• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buyer wants to return this item because it's "a three button blazer not a two button." I listed it as 2 1/2 roll but in the item specifics said it's two-button.

Advice?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172762439429

You have to take the return.

In the future, the term you're looking for is 3-roll-2. And you'll want to list it as a three button in item specifics.

Edit: My apologies. I had never heard the term 2 1/2 roll so I assumed it wasn't a thing. Found another thread on SF with people talking about it. Still, you're going to have to take the return and put 3 button in item specifics when you relist.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to take the return.

In the future, the term you're looking for is 3-roll-2. And you'll want to list it as a three button in item specifics.

Edit: My apologies. I had never heard the term 2 1/2 roll so I assumed it wasn't a thing. Found another thread on SF with people talking about it. Still, you're going to have to take the return and put 3 button in item specifics when you relist.
I usually add 3/2 Roll to specifics when I list one

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any tips on buying a mannequin or male bust? Made a bit of money and looking to get myself one to up my picture game.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Investing in decent lighting (whether strobe or continuous) is key. If you can't see the texture of the fabric in some of the pics, you're not quite there. I still struggle with dark colors, even with 19 years of shooting and a lot of years working at post-processing images.

i have a magic corner in my place that gets indirect 3/4 natural lighting. there are pros/cons to any approach of course.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Any tips on buying a mannequin or male bust? Made a bit of money and looking to get myself one to up my picture game.

There are usually a bunch on your local Craigslist at around $50, and if you don't see the one you want right away, seems like there are new ones every week. The tips are as follows:
1. Use a torso-only mannequin. Legs and arms are a pointless waste of time.
2. Similarly, avoid ones that are set up in "poses" or with shoulders that are anything other than flat. A friend did that once, and it was a total pain, as all the images looked unbalanced (one shoulder was higher than the other).
3. Choose the top finish carefully (i.e. the part that's there instead of the head). It will show in many of your images. Best not to have a top that's reflective, or it will give you lighting headaches. Neutral colors are best.
4. The best size is about a US 40-42. Big guy stuff will still drape funny, but you'll be able to squeeze smaller stuff onto it OK.
5. Make sure the shoulders allow a proper suit drape. Some are cut off, and don't work so well. Mine has wooden shoulder "stumps" that can be removed for smaller jackets.
6. If you're planning on photographing long coats or similar, either get one with a high stand, or prepare to replace the base with a closet/curtain rod to get the height.
7. If you pin your garments, you'll need a soft mannequin, but if you clip them, either a soft or hard one will do (TWSS).
8. I generally prefer one with a hard surface, as I find that the clothing slips on and off easier/faster, and doesn't catch like it does on the fabric ones.

I'm sure someone will chime in with additional tips, but for me, that's about it. Happy hunting.

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine has stuffed sleeves that button onto the shoulders. It's great because it fills the sleeves out or you can leave them out there fill out bigger jackets. The lady I got it from said it was an old Macy's body form.

ialwayslose

Reaction score
is there a consensus on the best way to handle buyers who won an auction and are taking a long time to pay, or who end up as the highest bidder and then send you a message along the lines of: "Hey, my daughter bought this item by accident. I want to cancel the sale. Thank you." ?

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you can do is let an unpaid item case open and let it close naturally so he has a mark on his record. Do not agree to his request to cancel the transaction.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help with the maker of this sport coat for Coppley? Made in Canada. I thought it was Samuelsohn, but I got a PM saying they didn't think it was Samuelsohn and I think they might be right but I'm now drawing a blank on who the maker might be.

s-l1600.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jack victor is the other canadian maker that i know of. not up to date with the labels tho.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I thought that Samuelsohn, Jack Victor, and S Cohen were the only Canadian makers, but I think this is made by Coppley. Learn something new every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads