1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I should attach a camera to my head and shoot a video of how I iron shirts for listings. I generally can do one in about 1-2minutes each.

You have to hit the areas of view. Collar, placket, entire front, both arms - done. No back. Shirt fully buttoned for speed, unless you have to do the collar real quick, then I unbutton the top 2 and be done with it.

Also, Dan, those pictures are on point! Looks great!

And I'll agree, shirts are usually lower in value - but they are my #1 category for sheer volume. I treat them like ties, they are attention grabbers. And usually ever week, I'll cross sale multiple shirts, or a shirt and tie together. In the past 90 days, my average shirt sale is 32.00.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

Hi, I bought an item for above 500$, shipped from China, value marked down to 100 dollars and shipped as a gift (I didn't even ask the seller to do so, but I've got to say I do the same most of the time).
    The package arrived in my country (in the EU) 5 days ago, but I haven't received it yet. I went down to the local post office and was told I needed to provide more info, in particular a proof of payment (Visa or paypal). I guess they suspect the seller marked down the value, and they are right. What are my options here?
    I had a pretty similar case, I bought another item from Canada a few weeks ago and I had to pay directly the custom fees to the postman to get my package, they didn't ask further information...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

You'll probably have to pay duties on the full amount, though I'm sure you're expecting that already.

I'd go ahead and provide the proof; you didn't mark it down, and you can honestly say you didn't ask for it to be done and had no control over the seller's actions. You shouldn't be in any trouble, I'd think.

4. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

That's the answer I was expecting indeed.
    What happens if I just don't move? (I was told shipping would be returned after 30 days)

5. suited

suited Senior member

Same here. Only worth picking up a few brands that are in mint condition. Under rare circumstances, my brand list would expand slightly if the shirt is super, super cheap (under $5) and in mint condition.

I would say this applies to pants as well. A long time ago I used to pickup brooks brothers and polo, and decided that it's not worth the time (minus very rare exceptions like an awesome tartan pattern, etc.). I won't buy anything that's pleated, and will only pickup flat front if they are mint and very high-end.

6. Connorh

Connorh Active Member

If a buyer left positive feedback for a watch I sold, but now says the product is not as described will I be forced by eBay to give a refund? If so, is it best to fight him over it or should I tell him to send it back and then I'll reimburse him? It was a rather expensive sale, so I really don't want to take it back if it's possible to fight it..

7. OolongT

OolongT Senior member

The fact that the buyer has left positive feedback already will have no bearing on whether or not they can now open and/or win a case against you for the item being not as described. It is, however, and huge "win" for you in that they cannot neg you if they are not happy with how this plays out.

Its hard to determine whether it makes sense to fight without any of the details. Is their merit to their claim that the watch is not as you described it?

8. Letric

Letric Senior member

Same here. I'm not buying a whole lot of pants these days. I used to pick up Zegna anything, Zanella anything (as long as they weren't yellow inside), Luciano Barbera pleated, etc. I am limiting it to just the primo FF Zanellas, primo mint Zegnas, Incotex, Bill's Khakis, and good denim of course. I wouldn't pass up suit pants from Isaia, Kiton, Oxxford, Brioni, etc though... as long as they weren't destroyed. I also will get PRL or BB if they are NWT and absolutely mint / sellable size, as I have flipped some in the past for good money.

Pants in general seem to be slow movers for me, even at cheap starting bids. You really have to have some nice styles and labels to get good action on them. I haven't sold any actual pants in a long-ass time. I will have to post some soon, as I have some incredible ones built up right now...

Also, while we're on the subject of things we're cutting back on buying/selling.. what kind of belts do people choose to sell on ebay? What brands/styles/sizes of belts have you had the best luck with, and what belts will you not purchase/obtain for reselling?

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

All of my shirts are folded and stacked in 15 x 10 x 6 ULine boxes with the top flaps up and taped in place to make the box tall and open. The boxes are on shelves and are labeled by classification (US OCBD, US White, US Blue, US Stripes and Colors, Non Iron White, etc).

1 person likes this.
  10. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

Legit exotic skins (gator/croc etc) pretty much anything from Allen Edmonds, vineyard vines on the woven/non leather front. I don't really mess with Trafalgar or Coach too much anymore unless its crazy cheap and mint. There aren't usually a ton of belts around here, just like shoes I think people tend to run them into the ground.

11. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Any idea if this is legit? The inside Ittierre tag looks super legit to me but the collar tags look weird. And this is the crappiest shirt I've ever handled (80% poly, feels like shit)........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tom Pepper

Tom Pepper Senior member

If a seller has "hassle free returns" are they negatively impacted by a return or are they only negatively impacted if they get an "item not as described" type of return?

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Someone may be able to correct me as that program isn't available here as far as I know, but I think it does when it's categorized as such. However, don't necessarily let that stop you if the item truly was not as described. Defects, while hated by a good number of sellers, do hold us accountable for our own products.

One of the US based sellers can come in and clarify/correct me.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Has anyone on the east coast been having a rash of late deliveries to the west coast? As in, sending package on time, leaving NY on time, but no updates for like 10 days?

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I've gotten similar letters. Normally, they will send me a certified letter from customs if they think something is over OR undervalued. I have the option of emailing them the PayPal or ebay receipt, if available. For true gifts, they've released it and delivered within 24 hours. If I owe, I pay the given amount to pick it up. It sounds like they don't believe the marked value and want you to prove it. You may, however, still end up paying duty on the declared amount...because they're being bureaucratic and don't care. If they charge you on the full amount, you can pay it and receive it. If you choose not to accept it, it's sent back to the seller. However, you likely won't be able to claim a return via ebay (though possibly through PayPal). That would be a bad move on your part, you agreed to buy something, customs isn't his responsibility.

You shouldn't be in trouble either way...you are being upfront and honest on what you paid. Should you choose to ignore it, it's possible your address could be flagged and future deliveries impacted.

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Checked my most recent - to LA area has been 2 to 3 days; one to Alaska in 4 days. No issues here but I've shipped way fewer than you.

17. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

I have had at least 3 packages lately like that, dealing with one right now

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its quite frustrating. I have 5-6 people who paid on 4/5, I shipped on 4/6, processed through the main NY facility on 4/7, and then poof. :cloud:

19. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Yea I'm not very happy about it and neither is the person that is demanding I go to the post office to investigate

20. SpooPoker

+1