1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What did you read? They told me on the phone a while back during my monthly support call.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I've been preferring the BIN OBO because of the "set it and forget it" feeling. My home / work life limit eBay at this moment, and knowing I don't have to relist half my auctions every week gives me breathing room. Also allows me to focus on new listings while the others sit there. What I've implemented to release some older listings is a store SALE. I'll usually mark down certain items 20-30 percent, and wait for em to leave. Its still a profit in my book, its always substantial enough to warrant the sale.

But hearing others approach is still good advice. When I can get into eBay full time, I certainly will implement a mixture of listings, once I feel I have a decent following if users to view these 10 days auctions and make the most of em.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm planning to tinker with it a bit, but for now, shirts are mostly starting at $14.99 (this is 1.5-2X my purchase price). Other things, I'm starting at about the same price point with relation to what I paid. It has to be enough to make it worth my time even if I only get one bid. A lot of the stuff I have up has been languishing on Ebay for months with multiple watchers. I'm hoping that by moving to auction, I can get rid of some of this crap inventory. Come tomorrow night, I'll have probably 280+ items on Ebay.

For REALLY hot items, I might start at 99 cents with a reserve; or start high and see what happens (I'm starting the Fryes at $49.99).

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I hate reserves with a passion and absolutely refuse to bid on any auction that has one nowadays. I much prefer someone to start it with a higher starting bid that at least I know I have a chance of winning. When I first started on eBay, I bid $50 on a pair of pants to find out the guy had a reserve of $60 than after the auction ended without meeting the minimum he offered them to me at the lower price. I refused mainly because I was butt hurt about putting a good bid out and getting it rejected by a reserve. This happened several times, and since than I haven't bid on an item with a reserve.

This is why I love Spoo's auctions, I know I can win stuff for 9.99. It has even happened a couple of times, but it also encourages me to place lots of bids. If you look at my history, I probably bid on 10 - 15 items every week of Spoo's. I have only won 2 items so far but not for lack of trying. I am also not just sniping cheap stuff (although that comes into play), since I am looking for bargains sometimes I find things I really want like a Dsquared jacket for my wife that I put a large bid on but was way under the ending bid. Usually I am too cheap to pay what is required to win them but because I know it is possible I could win it; I bid.This raises the price on many auctions for Spoo because there are a lot of other people out there with the same idea but a less tight fist on their money.

1 person likes this.
  6. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

^^+1
    Another big pro in BIN vs. auction is that you get 30 days and you only have 50 free listings you can have 50 items listed the entire month for free.
    When I have something good that I know will get good bids I like to start it at a low auction to attract customers, and I have in my description Please see my other... etc.
    and this brings in more views.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I also hate reserve prices. But I'm not willing to lose money on stuff either. I'd rather relist than lose $50 on a high ticket item. Maybe it is better to just start the auctions higher...

I haven't used a reserve on an auction for over a year, and I might not do it. I'm still figuring out my scheme. Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly keep your view in mind.

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

That was just my view BTW, I didn't mean to be an ass or anything. I agree don't lose money, I don't know how many schmucks who start their auctions at .99 with no reserve screw themselves. I have bought quite a few items that didn't get many bids than the seller wouldn't send because he was taking a huge loss. I always told them not my problem, and what I won it for isn't necessarily what I bid. 3 times I have won cases and left negative feedback from this, so +1000 make sure your opening price is enough so you don't lose money (plus shipping).

I really appreciate that you guys are sharing this, it is like reading a book on eBay as the writer is writing it. We get to see your mistakes and triumphs as they happen.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sometimes you win too... I was pondering creating a sale through tomorrow night. I decided to put it off until later. By the time I got to the post office, I had two sales totaling $165. I almost lost $41!

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Interesting situation - I sold a pair of jeans to a guy last week. He asked a bunch of questions, I answered, he put in a BO and I accepted.

They were delivered this morning, a few hours later, he gives me positive feedback. Then this afternoon, I get two messages in quick succession, first one saying "I knew this was too good to be true," and saying how the standard inseam on these jeans was 34 and these are 31, and asking if they'd been altered. Then a few minutes later, I get a message saying that he's demanding a refund saying that everyone knows these jeans come with a 34 inch inseam, and saying that clearly I was selling them so cheap because I was hiding the fact that they were altered.

Meanwhile, in the item description I clearly list the measurements (as 30.5), both in the drop-down box and below where I can type them in.

What's my liability here? He's already left me positive feedback, so I guess that's not a concern, and I agreed to give him a refund less 10% restocking as is my policy. Can he still open a case? How badly is this going to backfire on me?

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

From my experience you are fine. If you want t offer him a refund as thats your policy then thats all you have to do. He cant change the feedback, if he opens a case, call ebay and explain the situation and you should win if you in fact listed the correct measurement and he confirmed it via ebay messages. Add him to your blocked bidder list (and ebay black list) and thats about it.

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I already have one of those so let me know if it works. I think it will take a label that's almost 3 x 6

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I sold a Sir Pendleton NWT shirt for the BIN price of $66.

[​IMG]
    I had picked this up as part of a 23 item purchase at an estate sale.

Buyer gets it and send me a photo showing two holes in the shirt on the back. I respond to his email and tell him I'll refund his money and email him a label to print and send the shirt back. When I got back to a large screen, there was no point in the return because of the size of the holes so I followed some advice here and just asked him to donate the shirt.

After 2 rounds of him trying to initiate a return on ebay that wouldn't charge the restocking fee, he messaged me that it was not working. I went to paypal and refunded his money. (I was trying to use the return process to get fees back). Because he was frustrated, I was worried about his feedback.

I had a stack of woolrich fishing shirts, also new that had hadn't paid much for so for $10 in shirt and shipping, I sent him a long sleeve white fishing shirt at my expense with a note explaining how I was disappointed that the shirt wasn't what I expected it to be. (it had never been worn and I never unpinned it)

Got his feedback today.

"Customer service 2nd to none."

Phew. ....I post this as I handled this very differently than I would have without following this thread the last 6 months and it paid off. From Wes saying on some items its better to just have them re-donate the item, to Spoo talking about throwing a fiver in a package when he discovered a problem but the buyer still wanted it........

I may have gone overboard with sending him the free shirt, but for $10, it was worth it to me starting a store to try to make the bad situation into a good one.

Now hopefully, he'll buy something else and I can make back some of my expense.

4 people like this.
  14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^ my bet is he will be a return customer again and again.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

I for one, think im really successful.

3 people like this.
  16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I was thinking the same thing....but apparently success is in the eye of the beholder.

1 person likes this.
  17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Well if I may chime in, I for one think all 3 of you are successful. Booya!

Keep on pimpin pimpin.

1 person likes this.
  18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Did no one notice the highlight and italic? Is irony dead? [​IMG]

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

lol

i guess i need a cocktail

20. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]