• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The amount I might loose out on is not worth the returns for me and not having a return policy has saved me at least 10 returns (mostly for stupid people they did not read the listing). You also do get a discount on the final value fee (10%-25%) I think, but that is saving me 1-2.5% on the auction so to offer returns for everyone, I save $1-$2.5 per $100 I sell. Not worth it IMO.

Wes might have better data then me... Spoo also has no returns so it can't hurt you THAT much lol

77 items left The S.E.A.M. Store tonight. Exhausted and off to get some zzzs. Will try to compile some data about my returns tomorrow.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I allow returns with a small restocking fee only because in my experience a no returns policy leads to negative feedback. My .5% negative feedback and two neutrals all follow the same story: Buyer doesn't read description or doesn't understand measurements, buyer want to return in spite of "no return" policy, bad feedback. And we all know that a buyer can always force returns with a full refund unless you have clear photos of every square inch of the item.

For me, the minor hassle of a return is better than the major hassles of negative feedback or having a return rammed down my throat.

If I am missing something here or if ebay has changed a policy without my noticing, let me know.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thrifty so I got a refurb model. I'm gonna miss my larger screen, but I will manage.

15" Intel i7 with Retina display.

Originally released February 2013
15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
720p FaceTime HD Camera
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Payment made at precisely 9:30 AM yesterday. Machine delivered at 9:47 AM today. That's just insane for free shipping. I've ordered Chinese food delivery that has taken longer than that.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payment made at precisely 9:30 AM yesterday. Machine delivered at 9:47 AM today. That's just insane for free shipping. I've ordered Chinese food delivery that has taken longer than that.

Nice!

I'm pondering a new MacBook Pro since mine is now 3.5 years old (4/2010). It's a bit long in the tooth... It especially annoys me that I cannot stream content from it through my AppleTV, and that Photoshop takes forever to process 18mp files from my camera.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I allow returns with a small restocking fee only because in my experience a no returns policy leads to negative feedback. My .5% negative feedback and two neutrals all follow the same story: Buyer doesn't read description or doesn't understand measurements, buyer want to return in spite of "no return" policy, bad feedback. And we all know that a buyer can always force returns with a full refund unless you have clear photos of every square inch of the item.

For me, the minor hassle of a return is better than the major hassles of negative feedback or having a return rammed down my throat.

If I am missing something here or if ebay has changed a policy without my noticing, let me know.
+1

Managed return program = minimal hassle.

Buyer starts return, you get notified.
Buyer prints label and ships, you get notified.
Item arrives, you get notified.
You check item out.
You click one button to refund item, with or without restocking fee.
Redirected immediately to relist page.

You don't even have to send a single message to the buyer. Love it.

Last edited:

Lirum

Reaction score
+1

You check item out.

Do I need a store for this? Sounds sick.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

You check item out.

has worked out well for me the one time it was initiated.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The amount I might loose out on is not worth the returns for me and not having a return policy has saved me at least 10 returns (mostly for stupid people they did not read the listing). You also do get a discount on the final value fee (10%-25%) I think, but that is saving me 1-2.5% on the auction so to offer returns for everyone, I save $1-$2.5 per $100 I sell. Not worth it IMO.

Wes might have better data then me... Spoo also has no returns so it can't hurt you THAT much lol

Ok, here are my numbers for the last 3 months.

First Top Rated Seller program deets...
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

The 20% discount on the final value fees is great. But you also get added savings on USPS shipping cost as well as preferred listing placement for your auctions.

July
Sales $ 8,484.30
Total Ebay Fees $1238.94
Top Rated Seller Discount $ 132.45
Number of Returns 4
Returns Value $ 221.12
# of Returns w/ restocking fee 4
Restocking fee value $ 22
+/- upon relisting +$123

August
Sales $10,943.48
Total Ebay Fees $1698.28
Top Rated Seller Discount $ 180.40
Number of Returns 9
Returns Value $ 680.03
# of Returns w/ restocking fee 8
Restocking fee value $ 63
+/- upon relisting +$ 26

September
Sales $12,171.25
Total Ebay Fees $1750.24
Top Rated Seller Discount $ 197.44
Number of Returns 13
Returns Value $ 797.77
# of Returns w/ restocking fee 13
Restocking fee value $ 80
+/- upon relisting +$ 76

In summary, in the last 3 months, by maintaining Top Rated Status and having a hassle free return policy I have saved/gained...

