plenty of room to avoid heavy creasing and lapel damage.
    It was returned balled up in a 4x4x8 box. I have no idea how the heck he got it in there.

Anyway, I tried steaming it a bit and can't get the lapels to relax. I figure it is unsellable.

Chapter 3: Paypal Claim Appeal : Item not returned in original condition....

....to be continued....

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Listing is gone when I go to the link...went to your ebay completed listings, I see where it is clearly now.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

4x4x8 for a whole suit? :wow: What a total jackass. Shipping is billed in pound increments I believe for standard boxes, at least for priority, so it's not like a bigger box was going to cost him much if anything. Good luck...

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well there it is...my first neg feedback.

[​IMG]

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

"Words to make it sound expensive." [​IMG]

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

He still thinks Vintage means expensive and classy...not old. Thinking about sending him a dictionary, lol. I have a few lying around here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012