1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sales, returns, expenses. Receipts for errythang. gas, food, inventory, labels, shipping, usps receipts, etc.

2. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I was in a similar spot twice in the past month. In both of my cases I ended up getting the items. In one case it was a full month from auction close to receiving the goods. Zero response to messages until after I received the items. It was very frustrating, as you must know.

I don't know of any recourse, other than negative feedback. If a seller claims the item is lost, EBay has no way of verifying it. Even if the seller were to relist the item in the future, he could always just claim to have "found" it.

3. BlackChiney8

BlackChiney8 Well-Known Member

You're right. I would believe it would be better to cut my losses and make attempts to get my money back since the seller has gone incognito. I have sold things as well and have taken losses but it was all in honoring the contract and being ethical about my sales. Not to beat a dead horse but put a reserve on the item if you're afraid of taking a loss!

4. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

uh oh ...

5. BlackChiney8

BlackChiney8 Well-Known Member

He also sold a navy Canali sport coat that went for $15. So let's see how this guys feedback will fare in the near future.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

share the seller? [​IMG]

feel to send a PM [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

To clarify this...

You don't need to track gas, food, portion of rent for home office, etc unless you are planning to claim deductions on your taxes.

My records for this year include sales returns, expenses, labels, shipping, etc. The rest will wait until next year.

If you're going to get serious, serious do track EVERYTHING! For 2014, I'm going to be switching to an automated system (Quicken or similar) to track expenses, income, etc.... I need to maximize what I can write off and really see how my business is going. It's a bit of a clusterf**k right now...

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Make your listings stand out! I know one of these did...

[​IMG]

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

How detailed are you on USPS receipts or thrift receipts, as usually the receipt just reads "men's shirt" or something?

I will file all my eBay income and have all my receipts from this year and a detailed spreadsheet of item sold, shipping/thrift costs on each item and my net profit, but am wondering if that will be enough.

I'm not too stressed as my sales aren't anywhere near 20k but would like to do better with my audit trail next year.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Actually the ones that catch my eye the most are the J Crew on top. They are straight sexay.

1 person likes this.
  13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Taxes: Are we required to file the quarterly estimates or can we just wait until year end?

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That, I would like to know as well. I have been doing year end stuff this whole time. Now my income is so high I think i need to do a switch.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Regarding the 1099 is there any way to justify personal sales? I sell a ton of shoes I don't wear or only wore a few times and were not purchased with the intent to flip. I have them separated on excel but how does one prove this?

Also same deal with some other bigger ticket clothing items. I shouldn't have to pay taxes on this stuff?

I'd say half of stuff was sold for profit, 25% even and 25% loss. So it wouldn't make sense to include in taxes?

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You'd have a hard time proving it, unless you kept the original receipts.

17. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I have all receipts and all shoes / clothes are in my size. Any ideas on how to prove?

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Isn't the burden of proof on the IRS in that case? If you keep detailed records of all your flips, but sell a few items at a loss, it seems to me you'll be okay as long as you have tracked the actual purchase price.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

They are indeed, but I was referring to the listings themselves.

My saved search is just for Alden 9.5. You know, just trolling for bargains that are sold by unknowing sellers. This is how I scored 1/3 price on the hottest running shoes on the market.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Good. You can itemize it out of your business expenses/income. Or you can include it showing it as a loss which will decrease the income you are being taxed on.