1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Wired is -ALWAYS- better than WiFi. Depending on distance you can lose up to half your speed because of Wireless. If you can run a cable to your router and computer I always suggest you do it. More stable, faster, and less of a headache in the long run.

2. ScottW

ScottW Well-Known Member

As long as you are running a modern g or n router and getting a decent signal on that fancy new macbook, your wifi is probably fine. If you're running an antiquated b router, definitely get a new one. Otherwise, for the vast majority of people, your ISP's speed is the rate limiting factor. Wifi g runs around 54 Mbps and n is something like 300 or 400 Mbps. If you check your home internet connection on speedtest.net you will probably find it considerably slower than 50 Mbps. You can shut off the wifi, hook up an ethernet cable and run the test again, and in all likelihood you will see no significant difference. Wired/wifi made no difference when I tested it, and my ISP speeds top out around 18 Mbps down on a good day, and a dogshit slow 0.3 Mbps up.

2 people like this.
  3. JackFlash

JackFlash Well-Known Member

+1

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

This is true. Wifi has pretty much caught up with wired (if you have a stable, decent provider and decent router), and with the new gigabit networks and gigabit routers slowly making their way into the mainstream, wired internet will probably go the way of the dodo, except for special circumstances.

5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Wow, I finally got my label printer setup so I can use the Ebay/Paypal shipping label generator... I think I saved ~$4 per package on shipping costs today. That's $16 for today! This thing's going to pay for itself in no time!

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Wait, what? How does that work?

7. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

He probably went to the post office to buy postage. EBay is considerably cheaper to buy shipping from.

8. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

I checked your listings. Not that I doubted you, but the first one posted at :14 and the last at :06 if I read it right. that's crazy long, but I've never had that many listings.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GarageSale_Users/info

The link is to the GarageSale users group and the software writers are regularly online and answer questions.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Did you get one of them there thermal printers with the peel & stick labels?! That's what I want - maybe Santa will bring me one.

As of now, I print them out one-at-a-time on a regular printer (using up paper & ink), then cut them out and tape them to the package (using up time). Not sure how much those thermal printers cost, nor supplies, nor what brands/models to even start looking at... I was already using eBay / Paypal postage, but still costs a lot for ink, and these HP inkjet printers are pretty much disposable - I have to buy a new one every year or so.

10. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

The ones at :14 were the ones I did via eBay website. The ones around :06 were the garage sale ones. I sent the :14 set live the same time I started the GS upload.

Talked to customer service today. They said that is normal. I will have to send them through to the eBay scheduler if I want consistency. No problem. That's just what I'll do.

11. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I only had 125 this week but yeah. I've had to pull some overtime at work lately that has cut into my eBay listing time.

12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I did. Along with rolls of label and a reusable core. I highly recommend getting one that prints wider than 2.5 inches. With mine, I have to import the PDF to Illustrator, change the canvas the 2.4 inches and print from there. It takes an extra minute or two. Still better than what I had been doing!

13. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

I order the customs envelopes from USPS that are self sticky and you just slide the label in there...not sure the legality as a lot of time I'm not stuffing a customs form in there but they haven't complained and I've went thru at least 200 of them. I've also grabbed the fedex sticky envelopes from work and used them, but they are a little big.

14. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

Which size do you guys use for the title in pants, shirts, etc? Tagged or measured? Are suits/SCs different?

15. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

I always go with measured.

16. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Talk about a timely question. I sold a pair of pants last week that were tagged 32/32 but measured 34/34. I clearly identified this in the listing, and in the headline said they were 34/34. Buyer just opened a case complaining that the pants were tagged 32/32 and asking me to send pants that are 34/34 or a full refund.[​IMG]

Between this and a multitude of inane questions, I'm getting really tired of ebay. Anyone want to sell 200+ ties,40+ shirts, 50+ pants, and several dozen suits and sportcoats for me?

(kidding about that last bit... mostly)

17. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

I had a question last week on a suit I had in the title as a 44 and then had a picture of the tag as a 42 and some guy couldn't understand why it was listed as a 44. (p2p was 23.25")

I spelled out in bold big letters "SUIT IS TAGGED 42, BUT MEASURES AS A 44. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS, PLEASE DON'T BID"

You can't win with Ebay buyers, I think on weird items like that I'm going to put no returns.

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I go with tagged, but I clearly state when it differs in the description.

19. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Last I read, saying something like "please do not bid" under some condition can get a listing ended by eBay.

Also, you can say no returns, but you'll still have to take returns.

20. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

When do you guys get those promotional offers? By that I mean what time of the month.

I was getting 25 free Buy it nows per month. I looked in my account this morning and I have nothing. I was getting them pretty regularly.