• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I third the black. I have the same problem with blacks/navy blues, so I always take the item outdoors in the sunshine with another item I know to be black, and compare side-by-side that way. Also, navy blue with a purple stripe doesn't sound like a common combination except in pimp suits (though, it is D&G so who knows)...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a best offer, after the person had made two offers minutes before that were automatically declined. I accepted the best offer, then got a message saying it was awaiting the buyer's confirmation. I thought "Huh, in the past it was considered sold when I accepted the best offer. Did eBay change their policy to now give the person an out?"

Self-quoting because I figured this out - the new "eBay Offers Beta" allows you to accept multiple best offers and the item remains for sale until someone confirms/pays for it. I don't know what "confirms" means or how that differs from actually paying for it. Anyway, makes sense now.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So just because someone submits an offer and you accept it, it's not actually sold? That's some bullshit... I understand the idea, but why wouldn't buyers just spam low ball offers on everything now?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just forces them to pay for it. That way you don't except an offer and wait weeks for the buyer to fall off the face of the earth and never pay. Works pretty nicely. I actually had one instance where I accepted an offer of $20 on a pair of cuff links. Then about an hour later someone came in and did the full BIN on the same pair before the original buyer had confirmed and paid.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
So just because someone submits an offer and you accept it, it's not actually sold? That's some bullshit... I understand the idea, but why wouldn't buyers just spam low ball offers on everything now?
Same reason they do/dont spam low ball offer now. Not really sure how this changes anything except pushing people to pay for items faster and reducing the time for the unpaid item reminder/cancel transcation/relist process.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Because an offer was a commitment to buy. There's no reason to make them confirm twice. The only reason it may work better is because ebay is broken already.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it works that way in jewelry i think ebay s trying to expand it to clothing, its not so bad if you think about it, it keeps pressure for other buyers, and avoids the whole non paying bidder routine that drags on for a week

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because an offer was a commitment to buy. There's no reason to make them confirm twice. The only reason it may work better is because ebay is broken already.
Right, but this leaves the item available until payment is made, just as in BIN situation. Trying to put an end to the buyers who don't understand that a "commitment to buy" means they actually have to pay for the item.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not saying it doesn't work... I'm just sad that it's needed :(

ScottW

Reaction score
I'm finally listing a bunch of stuff. Props to you big time sellers. This is a ton of work.

Apparently I hadn't accepted the revised user agreement that was effective July 1. In accepting the agreement I was automatically enrolled in the GSP, which of course I don't want to be. I immediately went into my preferences to opt out, but it says I have to wait 24 hours since I just opted in by accepting the entire user agreement. Arrrgh. So my question is... if I upload a bunch of auctions tonight (while I'm allegedly opted into the GSP) will my opting out of GSP tomorrow be reflected in those listings such that I won't have to use GSP when those auctions close 10 days from now? Or does it not really matter because buyers will be less likely to choose it? I did also offer more traditional international shipping methods in the listings.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Brooks Brothers blazer that doesn't have shoulder padding, but is lined and half-canvassed, made of a wool-alpaca blend...so it's not really fully unstructured like, say, a cotton or linen casual blazer would be. Would it still be referred to as "unstructured", or something else like semi-structured? Wondering how to describe it for eBay...

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Brooks Brothers blazer that doesn't have shoulder padding, but is lined and half-canvassed, made of a wool-alpaca blend...so it's not really fully unstructured like, say, a cotton or linen casual blazer would be. Would it still be referred to as "unstructured", or something else like semi-structured? Wondering how to describe it for eBay...
If it were my listing, it would say....

Fully Lined, Half Canvassed Jacket with Natural Shoulder.

Though I tend to stay away from "Half Canvassed" unless it's a line I know is actually half canvassed, since it is impossible to know for sure unless you deconstruct the chest of the jacket.

Last edited:

marc roberto

Reaction score
^^+1 like that "natural shoulder" idea^^
Is there any e-bay market for tuxedo jackets without the pants and if you have sold one, did it sit around for a long time before selling? I have an older Zegna tux jacket that is pretty standard. No vents, single button front (thank you scavenger hunt).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads