• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saying, but when money is as cheap as it has been, there are better options than paying off a mortgage, especially while mortgage tax relief exists.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just saying, but when money is as cheap as it has been, there are better options than paying off a mortgage, especially while mortgage tax relief exists.
No worries, I have plenty of other write offs, deductions and charitable contributions. I'd rather just not pay the mortgage every month.....especially the ******* interest. I will be saving nearly $240K worth of interest

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
I actually like packing items.
uhoh.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fantastic achievement, for sure, Wes, but my point is that with rates at <4% that 3k per month could be used to generate much greater than 4% returns, and thus would be a better use of extra cash than paying down your mortgage faster. A managed account with fidelity or vanguard could easily achieve 8% return.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fantastic achievement, for sure, Wes, but my point is that with rates at <4% that 3k per month could be used to generate much greater than 4% returns, and thus would be a better use of extra cash than paying down your mortgage faster. A managed account with fidelity or vanguard could easily achieve 8% return.

Easily?

I agree with Mr. Seajen that pre-paying the mortgage at that rate is probably not the optimal use of funds, but a managed account is definitely not the investment advice I would give. ETFs are the thrifty investment choice.

Also, I would imagine Wes would do well as a landlord, given his home fixing skills and insane work ethic.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She also does all the measuring.

And the money.

smile.gif

Not sure, but I do know she enjoys the roof over our heads.
I would love to have my wife involved in the eBay selling experience, but its so hard with both our day jobs being such a demanding career and our daughter to look after. I hardly find hours to do the bare minimum.

Easily?

I agree with Mr. Seajen that pre-paying the mortgage at that rate is probably not the optimal use of funds, but a managed account is definitely not the investment advice I would give. ETFs are the thrifty investment choice.

Also, I would imagine Wes would do well as a landlord, given his home fixing skills and insane work ethic.
In Wes's defense, we don't know what his interest rate is on his house, given he could have purchased it during the 6-8% interest rate...in which I agree to pay off the house ASAP. On top of that, he does invest already in other areas, why not invest in land by owning it outright. Either way, all this talk about these achievements pushes me to get movin on what inventory I have sitting at home and get it up ASAP.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting it as advice, merely an example of investment returns that outstrip the cost of money. I thought about mentioning real estate too, but thought that would sound more like advice and since I don't know anything about the rental market in his region, it wouldn't be useful advice.

I would certainly hope that if Wes did have a 6% mortgage, he refi'd it, even if he does plan to pay it off in 4 years. Indeed, if that is the plan, why even have a 30yr mortgage at all?

I do want to say though, that the fact that this is even a discussion topic speaks to great achievement through hard work and dedication. What Spoo, Wes, Brian, and others here achieve is most certainly inspirational. Kudos, guys.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting it as advise, merely an example of investment returns that outstrip the cost of money. I thought about mentioning real estate too, but thought that would sound more like advice and since I don't know anything about the rental market in his region, it wouldn't be useful advice.

I would certainly hope that if Wes did have a 6% mortgage, he refi'd it, even if he does plan to pay it off in 4 years. Indeed, if that is the plan, why even have a 30yr mortgage at all?

I do want to say though, that the fact that this is even a discussion topic speaks to great achievement through hard work and dedication. What Spoo, Wes, Brian, and others here achieve is most certainly inspirational. Kudos, guys.
We did refi....in January I think...maybe Feb. It was a bear to get it all put through and we had a lot of hurdles which were probably unnecessary. The big hold up was the bank we were taking our business away from. They put the breaks on everywhere they could. It took a nice letter to the BBB for them to finally start cooperating. We almost missed the lock on the rate after 2 extensions. Anyway, in the rush, we took the easiest option of 30 year term.

I pay all of my bills off as fast as possible to avoid interest, I absolutely abhor interest of any percentage. It became a problem in our mortgage refi when I paid off two of my student loans and another two smaller credit card balances. You'd have thought I robbed a bank or something. I had to jump through hoops to show the money was my money and that I paid it myself. All the time they would not consider my ebay sales as income. Even after I explained several times that it was claimed on my taxes and it paid more than my real job.

Financial people suck!
peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads