• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yep...had an item arrive to me damaged, torn right through the mylar envelope. That won't happen with one of my boxed shipments. Side note....I rarely deal with shirts (since I despise ironing).

If you're paying an average of $8 to ship a shirt, you're losing money this way. It costs me roughly $3 per shirt, give or take a little depending on the final weight. Even if 1 in 100 shirts were to arrive damaged (which hasn't been the case) and you had to refund, you still come out ahead. From a customer service perspective, you may still prefer your method, but from a purely financial perspective, envelopes are the way to go. If you're really worried about the bag getting torn, use a tyvek bag instead of the cheap poly ones. Tyvek is pretty tough to rip and still far less than a box.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even dress shirts
puzzled.gif

Not sure how you're shipping. Once you are over 1lb (1lb 1oz) the priority mail and regional rate A cross country are the same price. Over 2 lbs regional rate is cheaper for box A (95% how I ship stuff over 1 lb). I guess there is a sweet spot between 13oz and 16oz where priority is cheaper then regional rate, but not sure if I have anything that falls into that black hole weight wise.

I fold and then wrap everything (in items not to be named
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
) then they go inside a poly bag, envelope, or box.

How much does it cost to ship a 2-3 lb package with a suit? I pay $6-7 with a regular priority box. Don't think they'd fit in a small flat rate or regional A, and medium flat rate or regional B cost more ($10+)

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you ship everything really close by, there's no way it's that cheap. Brian is right about the rates. Regional rate A is equal to a 1lb-1lb15oz priority mail package, and over 2lb regional rate A is cheaper.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: hmmm, not sure how you are shipping it that cheap cross country as priority mail is based on weight and distance.

Shipping from NJ to NJ 2.8 lb box (yes, you could save 66 cents shipping priority vs regional rate, if you go to 3+ lbs regional rate is cheaper) - Once you get out of your "zone" close by then you lose the 66 cent savings and regional rate is cheaper as well.

Here you have the same box shipped from NJ to CA (here I would just use the Medium flat rate box and save $2)

I would say 90-95% of the time Regional Rate is going to to be the cheapest and best way to ship if the item is over 13 oz. There are exceptions to every rule, like a large coat that will not fit in a flat rate box or shoes (they don't make a good flat rate/regional rate box for shoes).​

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Shipping from NJ to NJ 2.8 lb box (yes, you could save 66 cents shipping priority vs regional rate, if you go to 3+ lbs regional rate is cheaper) - Once you get out of your "zone" close by then you lose the 66 cent savings and regional rate is cheaper as well.
Actually, still $.20 cheaper ;)

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote:
How's it 20 cents cheaper
puzzled.gif
$5.90-$5.24 = 66 cents. No way your fitting a larger suit into a regional rate A box which is where I assume you are getting the 20 cent difference from. You would have to use a regional rate B box which is 66 cents more
fing02[1].gif

Still not sure how he's shipping a suit cross country for $6-7 though....

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I was looking at the A rate. I've never used a B box :D Suit can't go in a rate A? Pants in a poly bag, jacket in a poly bag, slide the two bags into the box.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Yea, I was looking at the A rate. I've never used a B box
biggrin.gif
Suit can't go in a rate A? Pants in a poly bag, jacket in a poly bag, slide the two bags into the box.
They 'can' but its a damn tight fit and if I'm shipping an expensive suit I'd rather pay the extra few dollars and have it show up not looking like I shoved it in the smallest/cheapest box I could find. I **** Sport Coats in box A and suits (unless a super small suit or very light weight summer suit) in box B or medium flat rate box, whichever is cheaper.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They 'can' but its a damn tight fit and if I'm shipping an expensive suit I'd rather pay the extra few dollars and have it show up not looking like I shoved it in the smallest/cheapest box I could find. I **** Sport Coats in box A and suits (unless a super small suit or very light weight summer suit) in box B or medium flat rate box, whichever is cheaper.

Note to self: Don't buy sport coat or suit from Brian.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics