1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I get the 150 free listings on the first day of each month.

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Durn. Time to pay the piper.

Thanks.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Sporadically - last one I got for 100,000 free listings was Oct 27th and good for 5 days. Aside from the free ones everyone gets, the special offers pop up without warning.

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

5. TheNeedMachine

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sure, send 'em over... Might as well give Spoo some competition. [​IMG]

8. TheNeedMachine

9. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Thanks for posting that. After reading it and playing around with the numbers in ebay shipping for a suit I just sold, I have a much better idea of how much money the regional rates can save and at what weight thresholds the savings kick in.

Interestingly, or maybe not depending on your viewpoint, Regional B wouldn't have saved anything over the regular Large Package rate because ebay discounted the Large Package rate at a much higher percentage. Based on ship weight of 3 lbs 4 oz, for Large Package: $14.05 minus 21% ebay discount = $11.16. For Regional B: $11.91 minus 6% ebay discount = $11.16.
    The suit was a larger size and I felt uneasy about cramming it into a Regional A box, and Regional B wouldn't have saved me anything so I just used a 1095 box.

What may also be interesting is that the ebay shipping discount % on the Regional rate seems to vary based on weight. For that 3 lb 4 oz box, there was only a 6% discount on the Regional B rate. If I change the weight to 4 lbs 4 oz (the above guide says the threshold for Regional B savings is 4 lbs) the ebay discount jumps to 19%. It's like the ebay shipping function "knows" the weight thresholds where regional rate savings kick in, and adjusts the discount % accordingly.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

And I owe it to brianpore.

The switch will likely save me about $8000 on shipping this year. Since I do free shipping, that is extra money in my pocket.

3 people like this.
  11. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

How do you guys decide on what to list your jacket size as? If the chest on a jacket measures 46", what would you put in the title listing? If it was 40 years old would that title change?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it measures 46" it's a size 44 jacket. If it's 40 years old it's a size 44 disco jacket.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry fellas I totally missed the reminder on turning the clocks back. Guess my late ass listings will be ok after all. :slayer:

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

How often do you guys get people wanting to complete a transaction outside of eBay? I've had a number of people contact me about that recently, and quite a few have gotten uppity when I say no thanks.

16. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I had a package come back a couple of days ago. I shipped it using the ebay generated label to the address on file. The post office explanation was "insufficient address" and "needs PO Box".

I emailed the buyer and asked if her address was accurate but she hasn't replied to my email.

Any suggestions? Call ebay? go visit the post office and ask them WTF?

I can google the address and it comes up on the map.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

USPS lost a package from me this week. I've no clue what happened. It comes up "Undeliverable as addressed" on tracking... I opened a cancel transaction case. I hope the buyer doesn't go apeshit on me...

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Just me, but I would talk with the buyer before just opening a cancel transaction case...

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

We've been going back and forth for a week. I'd already told him that I would cancel the transaction if I didn't get ghe package back by Friday. I also told him that if I do get it back, I will relist it and give him first crack at it.

20. stevent

stevent Senior member

I had one of these recently, the buyer didn't update address and mail forwarding had expired. Ended up losing a bit as shipping cost was more the first time than I expected. Buyer repaid to ship though