Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Why the fuck should usps be on the hook for that? EBay sucks...

2. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Because of course all buyers and sellers are honest and it HAS to be USPS's fault in between sender and receiver.

3. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Is this an illustration of a reason (s**ty, or otherwise) to just accept returns as a matter of course? Either silently, i.e., without stating explicitly that you accept returns, or with an explicit return policy and appropriate restocking fee.

In the situation @easye described above, the buyer was pissed because he didn't get the result he wanted. So he leveraged (cheated) the eBay system to get it. In the meanwhile, he ruined @easye's chances of making a sale.

It's not really a question of who's right or wrong, because it's obviously the buyer is in the wrong. But the system isn't set up that way. For the sake of one's blood pressure alone, sometimes it's more important to get what you want than to be in the right.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

The option is still there but if you "win" the case you might get your feedback removed if the buyer left you neg feedback, BUT ebay use to actually refund you the money. They no longer refund you the money if you win the "item returned damaged" case. I was told that due to it being a "nice service" they offered in kind to sellers that it was not updated in the TOS agreement but they quietly stopped sending refunds for that type of case. just an FYI.

Its not that USPS should be on the hook its that ebay says they are no long going to cover you even if the item is returned damaged and they find the buyer at fault. Their suggestion (to protect yourself) is to purchase insurance in case the item "is damaged in transit"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, so they are suggesting we should commit mail fraud. Ok. I get it.

6. Brianpore

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No worries, my gun is not loaded. I missed the part where the item was damaged when it arrived. I thought it was undisclosed damage the buyer was lying about.

8. Brianpore

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So to purchase insurance to cover damaged goods during transit one must add on extra insurance if shipping priority mail? Priority up to 100$ comes with insurance correct? Now, does that included insurance only cover lost goods during transit, or can it be used to file a claim for damaged during transit?

I just need to know if we need to take an extra step during this process or just continue to ADD ship coverage insurance when the purchase is over 100$ ?

10. Brianpore

Good question, need to ask post office, dont know if the insurance they provide covers damage or not (I would think it does, but who knows). I'm not changing the way I do business due to this (never had an item returned different, and try to limit returns as it is).

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Do you feel you lose out on publicity via eBay for not offering a return policy? I have not noticed, but forget if that is also part of a discount offered with eBay as well...

12. Brianpore

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I've dealt with 3 returns thus far. All went smooth, and all sold for. Bit more than te original price. But at the end of the day, I would much rather not deal with them. Even for a few extra 10-15$. At this point, I don't do nearly as much business as others to warrant a no return policy and still have that affect me positively. But when really thinking about it, if I build this business with a return policy, I cannot forgo it down the road lol.

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I've been accepting returns but need to look into the regulations a little more closely, out of the last 4, only 1 has provided me with the tracking number...since that is a requirement, I'm not sure what happens if I claim I never received it. I also charge a 10% restocking fee, and usually end up coming ok on them.

The best one was a sport coat I sold for 12.99, guy paid 8.95 to ship it to him, and 7 something to return it, he paid more to try it on than the jacket sold for.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I've been accepting returns since early September and have only had one. As long as people aren't screwing me over by swapping items or such, I don't mind relisting stuff. It's good customer service... I'd much rather have happy customers than stick someone with something they don't want.