$735 not including the added shipping discounts, or even mentioning the added sales from buyers looking for peace of mind.
All but $10 of my original shipping and fees were at least covered by the restocking fees and fee reimbursement.

Approximately 2.3% of my total sales. (Brian was right on the money)

It really didn't require much more time either. Re-list with a click of a button. Re-ship when re-sold in the same packaging.

Last edited:

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fu: Just saw a buyer left me neutral feedback with comment "You paid less than I did?"

I sold her a pair of NIB Vans shoes that were too big for my wife and stupidly left the receipt in the box. I bought them for $15, sold them for $20 via OBO. After Ebay fees, Paypal fees and undercharging for shipping (which the buyer thought was still too expensive) I lost over $3 on them.

Just venting...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
Just saw a buyer left me neutral feedback with comment "You paid less than I did?"

I sold her a pair of NIB Vans shoes that were too big for my wife and stupidly left the receipt in the box. I bought them for $15, sold them for $20 via OBO. After Ebay fees, Paypal fees and undercharging for shipping (which the buyer thought was still too expensive) I lost over $3 on them.

Just venting...
What you paid is irrelevant. I am pissed for you. I suppose that should be my feedback for every single transaction I have ever done.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What you paid is irrelevant. I am pissed for you. I suppose that should be my feedback for every single transaction I have ever done.

Isn't leaving neutral or neg feedback based on the price grounds for removal? If not it should be - no one forced them to buy it...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, here are my numbers for the last 3 months.

First Top Rated Seller program deets...
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

The 20% discount on the final value fees is great. But you also get added savings on USPS shipping cost as well as preferred listing placement for your auctions.

July 
Sales                                        $ 8,484.30
Total Ebay Fees                           $1238.94
Top Rated Seller Discount             $ 132.45
Number of Returns                                  4
Returns Value                              $  221.12 
# of Returns w/ restocking fee                  4
Restocking fee value                            $ 22
+/- upon relisting                               +$123

August 
Sales                                        $10,943.48
Total Ebay Fees                           $1698.28
Top Rated Seller Discount             $ 180.40
Number of Returns                                   9
Returns Value                               $ 680.03  
# of Returns w/ restocking fee                  8
Restocking fee value                           $ 63
+/- upon relisting                              +$ 26

September        
Sales                                        $12,171.25
Total Ebay Fees                           $1750.24
Top Rated Seller Discount             $ 197.44 
Number of Returns                                13
Returns Value                              $ 797.77
# of Returns w/ restocking fee                13
Restocking fee value                           $ 80
+/- upon relisting                              +$ 76

In summary, in the last 3 months, by maintaining Top Rated Status and having a hassle free return policy I have saved/gained...

$735 not including the added shipping discounts, or even mentioning the added sales from buyers looking for peace of mind.
All but $10 of my original shipping and fees were at least covered by the restocking fees and fee reimbursement.

Approximately 2.3% of my total sales. (Brian was right on the money)

It really didn't require much more time either. Re-list with a click of a button. Re-ship when re-sold in the same packaging.

Can a buyer still leave negative feedback if they return an item? My fear would be that a buyer would be pissed about having to pay the restocking fee, and they'd leave negative feedback because of it.

I have tried to reach a middle ground by leaving the no returns, but including a clause in my terms that says something like "if you aren't 100% satisfied, please contact us prior to leaving feedback."

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can a buyer still leave negative feedback if they return an item? My fear would be that a buyer would be pissed about having to pay the restocking fee, and they'd leave negative feedback because of it.

I have tried to reach a middle ground by leaving the no returns, but including a clause in my terms that says something like "if you aren't 100% satisfied, please contact us prior to leaving feedback."
It is clearly stated, by ebay, on each of my listings.

However, if there is the least bit of resistance, I just do a 100% refund. It's a simple check box in the return window. Also, if the item was $500 or something, I'm not charging them $50 to return it. Really just enough to cover my original free shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads