• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

TintinATL

Reaction score

Herky210

Reaction score
Hello, I like the look of the Brompton, reminds me of a simple handled portfolio case. The G&G website doesn't list the price (their contact page states they are out thru mid-August) and Bespoke-England only appears to carry their shoes. I'd assume it is in the same price range as their shoes, but was hoping someone here knew. Forum search didn't turn up anything. Thanks!
Originally Posted by 888style
Upper right???

Brompton1.jpg
it is called Brompton from G&G

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom leather briefcase from Unknown (Scott Willis). Six ounce veg-tanned leather cowhide leather, straps are made from veg - tanned horsehide, pockets are veg - tanned calf.

Got response from first inquiry after about a week; after that we exchanged numerous emails discussing design, and he made everything exactly like I asked him to. I asked him to use the Narragansett Leathers briefcase as inspiration, because I really like the design and they're not taking any more orders till 2012.

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/brief.html

I won't say the exact price, but it's definitely below the Glaser pricepoint; it depends on exactly what you want him to do, and he's very accommodating, a pleasure to communicate with and is very knowledgeable. Now that my brother has seen my bag, he's thinking of getting one exactly like it.

I also added my initials on it where they can't be seen when the flap is closed, just to add some more personalization, with appearing pretentious.

2ldyfpc.jpg

27y5r9i.jpg

With pockets added:

if23hv.jpg

dzbl7b.jpg

eu08cy.jpg

zx1fgo.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello, I like the look of the Brompton, reminds me of a simple handled portfolio case. The G&G website doesn't list the price (their contact page states they are out thru mid-August) and Bespoke-England only appears to carry their shoes. I'd assume it is in the same price range as their shoes, but was hoping someone here knew. Forum search didn't turn up anything. Thanks!
Originally Posted by 888style
Upper right???

Brompton1.jpg
it is called Brompton from G&G
sorry i have only jsut seen this now, best to email Tony or Dean for a price G looks great mate!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It looks very good. Reminds me of the epi leather briefcase from LV.

I think you mean Taiga? The epi is quite a different grain.

I like the styling as well, though (perhaps it is just the picture) but the inside looks a little "unfinished" to me with the edging and such visible and warped in places. Given the simplicity/refined classic style of the outside, I'd want the same type of finish inside. Again, it may just be the pics. But, overall, a good looking bag that you probably will get a lot of use from.

Curious what made you pick that style and color? Did you add any specific "tweaks" of your own? Just wondering as it's a very standard/classic style and so I wondered if you "adapted" anything. If not, or if it was a standard model (just handmade), I'm curious what makes it stand out from dozens of brands from which you can get similar styles. I think bespoke leather goods are the time to tweak or play around with things a little bit... a black brief seems so... "safe." ;) Very dark espresso brown, or taupe edging, a hint of blue, I dunno... something to make it feel like you couldn't get it anywhere else.

And, can you give us an idea of pricing? Turnaround time? How were they to work with (customer service/responsiveness/etc.)? Customizable options, colors, leather types, etc.?

sorry i have only jsut seen this now, best to email Tony or Dean for a price

G looks great mate!

I've been looking at this bag for weeks here, and though nobody asked my opinion (haha), I've been unable to pick exactly what makes me NOT like this bag. I SHOULD like it... I like top handled briefs in classic styles and unique colors, but looking at it, everything is "off" to my eye by about 2%. It seems "over" designed, quite frankly. I'm sure the quality is lovely, and the colors and detailing look nice... but it just feels like too many design elements were added in to make it look "unique." The result just feels... odd... to my eye.

The way the edges slope slightly at the top, the strange organmental detail (is that a buttress? support?), the small stitching of the "feet" or runner along the bottom, the elongated patches where the handles attach (they extend nearly to the middle of the bag), and the overall large, visible stitching... just say "too much" to me. Which is strange, because it's still obviously a classic/simple brief.

I'm sure the quality is great, and again... nobody asked for my review... I just think sometimes it's important/interesting/useful to discuss what makes a "great" bag "great," and how an accumulation of VERY small, otherwise "good" elements (like small design tweaks) can lessen the overall effect. Taking something like an Hermes Sac a depeche, Valextra Premier (or Avietta pilot bag), or even the Prada Saffiano Document case (which, obviously, are all very different bags), is a useful exercise. Every hint, every stitch, is just right. Every design element is necessary. There is nothing you could add, or take away, that would make the bag better.

Again, this isn't speaking negatively to G&G, but I figure constructive criticism from members or potential clients is always helpful, especially since they are not historically bag makers.

Would also be interested in pricing, so if somebody finds out, please give us a range.

For example, here are a few pics of what I mean:
ry7rU.jpg

E1qEG.png

4gZZg.jpg

XewE1.jpg

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks very good. Reminds me of the epi leather briefcase from LV.

I like the styling as well, though (perhaps it is just the picture) but the inside looks a little "unfinished" to me with the edging and such visible and warped in places. Given the simplicity/refined classic style of the outside, I'd want the same type of finish inside. Again, it may just be the pics. But, overall, a good looking bag that you probably will get a lot of use from.

Curious what made you pick that style and color? Did you add any specific "tweaks" of your own? Just wondering as it's a very standard/classic style and so I wondered if you "adapted" anything. If not, or if it was a standard model (just handmade), I'm curious what makes it stand out from dozens of brands from which you can get similar styles. I think bespoke leather goods are the time to tweak or play around with things a little bit... a black brief seems so... "safe." ;) Very dark espresso brown, or taupe edging, a hint of blue, I dunno... something to make it feel like you couldn't get it anywhere else.

And, can you give us an idea of pricing? Turnaround time? How were they to work with (customer service/responsiveness/etc.)? Customizable options, colors, leather types, etc.?

sorry i have only jsut seen this now, best to email Tony or Dean for a price

G looks great mate!

I've been looking at this bag for weeks here, and though nobody asked my opinion (haha), I've been unable to pick exactly what makes me NOT like this bag. I SHOULD like it... I like top handled briefs in classic styles and unique colors, but looking at it, everything is "off" to my eye by about 2%. It seems "over" designed, quite frankly. I'm sure the quality is lovely, and the colors and detailing look nice... but it just feels like too many design elements were added in to make it look "unique." The result just feels... odd... to my eye.

The way the edges slope slightly at the top, the strange organmental detail (is that a buttress? support?), the small stitching of the "feet" or runner along the bottom, the elongated patches where the handles attach (they extend nearly to the middle of the bag), and the overall large, visible stitching... just say "too much" to me. Which is strange, because it's still obviously a classic/simple brief.

I'm sure the quality is great, and again... nobody asked for my review... I just think sometimes it's important/interesting/useful to discuss what makes a "great" bag "great," and how an accumulation of VERY small, otherwise "good" elements (like small design tweaks) can lessen the overall effect. Taking something like an Hermes Sac a depeche, Valextra Premier (or Avietta pilot bag), or even the Prada Saffiano Document case (which, obviously, are all very different bags), is a useful exercise. Every hint, every stitch, is just right. Every design element is necessary. There is nothing you could add, or take away, that would make the bag better.

Again, this isn't speaking negatively to G&G, but I figure constructive criticism from members or potential clients is always helpful, especially since they are not historically bag makers.

Would also be interested in pricing, so if somebody finds out, please give us a range.

For example, here are a few pics of what I mean:
ry7rU.jpg

E1qEG.png

4gZZg.jpg

XewE1.jpg

all these are very good points, and like you i also feel some elements are pointless, i perfer a cleaner look more like the one you posted

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Actually i purchased the leather (blue and not black, BTW!) on eBay after seeing a pair of shoes shoefan made with it. It was on discount back then so I rashly bought it before deciding what to do with it :embar:

I heard about The J Myers Company later on and decided to give him a try using this hide. I wanted a everyday carryall briefcase to shove things in, so no fancy details for me other than the 3 large internal pockets he made as requested, and the RiRi zippers/nickel over solid brass hardware used. My tastes tend toward the conservative, so a simple, quality bag handmade locally is special enough for me.

The use of piping like the Pradas you posted would probably have resulted in a cleaner finish, but I chose to go without it. On hindsight this might not have been the best idea.

Jeremiah is running a one man show at the moment, and I think he's quickly realized he cant deal with the volume.. as such he's stopped taking orders for most bespoke orders and is working towards specializing in gadget cases, watch straps, and belts. Don't think theres a point mentioning the price of my bag since this is the case, but his small leather goods are well priced at US$100ish per pop AFAIK. I put in the order for my bag in April (?) and took delivery at end Aug, but i think the small leather goods should have a much quicker turnaround.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics