Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Wow, that's about as good as it gets in my book! A bit of honesty on a few strangers' part and you don't have to deal with returns. Congrats on all of that.

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yes. I'm not sure priority is insured by default anymore. I didn't buy it. So possibly not. But we'll see whether the item is actually damaged. Not going to get my knickers in a bunch just yet.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ran the numbers again, using a variety of scenarios, and wouldn't save much at all, and that assumes I am running full-bore every month. Thank you for the link.

I don't run out every month, just some months, and I fail to take full advantage of the free auction- and fixed-price listing offers when they do come around. Like now - for Sept 24 to 28 I was offered up to 5000 free fixed-price listings, and instead of busting ass and listing a lot, I only listed like 20 new things. I guess for me, there's not going to be any sure-fire way to save a ton, since I can't promise the 1-day turn-around. Best thing I did was get a scale and start printing postage at home, well as have USPS pick things up - huge money, time and gas saver. I think this weekend I will not thrift at all (gasp!) and concentrate on setting up listings for next month / clearing stuff out, and will try to be more selective in what I pick up in the future. Too much slag with low profit margin. Learned a lot the last few months! Thanks Cap.

4. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Lighting discussion brought up in the thrifting thread...

Here's some lighting tips: http://www.tabletopstudio.com/clothing_photography.html
    It involves getting some dedicated lights. They are handy if you do more than just some shots here and there for eBay though.

Here's the kit I use, though I have the version with the bag.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404508-REG/Impact_EX100A_2KII_EX100A_Two_Monolight_Kit.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also hang a shower curtain and put a bright light behind it to use as a softbox, and it's cheaper.
    That creates a wall-of-light with some very soft shadows. That's what I used for this shot. (A friend of mine who makes and sells costumes.)

[​IMG]

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Studio lights are kinda big and bulky to keep around, IMO. I prefer a flash bounced off the wall / ceiling.

6. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I do portrait photography so they were an easy choice for me, but there are definitely other ways to go about it. The drawback with flash is that all of the light comes from a single direction, but it can still work well and it's much more portable.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

What do you use for your background though? Its nice!

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's why I bounce off the ceiling / wall so it fills in around as well. Never point the flash directly at the subject.

9. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Heh, thanks. I'm cheating. I have a white shower curtain hanging behind the mannequin, but some wrinkles show up as as I don't have a third light on it to overexpose it right now. For the time being, I'm doing a magic wand select in Photoshop and then a quick gradient fill from top left (white) to bottom right (grey). If I had the background washed out, I could skip the select step or just leave it white.

For the other shots, I just have them laying on some poster board or white foam, depending.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

One thing that helps with the sharp edges is to click "refine edge" and feather it a little so that it looks smoother.

As for pictures, you could always just do as I've been doing -- throw the stuff on the floor, take some pics with your cell phone, and good to go :hide:

12. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

It's the shadows. If you play with the tolerance, you can get a decent edge on the parts that have a white or solid background, but shadows tend to look like crap when you have any kind of cut. In the case of the suit, I have it spaced away from the background and don't care if I cut off any shadows. For the shoes and pants on the white board, I just have the bright light wash it out to pure white. There is a little shadow left, but it's all natural without any need for a magic wand.

If you still want to magic wand and then cut out the shadow, you can use the other select tools to add or subtract from the selection manually, or, once you have the basic selection:

- create a new layer
    - Layer->Layer Mask->Hide Selection

You can then put a fill or gradient over the entire new layer and only the originally selected part will show through. Select the layer mask and use black or white to paint where you want the background to show through. That can sometimes be easier than messing with the selection, plus it's easy to go back and edit. I use a gradient layer in this manner, in case I notice a mistake in the original selection. I can just reload the PSD and paint in a correction on the mask.

Yeah, that can be a bit of work, but I tend to be a perfectionist about this kind of stuff. It slows me down, but I don't have a huge flow to get through. It's not bad once you have a process down.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I give you dudes a lot of respect. That's a TON of investment per listing. This is why I will never break into "the next level." I just don't have that kind of time...

14. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Well, you'll notice that I don't have a lot actually listed at the moment... Looking at my total intended-to-flip purchases, I'm not even out of the red yet, let alone raking in the cash, so I'm not a great example.

I don't work, and my energy level varies from day to day. Some days all I can do is just sit, and futzing on the computer occupies my attention a lot better than the TV.

I really enjoy photography, and this is a way for me to get back into it and have it be useful.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

New strategy - don't leave feedback unless/until the buyer does.

So far it appears to be working. At the very least, I haven't been receiving less feedback.