• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands/Trends

Crockett

Reaction score
Crockett, they probably were. They were from a street vendor on a weekend trip to Strasbourg. Ah the life of a military brat.
I remember a friend found some that were spelled that way. He gave them to me because I am a Ferrari fan. I laughed for about three hours when I saw them (they also folded up). He thought they were really made by Ferrari.

mnemonic

Reaction score
uh.
62-10-115c_1.jpg
dominate.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Oh, I remember those all too well. What were they called, British (Kicks)? Those things were all over the place.

Etruscan

Reaction score
Circa mid-1980s: Matinique/InWear. Anyone else remember?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in SoHo about a year ago and saw a ton of new BKs in some shoe store for $20 a pair. They must've been shooting for a revival; no such luck I guess.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How about LA Gear hightops with the three different laces that you were supposed to weave through the eyelets? They ripped off the "pump" thing from Nike. This would have been about 1991-2.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British Knights became widely (wildly?) described as "gang insignia" shoes because certain Crip sets wore them and referred to them as "Blood Killers." That may have been the inspiration for the lesser known Columbia Knights shoes (CK = Crip Killers).

Ah, gangsta chic of the '80s. Just thinking about it makes me want to hop in my car and drive through the warm LA afternoon blasting NWA. Too bad I'm drafting a motion to dismiss securities fraud claims--gangstas of a different stripe.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, gangsta chic of the '80s. Â Just thinking about it makes me want to hop in my car and drive through the warm LA afternoon blasting NWA. Â Too bad I'm drafting a motion to dismiss securities fraud claims--gangstas of a different stripe.
laugh.gif
After the first Dr. Dre video came out we had an influx of that.. Ben Davis shirts, et al. I have also been informed that I misspoke when I attributed the original pump shoe to Nike. Apparently they were made by Reebok. We regret any inconvenience caused by this error.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
How about LA Gear hightops with the three different laces that you were supposed to weave through the eyelets? They ripped off the "pump" thing from Nike. This would have been about 1991-2.
Anyone else remember when LA Gear tried to be a legit athletic shoe? I think they signed Magic Johnson to an endorsement deal and he actually wore them while playing for the Lakers.

Of course I was in high school when Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out, so I had to have a pair of checkered Vans, and lots of shirts and shorts from OP, Town & Country and Zogs Sex Wax. I also had a great pair of white drawstring pants from PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) - Boy was I gnarly back then.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j,April 08 2005,14:10
Anyone else remember when LA Gear tried to be a legit athletic shoe? I think they signed Magic Johnson to an endorsement deal and he actually wore them while playing for the Lakers. Of course I was in high school when Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out, so I had to have a pair of checkered Vans, and lots of shirts and shorts from OP, Town & Country and Zogs Sex Wax. I also had a great pair of white drawstring pants from PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) - Boy was I gnarly back then.
Remember the Hakeem Olajuwon versions with the lights in the heel.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kotler pants from Chess King -- my worst junior high memory, with the possible exception of the thin black pleather tie.

I didn't even put on a pair of jeans until age 24. I lived in BD Baggies shirts for a while in high school.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else remember when LA Gear tried to be a legit athletic shoe? I think they signed Magic Johnson to an endorsement deal and he actually wore them while playing for the Lakers.

There's a great book (gave it to my bro for Christmas) about sneakers. One of the best quotes in the book was to the effect that the author knew that Carl Malone would never win an NBA championship after he signed an endorsement contract with LA Gear.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys were a lot more aware fashion-wise than I was in grade school. Hmm, the worst satorial memory I have from school is the No Fear t-shirts down to my knees and just buying everything way too big. I found a really cool knit rugby sweater in the summer that I used to wear in Grade 8 and it fits me like a sail now. I can't imagine what I looked like then. Oh yeah, trend-wise I remember-

~The snap bracelet
~The bowl cut
~The pastel coloured Club Monaco/Espirt/Jordache sweatshirt

And Etruscan I remember lot's of Matnique and InWear stuff. I think I still have a few black t-shirts from them.

A.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads