Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's been a long time since I made the switch, so I don't have any numerical data, but I can tell you I saw a marked increase in sales. This is partly due to the fact that if you meet Top Rated Seller criteria, eBay gives you better listing search placement.....and a nice little discount each month on some of the fees.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have one of these. Works like a dream! Found it accidentally at Hobby Lobby about a month ago. It is hard to keep track of if you set it down somewhere, so I keep mine in a sleeve on the handle of my seam ripper.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I made no attempt to determine whether it increased sales. If sales increased then it was by a very small amount which was washed out by normal seasonal fluctuations. I have been happy to observe that returns have not increased by a great deal.

My reason for allowing returns was to avoid the negative or neutral feedback from the occasional dipshit who orders by labeled size and doesn't understand measurements. It has been successful in that regard. I charge a small ($10) restocking fee.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

That is the workroom of a very disturbed mind... If you were anymore organized I would vomit. My area looks like it should be on an episode of Hoarders. [​IMG]

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I tried that for a short while and it didn't work out. Only about half of the packaging turned out to be correct. International orders, multiple item orders, East Coast vs West Coast needing different Priority Mail boxes, etc.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

How many listings are we talking? I have about 425 listings at time and it seems it would take me a long time to find the right package that way.

How I do it....
    When an item gets a bid, I pull it to a separate "sale pending" rack. Once it's paid it's packed and shipped. I have a lot of buyers that buy 3 and 4 items at a time, so I would have to unbox and rebox those items.

Have been considering (for the somewhat distant future) buying and moving my set up into an old drycleaning place and using the automated hanging rack for inventory browsing.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

:worship:

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just a pipe dream really at this point....but it would be pretty sweet. Actually I'd rather have one of those machines at my house, but I can't imagine what dismantling and assembly would be like. They have to be crazy expensive too. I do actually have enough room for one.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That is straight Gangster if you move into an old dry cleaning business...do it

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

There is one down the road, maybe a mile, that has been closed for a few years. It was practically new when it went out of business.

12. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Tweed pop-up shop FTW.

[​IMG]

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

So far so good... It's been a week or so. Sales are still slowish, but when I switched there was a marked increase. No returns as of yet (knocks on wood).

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1 :slayer:

15. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

On the subject of returns (although technically not one since I had yet to ship), here's what I got from a buyer yesterday. I guess he's also prohibited from watching The Masters.

Good afternoon,

If it is possible, I would like to cancel this transaction before the item ships. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. I was not aware that my wife's stepfather passed away while wearing a green colored suit. Unfortunately, I did not realize that this was the situation until I showed my wife the suit I purchased. If there is anything that can be done, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I sincerely apologize for this situation.