• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't change the value. It's more than just against eBay rules, it's illegal.
I've gotten 100% less requests to do that since I added this to the bottom of my listings:

"Note to international buyers: It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees."

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you'll make for one sad eBay seller if they find out and ban you from selling anymore.

Don't change the value. It's more than just against eBay rules, it's illegal.
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mbaltazar

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is a buyer perspective. I buy from the US, but I live in Portugal. So customs may charge or not (it's a risk as they only check some shipments) the merchandise I buy. To be honest, I think it's a rip off what one pays for postage and, if customs get your purchase you can count with another 23% on top of the total value. If this happens, what was a good deal will turn into a really bad one quite quickly and probably cost you more than if bought "at home".

It's illegal, yeah but everybody does it and how can it be proved? As long as you pay your taxes, who cares?

I also don't care if things take 20 days to arrive, preferably by USPS ground. Chances to be stopped by customs are really lower.

Just to finish, a quick story; I buy some smoking stuff from the US, and the shop owner always send me the package saying "Fishing supplies", no invoice, no customs declaration, no registered delivery. I always received the goods, I'm always a happy returning customer ;-)

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is a buyer perspective. I buy from the US, but I live in Portugal. So customs may charge or not (it's a risk as they only check some shipments) the merchandise I buy. To be honest, I think it's a rip off what one pays for postage and, if customs get your purchase you can count with another 23% on top of the total value. If this happens, what was a good deal will turn into a really bad one quite quickly and probably cost you more than if bought "at home".

It's illegal, yeah but everybody does it and how can it be proved? As long as you pay your taxes, who cares?

I also don't care if things take 20 days to arrive, preferably by USPS ground. Chances to be stopped by customs are really lower.

Just to finish, a quick story; I buy some smoking stuff from the US, and the shop owner always send me the package saying "Fishing supplies", no invoice, no customs declaration, no registered delivery. I always received the goods, I'm always a happy returning customer ;-)
If you don't like it, buy within your own country. Your not just asking us to risk a single shipment, your asking some of these people to risk literally their livelihoods, or substantial second incomes that might go to pay for things like medicine, or mortgages, or student loan payments. For you to get a shirt $20 cheaper. That's just awful and selfish. And what do you lose if the shipment gets caught and the seller gets in trouble? Well, you lose a shirt, or a suit, what maybe $100, tops??

Last edited:

mbaltazar

Reaction score
@Koala-T
That's why I DON'T ASK for sellers to "be nice", because as you said and quote "...asking some of these people to risk literally their livelihoods, or substantial second incomes...". I bought items on eBay from 2 of you recently and I haven't asked for anything, just to send the stuff. So don't come and raise me moral issues because it won't work. Money is as hard, or even harder, to come by on this side of the pond as is on yours, and I also have to pay taxes, mortgage, schools, health and everything. So if I can save a $100, I will save a $100.

But that is not the question, and it's also not about me or you or about our moral standards or respect for law. It's about business decisions. What I meant to say is that I use the calculator before I buy another Borrelli shirt from abroad for $125. It sounds good, right? Perhaps not, because I can get a new one from an European site for around $165, not risking customs and other charges. So yes, in that case, I buy within my country or within EU. It's a simple business decision, not a moral one.

Another thing is that this question is surely far from being unanimous amongst sellers like you. You don't do it, great. But others do, and have a different perspective from yours. That doesn't make you right, making all the others wrong. I respect and understand both sides. You should too.

masaccio

Reaction score
Seller lists item BINOBO.

Buyer (me) makes offer at 2/3rds BIN price.
Seller makes counter offer at BIN price.
censored.gif

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. You're asking people to consider breaking international trade laws to save you a few bucks. That could cost many people tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue per year if they are caught. No offense, but keep your money on that side of the pond.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Koala-T
That's why I DON'T ASK for sellers to "be nice", because as you said and quote "...asking some of these people to risk literally their livelihoods, or substantial second incomes...". I bought items on eBay from 2 of you recently and I haven't asked for anything, just to send the stuff. So don't come and raise me moral issues because it won't work. Money is as hard, or even harder, to come by on this side of the pond as is on yours, and I also have to pay taxes, mortgage, schools, health and everything. So if I can save a $100, I will save a $100.

But that is not the question, and it's also not about me or you or about our moral standards or respect for law. It's about business decisions. What I meant to say is that I use the calculator before I buy another Borrelli shirt from abroad for $125. It sounds good, right? Perhaps not, because I can get a new one from an European site for around $165, not risking customs and other charges. So yes, in that case, I buy within my country or within EU. It's a simple business decision, not a moral one.

Another thing is that this question is surely far from being unanimous amongst sellers like you. You don't do it, great. But others do, and have a different perspective from yours. That doesn't make you right, making all the others wrong. I respect and understand both sides. You should too.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Koala-T

Quick question because I'm curious.

Whats considered tax evasion in your country? Asking someone to falsify forms knowing it will allow you to evade taxes?

I am not fluent in other countries laws, and really am more curious if there are repercussions for it.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
@Koala-T

Nah I feel ya. Customs suck. I'd hate to be paying customs and it's not something I have had to experience yet. I always do my best to help out my International customers in pricing areas where I can so they can save a few bucks cause I know many get slammed with customs fees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads