• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yoshii

Reaction score

you get what you pay for la!!

For only $20 you get a super exclusive badge.
Now whether it's super exclusive because of its rarity/price tag, or because no one in their right mind wants one, is another matter entirely ;)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two beautiful SAB pieces (and compared to their "branded" brethren on the site) a decent price. $1230 for the brief and $1500 for the holdall (again, not cheap, but considering ferragamo will charge $1800-2500 for poorly made crap...)

EKVgZ.jpg

u1vYr.jpg

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Two beautiful SAB pieces (and compared to their "branded" brethren on the site) a decent price. $1230 for the brief and $1500 for the holdall (again, not cheap, but considering ferragamo will charge $1800-2500 for poorly made crap...)

EKVgZ.jpg

u1vYr.jpg

both od these are nice - dunhill had some nice trad made bridle bag a few seasons back, have you seen them??

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

both od these are nice - dunhill had some nice trad made bridle bag a few seasons back, have you seen them??

I haven't seen them in person, but may go take a look as there are several large Dunhill stores near me.

My issue with Dunhill is that they have so many lines, some of which are very nice (like the bridle cases mentioned here), others of which are really abysmal crap, with tacky patterns to the fabric/leather, cheap leathers, glue showing on the edges, really cheap hardware, and icky linings. It's hard to weed them out and the range from low to high is so extreme I largely stopped looking to Dunhill as a "go to" brand.

That being said, they DO know how to make nice stuff, when they want to do so. It's just that it's hard to see sometimes and so they've fallen off my radar. The past 3-4 times I've been in a Dunhill store it's been very disappointing.

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen them in person, but may go take a look as there are several large Dunhill stores near me.

My issue with Dunhill is that they have so many lines, some of which are very nice (like the bridle cases mentioned here), others of which are really abysmal crap, with tacky patterns to the fabric/leather, cheap leathers, glue showing on the edges, really cheap hardware, and icky linings. It's hard to weed them out and the range from low to high is so extreme I largely stopped looking to Dunhill as a "go to" brand.

That being said, they DO know how to make nice stuff, when they want to do so. It's just that it's hard to see sometimes and so they've fallen off my radar. The past 3-4 times I've been in a Dunhill store it's been very disappointing.

Dunhill has Made in Italy and Made in England for bags AFAIK. You know where the good stuff is made.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dunhill has Made in Italy and Made in England for bags AFAIK. You know where the good stuff is made.

You can still have a low quality, glued together bag made in Italy or England. You can also have a well made bag constructed in China (the older Samsonite Black Label or Lambertson Truex bags, mostly made in China, were great bangs-for-buck.)

Where it's made doesn't matter as much as what they make it WITH. A lot of Dunhill is not well made; glued together, low-quality leathers, bad lining, and cheap hardware. I've given the bags thorough "goings over" on many occasions; there are four Dunhill flagship stores within an hour of me and about 15 smaller Dunhill store-in-stores.

Some bags/leather goods are nice, but like I said, so many were crap for the $$$ that I largely stopped looking. I may give them another perusal and perhaps the last season or two have seen a commitment to putting out nicer stuff across-the-board, but in the past five years... of their many lines, some are simply not that great and you'd never even give them a second glance if it didn't have "DUNHILL" written on it.

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can still have a low quality, glued together bag made in Italy or England. You can also have a well made bag constructed in China (the older Samsonite Black Label or Lambertson Truex bags, mostly made in China, were great bangs-for-buck.)

Where it's made doesn't matter as much as what they make it WITH. A lot of Dunhill is not well made; glued together, low-quality leathers, bad lining, and cheap hardware. I've given the bags thorough "goings over" on many occasions; there are four Dunhill flagship stores within an hour of me and about 15 smaller Dunhill store-in-stores.

Some bags/leather goods are nice, but like I said, so many were crap for the $$$ that I largely stopped looking. I may give them another perusal and perhaps the last season or two have seen a commitment to putting out nicer stuff across-the-board, but in the past five years... of their many lines, some are simply not that great and you'd never even give them a second glance if it didn't have "DUNHILL" written on it.

No need to get all philosophical. Go have a look. The MiE Dunhill is a different beast from the MiI ones.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No need to get all philosophical. Go have a look. The MiE Dunhill is a different beast from the MiI ones.

Ah, I see what you mean now. It wasn't clear from your first post (which read to me like a blanket statement that MiI and MiE automatically meant good quality).

Yes, agreed. Most of the lackluster stuff I handled was MiI, or also made in France (IIRC)

Last edited:

RDStyle

Reaction score
I just got a hold of a bad a few day ago but it has no branding, was wondering if anyone with a good eye could tell me a little bit more about it.
The bag came with a key for the lock with the letters "CGV" on it, this only lead me to a picture and no information on the bag.
Either way, I'm quite happy with the briefcase, it feels good.

Thanks in advance,
-RD

iherald

Reaction score

EKVgZ.jpg

That is a beautiful bag. I'm looking to buy my first briefcase, and love the simple lines of this one, Valentrex, and Prada but they are pretty darn expensive. I've seen some posts on here for people that are buying bags from smaller manufactures that appear to be much less expensive, for example Narragansett Leathers . I don't want to buy cheap, but ideally I don't want to pay just for a name. Does anyone have any experience with a similar "clean/minimalist" briefcase similar to this one that's less than $1000?

Also, I went on the SAB website and it appears the above bag is closer to $1500 when you convert from Pounds. Any idea where you can get it for $1200?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads