• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands/Trends

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The musings on the sunglasses thread about Jordache and No Fear got me thinking... What clothes/brands were SF members jonesin for before they saw the light and started wearing MTM sport coats, american apparel t's, unwashed denim, and mccallum chukkas (I hope no one's wearing that together). A few to start it up: Hypercolor Redsand Fresh Jive Stussy shirts/hats Chain wallets Baja jackets Alright, what were you wearing at 13?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pacific (OP) corduroy shorts -- I had a pair in beige and a pair in neon yellow.  
Anything by Bugle Boy.  What happened to that brand, anyways?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
OP and Hang Ten were really popular when i was a kid

brands i am surprised are "back" after having been "in, then out":
Le Tigre
Fila
Lacoste (seemed to have faded away after being "Izod Lacoste" thruout the 90s)

brands i've worn since the 80s but are now "in" (to my dismay, cant wait for this stuff to be "out"):
Fred Perry
Ben Sherman
Merc
Doc Martens (arent these becoming "out" nowadays?)

Brian SD

Reaction score
Chuck Taylors and Jack Purcells (I wore Chucks exclusively from the time I was 6 until I was 15). For some time, those "PLASTIK" shirts were pretty trendy that had the manga-style drawings on them. No Fear, of course. Had some skate clothing too, from BLIND and World Industries. When I turned like 14, I started wearing black Dickies pants (28x30 - I haven't changed much
biggrin.gif
) and a black band t-shirt from <insert punk rock band> every . single . day. I still have my Clash shirt, ramones, Dead Kennedys, Gang of Four and a couple At the Drive-In from back in the day.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who remember the mid-80's, Jams shorts were &quot;it&quot; during the summer. These were knee length shorts in really loud and obnoxious Hawaiian shirt patterns (I think I owned three pairs).

Jeff

thelakes

Reaction score
I had Jams. Waaay back in the day I had a maroon Members Only jacket that i sported with a pair of &quot;ferrari&quot; sunglasses. I was 10 i think. The uniform in H.S was clothes form this store called Britches that was in Northern VA/ D.C. area paired with timberlands. Maybe a Cure or Depeche mode Tshirt when you were feeling trendy. I wasnt quit as hip as the people who shopped at Chess King.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Stussy and Mossimo were the main ones I remember

There was the prep-gangsta look with the jeans, woven leather belt (extra long and tucked into a pocket), Sperrys or Timberlands, a white T-shirt and a chambray shirt or similar open over top.

And then Unionbay cords, Simple or Etnies shoes, an Alien Workshop shirt, chain wallet, and bad attitude.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted Etnies on the favorite sneakers thread, I'll throw in some skate shoes I was a fan of: Simple Airwalk (I saw some new Airwalks recently - wow) Vans (Half Cabs, Salman Agahs, chukkas) Basically the entire California Cheap Skates catalog, whatever was hot in TWS, and maybe a Pavement tshirt. Brian, nice on the DK shirt. And
hypercolor3ls.jpg

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
A black Member's Only jacket and Z-Cavarachi jeans.  I believe that I also had one or two pairs of parachute pants.  Oh yea, and the Britches shirts with the warthog on them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Airwalk (I saw some new Airwalks recently - wow) ... Basically the entire California Cheap Skates catalog, ...
Man, I had the best Airwalks.. I still wish I could get another pair of those. Black suede hightops with big velcro ollie guards over the laces. I used to drool over the Cheap Skates catalog with my friends every day at recess.
smile.gif

Cake

Reaction score
Acid wash, zip fly, Guess jeans
Ocean Pacific T-shirts (mantle assumed by QuickSilver)
Doc Marteens
Perry Ellis anything denim
Vuarnet sunglasses
Sweatshirts
Jostens class rings
The Motorola StarTac (wow)

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
parachute pants. dunno who the original brand was. bugle boy?

umbro shorts were popular, for some reason.

and the jacket that michael jackson wore in 'beat it'.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot my grey Member's Only jacket. Did anyone see Shallow Hal? Gwyneth Paltrow sees Jason Alexander wearing a Member's Only jacket and says something like, "Wow, a Member's Only jacket...so what are you, like the last member?"
smile.gif
My sister had the Michael Jackson jacket with all of the zippers. Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads