• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
I too like the haggle, but I only submit offers when the listing includes OBO. And I get annoyed when some one sends an offer on a listing w/o an OBO.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 25% Jewish so perhaps haggling is in my bloodline. I truly believe something is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I send offers in messages for BIN items all the time, usually along the lines of "I'm willing to pay $x.xx for this, if you are interested let me know because I will pay immediately". I don't see anything wrong with that and I'd say that 85% of the time an agreement is reached.

Now when you word it "I don't actually want that" and offer 40% of the listed value, I could see how that could be frustrating for sellers.
For what it's worth, when someone writes me a note with an offer and they say, "I will pay immediately", i get turned off and am slightly less likely to accept the offer. I can't really explain, but I've talked to other sellers who have had the same exact thought. I don't mind the haggling at all. Ignoring messages is easy enough and responding with counter offers is easy too, but for whatever reason, having 'i will pay immediately' added bugs me. My $0.02

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who complain about low offers have a mental deficiency. Its so easy to just ignore.

I can agree with this. Regardless if it's a lowball offer or just below my acceptance threshold, I have a copy and paste response:
"Thank you for the generous offer. Unfortunately, it is lower than I am willing to accept. Thank you for your interest."

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 25% Jewish so perhaps haggling is in my bloodline. I truly believe something is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I send offers in messages for BIN items all the time, usually along the lines of "I'm willing to pay $x.xx for this, if you are interested let me know because I will pay immediately". I don't see anything wrong with that and I'd say that 85% of the time an agreement is reached.

Now when you word it "I don't actually want that" and offer 40% of the listed value, I could see how that could be frustrating for sellers.
Haha, the I'll pay now part always gets me. Of course you'll pay, that's how transactions work. I am usually not bothered by lowball offers, but they're fun to ***** about. I will always counter even the most redonk lowball, it's a 15 second operation, and I do entertain offers on stuff I don't have OBO.

tonylamer

Reaction score

People who complain about low offers have a mental deficiency.  Its so easy to just ignore.

Kind of an aggressive (and certainly an insulting) statement. Especially on a thread which has as its premise discussing selling things online. Many things are easy to ignore; I think intelligent persons can still complain about them.

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of an aggressive (and certainly an insulting) statement. Especially on a thread which has as its premise discussing selling things online. Many things are easy to ignore; I think intelligent persons can still complain about them.
Meant to be aggressive, only insulting if you take it that way. I truly don't think its worth complaining about a low ball offer, negotiations are a normal part of life across the world and its a whole hell of a lot easier when you are hiding behind a keyboard. I don't respond to lowballs that don't even cover the cost of shipping, if its just a sub 50% of asking, i will counter with what i am willing to sell for and not worry about it.

Further, I am providing a tip that lots of people in this country could benefit from, don't get offended by things that don't matter.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Does anyone know why there are only a few or zero Carmina, C&J, Cheaney available one ebay? But there are a lot of Sutor mantellassi on there.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember who originally posted these (and thanks to whoever did - I use them on occasion), but, I'm wondering if that person could do me a huge proper and edit them for me / how I measure? If so ...

HUUUUUGE thank you to @jebarne for an updated set of images!!!
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads